DIRECTV Reviews | Glassdoor

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated June 7, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 38 reviews)

"Software Enginner - Contractor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

I thought that the manager was a good, laid back manager. Work can be challenging, if that is plus.

Cons

I always wondered why DirecTV hires so many contractors to do software development work. There is another building purely for contract workers, primarily Indians. I realized that this is probably because they don't have to pay benefits, retirement, or other bonuses. Typical.

I didn't like the fact that the manager gives you a project, based on some unknown platform developed by a small company, and tells you to get it done. That's fine. However, I had to rely heavily on the third party who developed that platform to do the software development work. In fact, there were some parts that only they knew how to do. So I and the project lead needed help. No documentation whatsoever. They didn't really end up helping that much at all because they said the DirecTV manager didn't discuss this 'extra work' with them. In other words, they wanted additional payment in order to help with finishing the project. I thought I did all that I could, but in the end was given the boot. Very political, because the lead whom I working with could not hit the scheduled date, he probably blamed it on me in order to save his own butt. Jeez, i thought he was a cool guy.

This is purely an example of bad management. The manager thinks he can just hand off a large project to a new contractor based on a platform no one on the team quite understands. This wasn't even java, or any of the other major programming languages. Before handing off a project, the job of a manager is to ensure that the team or someone will come to know how to do it in the first place. Also, management decisions are purely political. Just because of hearsay from full time employees, that's enough for the manager to make termination decisions. No formal process. Anyways, this is probably also because of the recent AT&T merger with DirecTV where i've heard that management is undergoing significant changes in policies.

Advice to Management

Even though contractors are at will hires, meaning you can fire them any time, doesn't mean you should treat them like cattle. Ensure that you are getting input from both sides of the isle before making a decision to let someone go.

"AT&T Ruined DirecTV"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck, so it could be worse.

Cons

Huge amounts of unnecessary red tape and 1990's old-guard business culture were brought in with the acquisition by AT&T. It will take several more years for the dust to settle - until then I would not suggest working for DirecTV. There is simply too much uncertainty in the transition.

Advice to Management

If you are considered Legacy DirecTV Management, you won't be there for long. AT&T has been laying off DirecTV Supervisors, Managers, Directors, and S/VPs during their "organization optimization" directives.

3. "Finance manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

Great people, great company while it was Directv.

Cons

Now a part of AT&T

4. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and the people are good. The building is also very nice. Perks are good compared to other call centers in the area.

Cons

AT&T came is and ruined DIRECTV. So many changes are coming across all sectors of the company. DIRECT was all about the people and the culture and now they are shipping all the jobs offshore.

Advice to Management

Very sad. Management is actually great. Just be transparent and keep the lines of communication open.

"ATT merger sapping the life....."

Current Employee - Installer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be something special...now, not so much.
    Entry level job at a major corp that requires no college degree. Decent benefits. Living wage. Company vehicle you can take home.

Cons

Draconian pay cuts post merger with little lead time. Elimination of tech promotion tiers give not much to work towards within the field other than not getting fired. Pie in the Sky bonus metrics that assure bonuses will be scant. Penalties for using PTO for sick time without prior approval. Basically, its just another entry level/dead end job grinding away on the clock for The Man with poor life/work balance and no real incentive to excel. If you have the time to get certifications/education that ATT deems to be in demand, than you might get somewhere. Mind you, you still might be working 10-12 days while having to find time for classes that ATT won't pay you for.

Advice to Management

Creating a throwaway workforce is going to be harmful on the long run. Promotion road maps consisting of lateral moves from entry level tech positions to entry level call center/retailer positions is not a journey that screams opportunity.

"Favoritism at its finest"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DIRECTV (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good people to work with, great work environment

Cons

There was and is some hardcore favoritism going on. Blatant sexual harassment. I worked there nearly three years and was passed over for opportunities because I wasn't a favorite. Also the schedule is a joke. How is anyone supposed to have a life outside of this place if there is no consistentconsistent schedule.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employee and don't lie. We were told there would be no major changes and there were.

"AT&T Took Over"

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Grand Terrace, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Grand Terrace, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Directv and 50% off on all AT&T services (uverse, cell, alarm, etc)

Cons

Since AT&T took over I have seen many great people, experts in their fields leave. AT&T gave early retirements, offered good people salaries way below what Directv was paying them. Many of the higher ups left early in the process.

Advice to Management

Look at your people, they are not just numbers.

"DIRECTV was an awesome place to work... until AT&T"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was an excellent team environment. Great perks and benefits. DIRECTV was all about employee moral and taking care of their customers.

Cons

Once AT&T took over you could see that their motivation is different than DIRECTV. They do not care about moral, customers, benefits. It's all about the bottom line. AT&T took something great and destroyed it.

Advice to Management

None to give. The managers hands are tied by what AT&T wants. My advice is to get out while you can.

9. "Awesome Prior To AT&T Merger"

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Take home vehicle, gas card and tools are provided. Also enjoy being able to work alone and not confined to an office.

Cons

Ever since AT&T took over its been really hard to adapt to the changes that are taking place. We currently took a huge pay cut when going from piece rate to hourly and it wasn't for the better of the employee.

Some of the guys at my shop make anywhere from $14.09 an hour to $24.00 an hour. The guys with low wages they promised we would be able to work overtime to make up for what we have loss and now that we finally went hourly they are trying to cut down the overtime already and limiting what we can work.

Management lies constantly when they come in to present new ideas to the technicians such as saying we will be able to work overtime then telling us no. They honestly don't give a crap about the technicians anymore when DIRECTV did.

DIRECTV used to pay and treat the technicians very well and we didn't have any complaints now that the death star took over its been a constant fight and struggle.

Advice to Management

Stop with the lies, just be honest and don't promise overtime if you can fulfill it. Don't tell employees it will get better when it keeps going down. Fight more for your technicians to make a decent livable wage after all you guys aren't ANYTHING without them.

10. "Directv"

Current Employee - Retail Services in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Services in Denver, CO

I have been working at DIRECTV (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with a lot of Great great employees.

Cons

Manage is not always open to new ideals.

Showing 163 of 1,359 reviews