DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Charlie Ergen

3,369 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 145 reviews)

• Work life balance, Flexibility, Job responsibilities, Co-workers (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 109 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 184 reviews)

1. "Former Remote Tech"

Former Employee - Remote Technician in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Remote Technician in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, Great Support, Good salary compensation for local markets In North Dakota, Fleet vehicles were ideal for road and weather conditions.

Cons

Must be ready to hit the floor running, if you are not you will struggle until you are up to speed. Bonus goals are weighted heavily on 100% satisfaction from your customer, a four out of five isn't going to get you what you need.

Advice to Management

Better Work /Life balance would have been a plus. I understand getting technicians to this market during the Oil Boom was next to impossible.

2. "Upper management treated well"

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay, some what flexible hours

Cons

No respect for personal time, goals are often unrealistic, management is out of touch with the lower tier employees

Advice to Management

Take time to understand that what works on paper doesn't always apply to the real world

3. "Amazing place for people with creativity, grit, and drive"

Current Employee - Senior Leadership Development Specialist in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Leadership Development Specialist in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of DISH is that the company provides numerous opportunities for employees who are creative and eager to work hard to get ahead. This is partly because our culture rewards people who take ownership and risks to try new things, and partly because we do have high turnover in certain areas. If you're looking for a cushy corporate job with a nice expense account and great benefits, this isn't it (no doubt part of the turnover issue). If you're looking for a place where you can grow your career faster and try more interesting and innovative things than anywhere else, DISH could be a great fit for you.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company is still rooted in something of a command-and-control mentality when it comes to things like monitoring employee's time and not being able to work from home. For some people, this feels like a lack of trust and forward-thinking from senior leaders. I see their point, but also feel like the restraints are part of the cost we pay to be given exceptional trust in other areas, like how we develop our careers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of core hours, not because people don't want to work that time, but because it communicates a lack of trust and care for employees.

5. "In home service"

Former Employee - In-Home Service QA & Training
    Former Employee - In-Home Service QA & Training

Pros

No pros at this employer.

Cons

Old technology, poor training, poor management skills, no network means no competition which means your job is on the line, no union.

Advice to Management

You guys suck. No matter how many years you work at dish, you will always be a number. Your high turnover rate is a result of poor management and poor operations. Your benefits suck! Thank you for nothing losers!

6. "There is a reason there is a ton of bad reviews"

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist II in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist II in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - Lower level employees are fun
    - Weekends off
    - Good about when you need times off

Cons

- Management
    - Career Growth
    - CEO
    - Workload
    - Upper level management out of touch with employee base

I have quite the list but this will suffice for now

Advice to Management

Honestly, leadership is awful. Start caring about your employees instead of always trying to throw them under the bus. You are the reason for the high turnover rate.

"dish technician/salesman salesman salesman"

Pros

independent, company vehicle, gas, working outdoors, managers are helpful

Cons

Unrealistic metrics. 9 criteria determine salary but really if you don't meet the sales per work order quota which increase every year and don't average four or more jobs a day in any work condition expect to strictly remain at or near base pay for yrs probably

Advice to Management

If we are technicians/salesmen then implement sales as an integral part of the training.

8. "If you have a life, do not work here."

Current Employee - Dish Network Technician in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Dish Network Technician in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay, micromanaging is at a minimum, you meet people from different walks of life.

If your remote, you get to take your van home.

Cons

If you have a family, you will never see them during your work week. You cannot make plans during your work week at all either. The dispatch doesn't care about you at all. For all they care, you can stay out until 9-10 pm and they will just go home at 5:30 pm either way. (This is not an exaggeration)

9. "Senior developer"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO

Pros

New technologies..
    Fast paced..
    Agile environment..
    Always on top notch while trying to implement new technologies and new ideas by management

Cons

Keeps changing needs very quick adaptability.. one of pros in other way

Advice to Management

None

"Full Honesty"

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Denton, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the few pros about working for Dish is that you can get your TV service for cheap. Now you don't get it for free though, because you still have to pay to rent the receivers. I feel that is about it as far as pros actually

Cons

I guess it depends on where your work, but as for me I work in a warehouse at one of the offices that is spread around the country. Management never listens to you about any idea that you may have to improve productivity or efficiency. If you have and idea to change something and it doesn't fit their way then you are wrong and there is nothing you can do to change it. If anybody that is higher up comes to visit your office they will only have negative things to say no matter how well you have your office/warehouse look. There is no chance to move up in the company even though they have the career opportunities. It feels like if you are not in the cool kid click then you are not welcomed to any job advancement.

Advice to Management

Embrace your employees, make them feel welcomed to work for you and your company. I wish I could put 0 or negative stars because this company doesn't deserve to have the one star that I have to give it. There is a gap between management and employees and it is gaping. There needs to be a way to close the gap. Smart Phone Repair was one of the most stupid ideas that a satellite tv company could do. This is one of those stupid ideas that gets pushed through because someone is in the click in Denver, but good ideas from people at the lower levels get put down and essentially told that we are dumb for thinking about that idea.

11. "can be a good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Quality and Training in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Quality and Training in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay is fair, lower management is good for the most part, tools and equipment are top notch

Cons

unrealistic expectations, you will be micromanaged to death, middle to upper management are awful, company is in a death spiral

Advice to Management

set attainable goals, work on retaining good employees, when multiple people quit due to one person; get a hint.

Showing 3,369 of 3,423 reviews