DIRECTV Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,232 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 38 reviews)

"The absolute worst company to work for"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Cleveland, OH

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wish was there was any. Cannot think of anything good to say . There are reasons why I left and will never go back again

Cons

From top to bottom , ex employee and customer I can say that by far worst company to deal on all ends

Advice to Management

Do something about your service

2. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Pros

1. Good Company and has Long future.

Cons

1.Lot of Old technologies are using. need Upgrade.
    2. Unnecessary layers of Teams.

3. "Sr. Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including health and educational

Cons

Not too many if you were lucky enough to have a great boss

4. "Customer Service"

Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Representative in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Customer Service Representative in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV (More than a year)

Pros

Helping customers fix their issue and making them feel good about the company.

Cons

When you get a long phone call

"Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Huntington, WV

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Prior to ATT the company truly cared about customer service and its employees. Free DIRECTV, daily, weekly and monthly incentives. Health insurance was great.

Cons

Post ATT the company is focused on profits and not customer service. Employees are a number and easily disposed. Benefits are poor and the only way to advance to to be part of the "in crowd."

Advice to Management

Bring it back to focusing on people. DIRECTV was the number one television provider because it cared about people.

"Access Card Distribution"

Former Employee - Access Card Distribution in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Access Card Distribution in Huntsville, AL

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a job. Granted they paid more than other places.

Cons

Benefits suck.
    Directv allows their customers to walk all over the Directv employees. It is always the employees fault no matter how badly CSR are treated by the customer.
    The CSR (employees) are not allowed to do proper troubleshooting. No matter what the issue is the CSR can only do a reset and check the cable. After that a service call is ordered.
    Other employees hae stolen things from me even if things were stolen in front a supervisor.
    One time another employee was preaching Mormonism in the cafeteria. I finally confronted him with what i believed in. That employee went to human resources and complained that he was offended that I was so anti-Mormon and he was also offended by my religion. I was called into human resources and they said "it was not appropriate and against company to preach your religious believes." I was also repremanded by my supervisor and my manager threatened to terminate me. The next time I saw this employee he literally crammed his Mormonism down my throat, consistantly badgering me with Mormonism and how wrong I was not worshoping Mormonism. What happened to him? Nothing.
    One more thing. I was a tier 2 technician (I was very good at it) I was demoted down to access card distribution. I did not fall from grace, my position was eliminated.

Advice to Management

If I was you i would leave Directv. They will find a way to get rid of you. Directv does not lay-off employees. Directv will come after you with bogus reasons to terminate your job. Especially after 3 years.

7. "Nee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly, good pay.

Cons

Far, is open 365 days a year

8. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DirecTv had great benefits from health, to 401k matching and free tv to offer. Unfortunately, these benefits didn't outweigh the cons.

Cons

They required 6 days a week of work for most of the year at about 10 hours a day. They had no problem sending you to work over an hour and a half from your home and still requiring that you be there at 8. You only get paid if the job goes in, and when you work in an area with a lot of trees, not many jobs do

Advice to Management

Communicate with the employees more and actually tell them when they will have to stay out late or if they will be sent to a job far away instead of avoiding them.

9. "install technician"

Former Employee - Install Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Install Technician in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you will get to know how the satellite works and what the longest distance you can run a rj45 before you start losing connection

Cons

its a difficult job , dangerous , time consuming , you wont have a life , low pay

Advice to Management

do something about the pay and more safety tips for technician to work

"POTENTIAL FOR EMPLOYER EXCELLENCE SQUANDERED BY ARROGANCE AND GREED"

Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Services Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1) The (meager) checks didn't bounce. (But you virtually always received the paper ones later than their designated pay date. This was one of several examples of Management knowing the right thing to do and intentionally choosing NOT to do it.)

2) To supplement below-fair market wages, (dwindling) benefits were provided.

3) The work was interesting and may even have been fulfilling if you could parry what seemed like the relentless effort of Management to make it tedious.

4) Everyone was REQUIRED to behave civilly in interactions with others. This was a major provision, since civility seemed to be contrary to the first nature of a significant number of people there.

Cons

1) Even with huge and steadily-growing profits, the greedy, megalomaniacal Management continually required more and more work from fewer people, while simultaneously whittling away at wages, benefits, and perquisites that those people had long had.

2) Favoritism, cronyism, and nepotism ramped up to the point where they became the only way to advance. Consequently, Management's people-managing skills were nil. To them, positions of authority were merely places from which to comfort their friends and afflict their 'enemies'.

3) As a rule, the functions in the company that people were chosen for had a direct correlation with the dominant uninformed stereotypes about the race, ethnicity, age, gender, etc. that those people are identified with. As a rule, within each functional group, women were subordinate to men. The height to which you rose in the company depended heavily on this. For most positions of power or privilege, the best person, as gleaned from Management's ultimate choices, was VIRTUALLY ALWAYS the most Nordic-looking of available males who spoke English without a foreign accent.

Effectively, this was DirecTV's answer to 'diversity and inclusion': a deceptively similar strategy best described as diversity and EXclusion, wherein they hired a diverse group of people for low-level positions, but promoted an increasingly more homogenous subset of that group as rank increased (and presumably so did power, privilege, and compensation) until the diversity was nowhere in evidence at the highest levels of the company.

From a look at the results, it was apparent that Management had a social agenda that rivaled or exceeded its business agenda. In an official declaration, it came as close to saying that it did as it probably thought it could without leaving itself legally exposed. And an evaluation of the output of many of those chosen supported the perception that Management cared more about WHO did a job than about HOW WELL the job got done. Among the 'chosen ones', the Peter Principle was alive and thriving at DirecTV.

These observations are worth noting because: A) they could be objectively observed; B) it's the kind of information about a company that is not easy to come by; C) they are things that anyone who is considering working there or patronizing it would probably want to know beforehand; and D) IT MATTERS for a lot of reasons.

4) A deceptive practice employed by the company was to hire people with extensive experience for positions working in capacities that were NOT mainly in their areas of expertise. This way, it could enlist people for much less than the true market value of their labor. After the people were hired, they almost certainly would be assigned, at some point, to do work that the bulk of their expertise was in -- with little or no increase in compensation, of course.

Although DirecTV's engagement in some of these practices did not make the company unique among American businesses, it does make the company no less wrong for doing them.

Advice to Management

Clearly, beneficence doesn't come easy for you. Otherwise, for as long as things have gone as well as they have for you, it would have manifested by now. But, if you are at all capable of it, then you're long overdue to show some of it to ALL of the people who actually earn most of the money you keep for yourselves.

ALSO: Come out from your provincial, culturally-sequestered pseudo-comfort zone and experience the rest of the world! I assure you: it really is a lot less scary out here than it must appear to be from your 19th Century perspective.

Showing 1,232 of 1,363 reviews