DISH Installer Reviews | Glassdoor

Installer

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charlie Ergen

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 144 reviews)

• The company's culture is focused on work-life balance, which is great (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 105 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 175 reviews)

"Installer Poisition Is Not For Everyone"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Competitive pay. Decent training. Mostly helpful management. Good job for people who are good with their hands as well as know how to handle angry customers and also can sell product. 3 day weekends.

Cons

Long work days. (Sometimes +12 hours a day) Not the best working conditions. Management wants you to be fast AND do a good job. Most of the time that cannot happen so you are sacrificing one or the other. The system that is used to keep track of your work efficiency (which is how you get paid bonus and also how you are able to get promotions) is flawed and there is nothing you can do if you get unlucky jobs that can't be completed or take a long time to complete. Also, constant pressure from management to sell products to the customer while your in their home.

Picture this - you come back in to the office after a difficult 12 hour day of climbing ladders and installing dishes 40 feet up in the cold and snow. You completed all of the jobs and are feeling good about doing a good job on the installations only to get told by your manager that "you need to be selling more products and if you don't you will not get a promotion." Instead of "Hey, how did it go today? I know it was probably a rough one out there but good job for completing all of your assignments." I understand they are under pressure from their managers to motivate us to sell but it can be very frustrating.

Advice to Management

I would've stuck around if I just had to focus on either doing a good job installing OR do a good job selling product to customers. But when I'm expected to do both at an efficient level it became frustrating.

2. "Installation technician"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK

I worked at DISH (More than a year)

Pros

Productivity wage increases; optional and mandatory overtime; incentives for hard work; free dish service; nearly unlimited promotion capability if willing to move.

Cons

Long days with lots of driving; expected to work in inclement weather; must work on holidays including Christmas.

"installer"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Lanham, MD

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

pay was ok benefits ok

Cons

terrible schedule mangement could be better

Advice to Management

do right by your people

"dish installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Installer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

was a good company for awhile , but has turned bad the last few years

Cons

work/home was hard due to the scheduling,management did not do their jobs very well ...I got hurt at work and was kicked to the curb by dish! in the Colorado springs office they had a tech who smoked pot ,management didn't care and just laughed about it.and safety was not cared about at that office

Advice to Management

try helping your techs out more and get out of the office and do your jobs

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

3 days off, discount on tv service, co workers

Cons

sell sell sell,if your not doing this except to get written up.. Terrible attendance policy. If your once 1hour late your fired.. If you call it sick that's 1 point towards 7 you are allowed in year.. To avoid that point you must call in 24 hrs before you work.. They do not hire with in the company to promote!

Advice to Management

don't force to sell

"internet and video dish system installer and trouble shooter"

Former Employee - Internet and Video Dish Systems Installer and Trouble Shooter in Pittston, PA

I worked at DISH (More than 5 years)

Pros

meeting new people and travel

Cons

long hours and forced sales, long travel time to next customer.

Advice to Management

do not force sales on your work force.

"Technician/Installer"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and the other technicians you work with are great. Pretty good promotion system so if you're good at what you do they will reward you for it.

Cons

Management out of touch, 80% turnover rate, will fire you for ANY reason. Nobody is on your side.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, Maybe save money on training new people by not firing so many of them once they're hired.

"Glad I'm gone"

Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Angleton, TX
    Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Angleton, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, decent bonuses, Paid time off including, paid holidays, discounted tv service, and thats really all the pros i can think of

Cons

Long hours, scheduling was crazy (one month you would work Wed-Sat and the next Fri-Mon), sometimes. Very sales oriented now (had to sell a minimum of $16 per customer) Metrics were almost impossible to hit and are designed to work against you (if you hit you metrics at the almost unobtainable, that's when you got a bonus) Micromanagement all the way up 4 levels in management. This past week Dish had one of the biggest mass firings in the company within the installation department. I was one of them. Me and 2 others in my office had been with the company for more than 8 years. We were considered expendable. This happened around the country at other office locations as well. Goes to show Dish doesn't really care for its techs.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you treat you technicians. They are the face of Dish, they go to customers houses. You wonder why Dish is rated among the worst companies to work for, employee morale is low because expectations are set to a standard that only 1% of technicians can obtain. Dish was once a company I took pride in working for but all that changed when it became a metric and sales oriented company.

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Nashville, TN

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Coworkers. Your fellow technicians become like a family to you. Even as management and corporate attempt to sabotage you at every turn your fellow techs always have your back.

Cons

Everything you can possibly think of. After eight and a half years of service I was terminated out of the blue. Literally with no warning what so ever. They called said the company was "restructuring" and eliminated my position as well as four other technicians and one manager at my office alone. Three of the technicians had been there longer than ten years. The company eliminated some of the highest paid technicians just to save money. The company is horrible to work for and anyone that stays past two years is an amazing feet. Your are held to metrics that are completely out of your control. At dish as a technician you are responsible to maintain seven metrics in order to keep your job. 1st is Points per hour. This is how quickly you can perform your job. Each job is a set number of points and you have to get it done within a set amount of time. This metric is really not that difficult unless they route you jobs over an hour away from each other since your time still counts against you even while you are driving. The second is trouble calls. Trouble calls are when a customer calls in with a problem with there system within 12 days of you last being there. The reasons can range from the customer getting there tv on the wrong channel to not remembering where they put there remote to the equipment just failing. However regardless of the reason it still hits your overall numbers. The third is connectivity. We are responsible for hooking each hopper system we install to the customers internet. If the customer doesn't have any internet service we are supposed to scan for open wifi networks to hook there receiver up to. If you cannot connect the customers receiver to the internet because they do not have it then that counts against your over all numbers and jeopardizes your job. The fourth is completion. We had got to complete any jobs that are on our route and if we cannot it counts against us. Sometimes customers are not home even after agreeing to the appt, they never ordered the service but only called in for a quote but customer service built an install for them, they do not have line of sight and the dish cannot be installed because the customer has too many trees or are in an apartment and the balcony is facing the wrong way, and sometimes home owners association will only allow you to install the dish in a certain area that you cannot get signal from. It Stull counts against you regardless. The fifth is stbh. This is us hooking are phone up at the end of a install and running an app that does diagnostic on a hopper system. This one is not too difficult unless you are given old equipment because it's all they have and the tests won't come back properly regardless of how hard you try. The sixth is csat. This is the customer satisfaction survey. May not seem that difficult however you have got to maintain atleast an 8.7 out of 9 to stay in good standing. The reason the metric is so difficult is because one of the things customers rate you on is how "punctual" you were. Sometimes you get a job put on you at the need of the day to complete that another tech was supposed to arrive at by two o'clock. You call the customer and arrive and try to explain you just got the job but they don't care because they have been waiting around all day. They give you a one for status customer when you just got the job and that immedialty puts you below an 8.7. The seven metric and the worst in my opinion is sales. You are responsible to sale customer items that dish offers such as surge protectors, screen cleaners, over priced sound bars ($349), tv mounts, etc. it is not a do your best metric. It is a get it done regardless of how you do it, but make it happen. We are forced to try to cram these items down people's throats. This metric is talked about every single morning at dish. The expectation for this metric is $16.50 a work order. Meaning if you do 50 jobs in a month you better have sold over $800 to people through the month or you could be fired. If you times that by 12 for the number of months in a year then you are actually responsible to sell enough items to cover a 4th of your own pay. If the person that just paid $100 to get the tv installed in the first place doesn't want to buy your products or "solutions" as dish calls then then you can be written up and terminated. I devoted over 8 years to this company and gave them literally blood, sweat, and tears. I was a loyal employee that always strived to do my best and roll with any punchs during the many different changes at the company but in the end I realized it was all for nothing. There is absolutely ZERO career adavancement opportunities. In the years I was there 3 management positions opened up. Myself and several others applied but they were always filled with applicants off the street.

Advice to Management

So many managers at Dish will agree with the employees that the metrics are hard and almost impossible to reach. However not one of them will stand up and do anything about it. The management is filled with yes guys that are just as scared of losing there job as anyone else. I hope Charlie Ergen the owner of dish stops worrying about being the 28th richest man in the United States and starts caring about the actual techs and our daily struggles and realize we have family's to feed as well.

"Worse work ever"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Waukegan, IL

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Jajajajaj no more employ for this crap company nothing they said its true,more worse ever im work for,management people more worse have right know, laziness on office be thinking on how screw field tech, its great on equipment but expensive to what provide for service,pour on training the tech,pour how try youre te h on field,pour on quality,8 years working for you guys and screw with lies and mediocrity on youre expectations,pour to said for your management

Cons

Happy for leave worse company ever, lost my time work for you guys,no matter how good you are you are not good enough