DISH Installer Reviews | Glassdoor

Installer

2.9
Charlie Ergen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 154 reviews)

• Great organization, excellent work-life balance (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 114 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 194 reviews)

1. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Satellite TV Installer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Satellite TV Installer in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Management. Opportunity to grow. Work is enjoyable and haven't had any problems in my last 4 years of employment.

Cons

I have no Cons, working with DISH has been great.

Advice to Management

All Management has been great.

2. "Installation Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Installation Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Installation Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was at market level

Cons

Nothing matters except sales, they push out veteran employees to make room for lower paid employees no matter how long you've been there. You will get fired for not trying to sell water to a fish, even though you've been hired to do installation.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

"It is what it is."

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, especially if your get the bonuses. Can be fun at times. For some people, especially if you live in the country, this job can be perfect you. Sometimes I did work outside the city and that was much better; easier to get points up, not as hot, people are nicer.

Cons

They use a computerized point system to track and score certain aspects of your work. Your score determines everything from your bi-weekly salary bonus to promotions/ pay raises and whether or not you keep your job. Unfortunately, the "Pi metric system" measures things that are mostly out of your control, and when you frustratingly put fourth huge amounts of effort to raise your score, it rarely makes a difference as your score is much more dependent on your location and luck. For example, if you are in a city with a lot of apartments, you can expect to get at least a half a dozen canceled jobs a week. It only takes a few to virtually disqualify you from any bonus, promotion, or raise that month. I was told by senior coworkers that no one had received a raise or promotion since the current metric system had been implemented several years earlier. Essentially zero chance for advancement in the office I was at. Many people quit or were fired in the time I was there, including the operations manager who hired me.

"Installation Technician"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Yakima, WA
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Yakima, WA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay, okay work/life balance, plenty of opportunity for overtime in the summer months, fairly consistent hours, paid training.

Cons

If you are not a salesman do not work for this company! You will have to offer additional products while on site and meet monthly sales quotas! If you do not meet these quotas for a certain amount of time you will be terminated.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing SHS so hard. You will continue to lose customers and good techs out in the field.

5. "Great job wish corparate did not set such inpractical goals"

Current Employee - Installation Technician in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Installation Technician in Nashville, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is rewarding and people are great to work with, great pay and hours.

Cons

To much micro managing in corporate level. Setting higher than achievable goals for technicians to hit.

Advice to Management

employees are only human and there are exceptions to all rules

6. "Field training wasn't helpful"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Warren, MI

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free paid flight and hotel also paid lunch and dinner for the first 2 weeks of trainings which was awesome

Cons

Coming from someone who doesn't know much about line cables using ladders and understanding how to install services the field training didn't help I had questions an never got the right answers an there was so much I didn't understand, also you never know when your going home you start at 7am an your shift can end at 4 or end at 1am thats awful work life balance, anyways this is not a job if your completely new to this type of work you would be wasting your time.

Advice to Management

Create better ways and be more inviting to newcomers

"Installer Poisition Is Not For Everyone"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Competitive pay. Decent training. Mostly helpful management. Good job for people who are good with their hands as well as know how to handle angry customers and also can sell product. 3 day weekends.

Cons

Long work days. (Sometimes +12 hours a day) Not the best working conditions. Management wants you to be fast AND do a good job. Most of the time that cannot happen so you are sacrificing one or the other. The system that is used to keep track of your work efficiency (which is how you get paid bonus and also how you are able to get promotions) is flawed and there is nothing you can do if you get unlucky jobs that can't be completed or take a long time to complete. Also, constant pressure from management to sell products to the customer while your in their home.

Picture this - you come back in to the office after a difficult 12 hour day of climbing ladders and installing dishes 40 feet up in the cold and snow. You completed all of the jobs and are feeling good about doing a good job on the installations only to get told by your manager that "you need to be selling more products and if you don't you will not get a promotion." Instead of "Hey, how did it go today? I know it was probably a rough one out there but good job for completing all of your assignments." I understand they are under pressure from their managers to motivate us to sell but it can be very frustrating.

Advice to Management

I would've stuck around if I just had to focus on either doing a good job installing OR do a good job selling product to customers. But when I'm expected to do both at an efficient level it became frustrating.

8. "Installation technician"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK

I worked at DISH (More than a year)

Pros

Productivity wage increases; optional and mandatory overtime; incentives for hard work; free dish service; nearly unlimited promotion capability if willing to move.

Cons

Long days with lots of driving; expected to work in inclement weather; must work on holidays including Christmas.

"installer"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Lanham, MD

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

pay was ok benefits ok

Cons

terrible schedule mangement could be better

Advice to Management

do right by your people

"dish installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Installer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

was a good company for awhile , but has turned bad the last few years

Cons

work/home was hard due to the scheduling,management did not do their jobs very well ...I got hurt at work and was kicked to the curb by dish! in the Colorado springs office they had a tech who smoked pot ,management didn't care and just laughed about it.and safety was not cared about at that office

Advice to Management

try helping your techs out more and get out of the office and do your jobs