DISH General Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
DISH President and CEO W. Erik Carlson
W. Erik Carlson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 163 reviews)

• Great organization, excellent work-life balance (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance can be a challenge (in 123 reviews)

• No incentives from upper management (in 195 reviews)

1. "Good place to grow"

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to grow and advance in your career
    - Smart people to work with

Cons

- Benefit is sub par to other companies

2. "manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable job, good opportunities. dish has changed the last couple of years due to joe clayton

Cons

pay, senior management is blind to what is really going on and who is actually working hard

"Ol' boys club"

Former Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Man or woman, they'll give you the responsibility. They'll let you run your business and will give you real decision making power.

Cons

If you're a woman, you won't get the title or pay. If you're a man, you will. As simple as that!

Advice to Management

There is so much turn over because management still won't recognize employees for a job well done. Dish would rather someone quit over a title or pay and hire someone to fill the position making $20K more than the previous person. Business 101; it's cheaper to keep the employee than to hire someone to replace them, but dish still hasn't caught onto this. I've seen so many people quit because dish refuses to pay them a competitive salary. Take care of your employees!!

"Here comes the layoffs"

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Upper management is enthusiastic when it comes to coaching staff meeting on what to write on glassdoor and lobbying for positive responses to the engagement survey currently taking place.

Cons

There is little action behind the stated vision. There is much to do surrounding the LEAD professional development program and the content is excellent. Unfortunately, there is little practice behind that which is preached.

Advice to Management

As you prepare to follow instruction from above to cut 10% of your team between now and the end if November, think about the impact your having on not only your employees but their families.

"Dish provides opportunity and rewards success"

Current Employee - General Manager in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for a company that puts real responsibility on my shoulders every day and isn't shy about rewarding me when my actions lead to success for the company and our customers. This fast paced environment has rekindled in me the spirit of competition and striving to be the best that was so prevalent in my youth. I'm a success story in terms of advancement - I've been with the company just under two years and have already been placed in a role with more responsibility (and more reward) than when I started. I couldn't be happier to be where I am with Dish.

Cons

I was initially concerned about the changes to the health benefits this year, but I'm actually finding that I'm paying almost nothing out of pocket for routine preventative care for my family.

Advice to Management

Stay the course - I've seen many positive changes in the couple of years that I've been here at Dish, and I've heard numerous stories of how things were 5 years ago. The atmosphere is positive, the employees' voices are heard, and we're getting better every day.

6. "Fast paced, high energy, and rewarding."

Current Employee - General Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an entrepreneurial environment in a Fortune 200 company with the resources to make things happen. There are tons of opportunities to make a difference and work on projects that are substantial and provide opportunities for personal exposure and growth. Ample opportunities for training. You're never bored at DISH.

Cons

Would like to see better benefits, particularly healthcare improvements and more paid time off.

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be to continue to drive changes that will attract and retain the best and brightest to DISH while leaving the policies that pertain to the lowest common denominator in the past.

"The most forward leaning company I've worked for."

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at Dish is without a doubt the personal interactions. I've got great colleagues that are committed to what they are doing and eager to help you succeed. Opportunites for advancement in a company this size are abundant. A key focus for all is personal and professional development. The work is hard but satisfying and the vision for the future is exciting.

Cons

The size of the company brings with it some obvious disadvantages as it relates to human resources. With a smaller company, time-off can be more generous and flexible. The size of Dish defaults to a more rigid time off structure.

Advice to Management

Continue to fight for the benefit of the technician and the customer.
    Lead the industry in technology and customer experience.
    Pursue excellence.

8. "The Sun comes up slowly....Not all at once!"

Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To date our company is seeking out new talent and developing the existing talent while doing so, raising the BAR on "People, Process and Technology". I have been with the company now 11 years and started as a FSS-1 and currently hold the position of General Manager. We definitely have room to improve, but what I get excited about is that we are aware of the needed improvement and everyone seems genuinely motivated about making the necessary changes to make our team better. I have personally seen positive changes in all of our managers from the FSM to the VP's. With that I have also received feedback from the front line employee’s noting the difference. For Those of you looking for a Career that is fast paced, filled with a spirit and need to improve at all levels, fun and a ladder to climb limited only by your will to move up DISH is the place.

Cons

We are in a video, communications industry that requires a team that can move on a dime and produce at very high levels and as in any company, high performance is key to success. Unfortunately we were never really good at how we communicated that need for high performance and most importantly how to get our teams to "want to" reach a high level of performance. Though greatly improved there are still traces of this "old School" mentality to act first vs listen, train and motivate. Thankfully in most cases these issues are approachable and able to take feedback and continue to show improvement. I am very hopeful and excited in the direction we are going.

Advice to Management

Stay the Course and continue to develop an environment that allows open, tactful, communication without retribution or judgment prior to education and coaching.

"There is a reason this is the worst place to work..."

Current Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - General Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some really good people on my team as well as some outstanding peers at my level. Not everyone is the root of evil.

I've seen my boss 3 times this year, and spoken to him 3 times in the last month (not sure if thats good or bad)

Cons

I was recently told by a manager above me "it doesn't matter if we actually make change and become a better company to work for...it only matters if the techs rate us higher on the survey". That really sums up what happens here.

-Regular belittling by leaders to their direct reports in front of their team
    -Hostile work environments with jobs being threatened for not firing someone fast enough
    -Jobs being eliminated as company realizes that there is a massive overlap of responsibilities
    -Talent Upgrade - Meaning, our Director gave us a list of names to fire by end of week
    -Pay below market rates, benefits very poor for a Fortune 200 company
    -Everyone below Regional Manager will work at least 65 hours a week. ROM and Dir work around 40.

Advice to Management

The problem lies between the Regional Managers and Directors. The great things Joe Clayton is trying to do are being thwarted by middle level directors that don't want to change the company for the better. Managers in role for longer than Clayton has been around don't see customer/employee service the way he does. Remove those people and replace with those willing to make this a better place to work.

"As Dish senior leadership will tell you... "Dish is not for everyone"."

Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount TV services and the annual gain share pay out. There are some good people there, too. The Hopper is a really cool piece of technology.

Cons

Where to begin... Dish undervalues employees unlike any organization I've ever worked for. The pay and benefits are not at all competitive. They make you share hotel rooms with complete strangers when you travel. I was hired into an absolute mess of an operation and even being short sometimes 4-5 key positions... I made improvements to the operation but because the numbers didn't reflect my efforts... my annual appraisal was below expectations. In almost 20 years as a manager working for fortune 500 companies, I have never had a bad review... Thanks for that Dish.

I work for a competitor now doing basically the same thing for about 40% more pay and with much better benefits and a culture where the employees know they are appreciated and it shows in their work.

Advice to Management

Dish is too arrogant to take advice so I won't bother.