DIRECTV Reviews | Glassdoor

DIRECTV Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Quality of life - no work/life balance, management believes they own you (in 32 reviews)

• Long hours investment that pays off but challenges the life work balance (in 38 reviews)

1. "Directv"

Current Employee - Retail Services in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Retail Services in Denver, CO

I have been working at DIRECTV (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with a lot of Great great employees.

Cons

Manage is not always open to new ideals.

"Customer Retention Dept"

Current Employee - Customer Retention Agent in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Retention Agent in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

the pros-free Directv programming and Free NFL football. Awesome equipment

Cons

they do not provide a work from home for employees with disabilities .Pretty much you are confined to your desk it makes it extremely hard if you have degenerative spine disease.

Advice to Management

would be nice if employer would adhere to the doctors orders and recommendations since he is the specialist in his field. would be good to make it a friendly environment and have some kind of section at the office for people with disabilities . If you can function normal it seems that things like that are taken for granted

"At&t is bad for Ditectv"

Current Employee - CRG Representative in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - CRG Representative in Boise, ID

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to be a pleasure to work before the att merge. Great support and trainers, friendly family oriented environment, great incentives, fun. My review may change depending on how things change in the upcoming month(s).

Cons

Seems like everyone's being fired since att got involved. Lots of employees losing trust in the merge and in the company. There's always been a high turnover rate but this is crazy. Customers have absolutely nothing good to say about att ever.

Advice to Management

Keep your employees updated and informed on the att merge. Tell us whats really going on and quit lying to us. At&t is bad for Dtv.

"Tough if you've never worked in a call center before"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DIRECTV full-time

Pros

Company really tries to promote unity between employees by having get-togethers and activities, they are very open to diversity. Lots of coaching if you need help (provided your TL is a helpful person. Mine was not, always told you to ask someone else if you had a question).

Cons

The customers. I did meet a lot of friendly and interesting people, but mostly they're angry and you have to explain why they have to pay $50 for a tech to come out and fix something that isn't the customer's fault, when they're already paying a ridiculous sum of money each month just for programming. The learning curve here was WAY too steep. 7 weeks of training sounds like a lot, but honestly even after four months on the floor I still wasn't grasping a lot of important concepts and my TL wasn't explaining or helping. So much information to process at all times, it's easy to get confused or forget how to do certain things. Lots of misinformation given by other CSRs, so the customer gets mad when you tell them something different than what they were told before. They go from classroom training to putting you on the phone with actual customers way too quickly, especially for people who have never had a job like this before.

Advice to Management

On a 10 hour shift, you only get two 15-minute breaks and a 45-minute unpaid lunch. I do not want to spend 45 extra unpaid minutes at my workplace, when it does not take me that long to eat my lunch. Three 15 minute breaks would be much better, especially because people who drink a lot of water to stay hydrated can't always wait three hours between breaks to use the bathroom, and that gets you in trouble.

"Stressful Job For a Horrible Company"

Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Technical Support Agent in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working From Home for a decent hourly wage.

Cons

Stressful rules and regulations unbearable attendance policy constant changes making work life unreliable

Advice to Management

Coaching should happen twice a month not every week it is stressful to a person to meet every week and be blamed for customer relation issues hardly ever about the agent

"Why AT&T?!?"

Current Employee - CSR-ACE in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - CSR-ACE in Boise, ID

I have been working at DIRECTV full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, lots of promotion opportunity, good training. Good cafeteria. In house human resource. Used to have free directv, not I believe it's discounted. Discount on art mobile service as well.

Cons

There attendance policy is horrid. If your new and get ill (which will probably happen in a call center) you are punished. It's not even three strikes, it's really two. There schedules are not ideal for a single mother. They only accommodate religion or school. You have no control of what schedule you get. The call type is tough, very entitled demanding people. Att is slowly starting to infiltrate into the building, and not in a good way.

Advice to Management

Have accommodations for parents who can't afford child care, or open a day care on site.

7. "freelance contractor"

Current Freelancer - Staff Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Freelancer - Staff Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at DIRECTV (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting-edge television distribution. Some reflected glory working on special events. Some very smart people to work with/learn from. Good location for west-side residents. Engineering fundamentals are solid. Good benefits.

Cons

Pays below industry average. Very bureaucratic. Lots of CYA instead of innovation. Internet is killing satellite TV. They don't actually make anything.

Advice to Management

Fix that absolutely god-awful hiring portal thing called Taleo. It is loose stool water of the worst kind. A complete waste of time and energy. Your staff recruiters are worse than useless.

"Not for everybody"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative ACE in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative ACE in Huntington, WV

I worked at DIRECTV full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

competitive wages, monthly bonus, opportunities to win free merchandise, free directv premium package, lots of schedules to choose from

Cons

dealing with ignorant people every single day (you will deal with at least 1 terribly horrific call every single shift), multiple ways for the company to decide you dont deserve your bonus for the month, bid on shifts based on seniority so you could get stuck with the midnight shift

Advice to Management

I don't think management is the problem. The nature of this job sucks. If you like dealing with inconsiderate, rude people then go get a job at a directv call center. You won't be let down.

9. "Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in El Segundo, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Game rooms on most floors
    - Flexible work time

Cons

- Manager doesn't care about your well-being
    - Mangers don't make an effort to teach you the skills you need to learn
    - Bad location (El Segundo)
    - Company culture very dead and unproductive. Extremely corporate.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in helping employees grow.

"Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in El Segundo, CA

I worked at DIRECTV (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful job benefits. Friendly working environment.

Cons

Not enough work. I was told to bring books to read while it was slow in the legal department.

Advice to Management

Provide more work for employees

Showing 164 of 1,363 reviews