DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 11, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charlie Ergen

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 144 reviews)

• Work life balance, Flexibility, Job responsibilities, Co-workers (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 109 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 180 reviews)

"Constant fear of losing ones job."

Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor (Coach) in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor (Coach) in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance rather quickly, pay is average and overtime is generally available. Some of the coaches are dedicated and make the work day fun! Teamwork is important to overall success so jump in and be a person your coach can count on.

Cons

Stress, stress and more stress. Most stress is artificial and needless. This is a male dominated culture in which men outnumber women 4 to 1 in leadership positions of substance. Men are paid more then women in leadership roles and receive higher scores and compensation during the PA period regardless of actual performance. Age discrimination is practiced in the hiring process. Supervisors are encouraged not to hire older applicants as younger managers believe that older employees struggle with technology and adhering to talk time. This also happens to older employees that have applied for promotions. I personally was involved in a conversation in which an older employee was up for promotion, I ended up defending the employee against unfair and potentially illegal practices. The employee was described as not having the energy or stamina required for the job. Additionally, the manager stated that the employee might not be able to relate to younger employees and revealed prior health issues and FMLA from two years prior. I felt this information was irrelevant to the current situation. In my opinion, this definitely had an impact and the decision was made not to promote.

Advice to Management

Dish could be a great place to work if you actually practice the principals of LEAD. Unfortunately, in my experience, DISH seems to gravitate towards an aggressive, heartless type of leadership. This type of management doesn't work long term and needs to be balanced with compassionate, level headed managers.

"Reactive constantly changing focus with little vision"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you have a good Manager, projects can be very rewarding and provide great experience for advancing ones career

Cons

Benefits are competitively the bottom of the barrel for Engineering. Large number of employees that would prefer to move on but feel stuck because they are in green card processing. Poor planning by upper management has resulted in mandatory cancellations of vacations and long nights and weekends for months at a time that could have been avoided. Upper management has little ability to understand intangibles.

Advice to Management

Take money off the table; compensate your highly skilled employees fairly so they can focus on doing great things.

3. "In the beginning but things change"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, paid training, fantastic training staff.

Cons

FAVORTISM, you have to bid for schedule and once get a schedule like it or not it's in stone unless you have befriended coaches.

Advice to Management

Be more focused on work-life balance and flexible schedules. Stop allowing favortism as a preamble to advicement.

"Ok for a while, but not a long term career employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to get some hands on experience working in a high tech industry. The pay is ok. It can be a stepping stone to another job.

Cons

For engineers the corporate culture is not competitive with other high tech companies. Senior management promotes a top down decision making structure, and does not value employees.

Advice to Management

Dish is not the only employer. If you want to attract and keep talented engineers, you should research the culture of successful tech companies and try to emulate. Put more focus on being a good company, less on squeezing every penny for Charlie.

6. "Executive Resolution"

Current Employee - ERT Representative in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - ERT Representative in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, detailed, customer service oriented.

Cons

Stress levels, distance, pay rate

Advice to Management

Consident policies

"Dish"

Former Employee - FSS IV in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - FSS IV in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Four day work schedule, all equipment provided to you and free programming.

Cons

Management treats employees with no respect. Forced to work mandatory overtime when the company overbooks appointments. only give you 24 hr notice to work on your days off. Only focused on making sales and not providing world class service as promised.

Advice to Management

Support your technicians since they are backbone of the company.

"Revolving Door?"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Fresno, CA

I worked at DISH (More than 3 years)

Pros

the equipment is actually pretty good

Cons

One week you have one manager and another the next

Advice to Management

Get with the times and realize customers have other options

9. "Satellite Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paycheck.. company vehicle materials and tools

Cons

Tough numbers game hard to move up, yearly raises are a joke, MUST sell products to customers to keep job

Advice to Management

increase pay when you increase job responsibilities

"Terribly inconsistent"

Former Employee - ADVANCED SALES RETENTION REPRESENTATIVE in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - ADVANCED SALES RETENTION REPRESENTATIVE in Thornton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay (was), many co-workers to assist with answers.

Cons

Pay was good right up until they decided to restructure pay and decrease base wages. Ended last position at somewhat decent pay (which is still far to low to sit there and be yelled at all day and not able to defend yourself without making management angry) and when pay was restructured, all reps were dropped in pay including tenured agents. Loyalty to the company is not reviewed! Only looked over. .Horribly inconsistent training from day 1. Don't expect the same answer twice from any supervisor without causing more questions than answers. Management is atrocious and has no idea how the customer service world works. Most managers do not even know how to the tools that they explicitly force us to use verbatim. No creativity allowed. When they tell you think outside the box to help the customer and you do, you are reprimanded for it. Lack of knowledge from most upper management starting with team leads and supervisors. Company made changes to "better" the workplace, ultimately treating everyone like children in high school in which you are yelled at and scolded instead of confronted like a professional adult. The day I quit brought an immense release of stress and anxiety. To Dish, agents are, and will always be, just a number. Would recommend if you don't mind getting yelled at by both customers and management for 8-12 hours per day, and losing your mental sanity little by little.

Advice to Management

Please run things by agents to see how they feel about the changes instead of making changes to everything and keeping agents in the dark until they are already to far in to ask any questions or have their own say in anything. Please learn the ways of the agents, so that you can actually help us instead of making lives hard by changing things without knowing the repercussions that it will have on agents, and not letting anyone know what is going on.

"Sloppy and Full of Excuses"

Former Employee - FSS LVL II in Turkey, TX
    Former Employee - FSS LVL II in Turkey, TX

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, that I miss. Working alone most of the time. Tools and equipment provided.
    Bonuses can be nice, when you hit them. Got lots of overtime in. Shared stock investment. Free service. Benefits are not bad either.

Cons

No respect, excuses for everything. Doesn't matter how long you work there, they'll toss you under the bus fast. Ever changing schedule, can't make plans for anything.
    Something is always your fault, management is never wrong. Don't like giving you time off. Some even demanded to know what you were doing. Even when it's my Earned paid time off. Always call you wanting you to work, they'll say that you can say no, and when you do they get mad.
    And if you hand in your two week notice, they'll fire you on the spot. Then tell everyone you up and left with no warning.
    I worked 3 1/2 years there, and went through 4 Feild Managers 3 Office Managers 2 General Managers and 4 co-workers. I was a remote tech, covered a very large area. When the new guys showed up and started doing good, they'd start putting pressure on me. Understandable. But then the new guys would quite. And I'd stay. Never ending pattern.
    I ended my 3 plus year job not career, with great marks. In the top 5 in sales for 1 year, held top sales tech a few times. Average of a 9.8 customer satisfaction rating. 5.7 points per and hour (not bad for having 2-3 hour drive everyday) and a 2% repair rating.
    My point is, doesn't matter how good you are. If you suck one day, or even one week. They toss out any Achievemint you've ever made. No seniority. And you are just a number on a sheet of paper.

Advice to Management

Pay and benefits do not replace a quality work environment. Here's a novel idea, treat people like people and not a number.
    Also, it doesn't matter what we do with our time off.
    Last note, eloquent speechs and promises do not make up for lack in character.

Showing 671 of 3,378 reviews