DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017
3,369 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,369 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 145 reviews)

• Work life balance, Flexibility, Job responsibilities, Co-workers (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 109 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 184 reviews)

1. "Coach"

Former Employee - Coach in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Coach in Tulsa, OK

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Pay is above average.

Cons

Culture of fear in terms of HR and corporate structure.

2. "Trending in the right direction"

Current Employee - Csc Coach in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Csc Coach in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for dish for over five years has been quite the adventure, it's a great environment if you can truly adapt to anything thrown at you. I've worked in a few call centers but never one like this, Phoenix has a wonderful family oriented feel to it. As coaches, we have the ability to lead and develop our agents in the most innovative and creative ways possible. We are consistently looking for ways to improve, I believe the greatest thing about working here is we don't have to fear failure. We are encouraged each day to bring our own style to our teams and if we fail, we are still supported. We have a team of peers who are there to pick us up and help us refocus. We constantly bounce ideas off of each other and we praise each other's successes.

Cons

the medical benefits aren't best, the plans have quite high deductibles but this is to be expected at most large corporations.

Advice to Management

The last couple of years have been a culture transition, people went from only being about themselves to opening up and sharing best practices with each other to create a successful site. My advice would be to branch out more to all coaches not only the ones in your management group, and get to know the agents more.

"Culture is exactly what you've been told, but team/workplace climate can vary greatly"

Current Employee - Program Manager II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager II in Denver, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plentiful training opportunities for your current role, ability to move into functional areas that you don't have prior experience in, and a high energy, mission/vision focused environment.

If you need to gain experience in a business function that you have not worked in previously, DISH can be a good place to start building your resume.

If you report directly to someone with a "Theory Y" type of trust-based management style, you can probably find meaning and satisfaction in your work for as long as they remain your supervisor.

Cons

Below industry standard compensation and benefits, dilapidated or outmoded work environments and the miserly allocation of adequate tools.

This is a culture that highly scrutinizes odd measures of productivity such as "hours logged", badge-in/badge-out times and the setting of repeatedly unattained, "stretch" goals for which no one is truly accountable, rather than setting realistic goals and holding people accountable to meeting them.

An imbalance persists because there is such little focus on:

creating or adhering to processes that address repeat defects in quality
    developing employee competencies outside the narrowest confines of their current role
    and, improving existing talent management strategies

The last one in particular results in the loss of key individual contributors who could be developed into strong managers down the road.

Advice to Management

Find a way to become more than a 18-24 month, "check-the-box" stop for talented individuals at all levels of experience by improving the overall climate of the workplace. The underlying, "get on the cattle drive" culture can be a sound foundation, if some of the vestigial, low-trust and fear-driven management practices of the past can be abated. Changing this philosophy extends to compensatory practices as well.

There are many managers who want to do better by their employees (ones who'd probably get more productive output from teams in return), but most believe their hands to be tied and they end up creating a laissez faire environment at best.

5. "Senior developer"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO

Pros

New technologies..
    Fast paced..
    Agile environment..
    Always on top notch while trying to implement new technologies and new ideas by management

Cons

Keeps changing needs very quick adaptability.. one of pros in other way

Advice to Management

None

6. "If you have a life, do not work here."

Current Employee - Dish Network Technician in West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Dish Network Technician in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay, micromanaging is at a minimum, you meet people from different walks of life.

If your remote, you get to take your van home.

Cons

If you have a family, you will never see them during your work week. You cannot make plans during your work week at all either. The dispatch doesn't care about you at all. For all they care, you can stay out until 9-10 pm and they will just go home at 5:30 pm either way. (This is not an exaggeration)

7. "Easy money if you are personable and enjoy working outdoors"

Current Employee - MICHIGAN (MI) in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - MICHIGAN (MI) in Jackson, MI

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

4 day work week
    Commission for sales of electronics or services
    Lots of opportunity for overtime
    1 month paid training
    Opportunities to increase pay by 40% depending on performance

Cons

No consistent out time
    Only 8 days of paid time off per year for first 2 years
    Most schedules involve working some weekend days

Advice to Management

Relay company updates to employees better
    Bridge gap between install techs and customer service
    Get rid of metrics that technicians have little control over

"Not so bad, not so good"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Macon, GA

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being outside of an office/building, everyday is different, valuable skills are learned, helpful and friendly co-workers(depending on location)

Cons

Bad pay in comparison to competitors, bad benefits(insurance is awful), constantly raising goals and adding new ones without any pay increase, they are very trigger happy on firing employees

Advice to Management

Raise pay for techs. Good techs will be less likely to go to competitors and more experienced people will come knocking on the door.

"Sling/Dish CSR"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy job taking calls.

Cons

Too much undue pressure applied to employees, one day something is so important your job could hang in the balance and the next day it is no longer of consequence...

Advice to Management

Train/Coach/Manage individuals and lose the attitudes! The numbers do not make themselves. Its the hard work and dedication of great employees.

10. "Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH (Less than a year)

Pros

Dish TV is free after 30 days, health benefits cost alot even for individual coverage and dont kick in for 90 days. High turnover

Cons

Management communication is poor and inconsistent

Advice to Management

get your information right and make sure all of the leads have the same info

11. "can be a good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Quality and Training in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Quality and Training in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay is fair, lower management is good for the most part, tools and equipment are top notch

Cons

unrealistic expectations, you will be micromanaged to death, middle to upper management are awful, company is in a death spiral

Advice to Management

set attainable goals, work on retaining good employees, when multiple people quit due to one person; get a hint.

Showing 3,369 of 3,423 reviews