DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 28, 2017
3,334 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,334 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 144 reviews)

• Work life balance, Flexibility, Job responsibilities, Co-workers (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 109 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 180 reviews)

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pine Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pine Brook, NJ

Pros

Being able to leave at any time

Cons

Awful working environment. Stupid management. Bad software and setup. Worst job I ever had. Hazardous conditions. Bad upper management. No delivery on promises.

Advice to Management

Close business and open a collections agency.

"Dish Network is the worst job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Associate Coach in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Associate Coach in Tulsa, OK

Pros

the reason I accepted the job at Dish Network is because they offered me 35,000 to start. I was promised growth and ab bonus oppotunity of up to 40%.

Cons

The operations managers are very inept. The senior managment has no clue how to manage for long term goals. they have a rudimentary understanding of call forecasting. They do not even acknowledge or recognize any of the employees. The reportining is inconsistent and the goals are unclear.

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize the talents that employees bring in to the company. Learn to understand the business and collaborate with the employees instead of direct. Walk the floor and get to know your employees. That way when you have a goal, it becomes a goal for anyone instead of just a directive from management.

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in McKinney, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in McKinney, TX

Pros

out on your own installing dish is about the only real thing that is a pro about this job. also the 3 day weekend.

Cons

We are about to go on pay scale which the technician has no control over what so ever. they are cutting are pay in half and giving us a so called "opportunity" to make money. customer calls in dissatisfied, it affects your pay. customer cancels his/her appointment even before you receive your morning route, it affects your pay. Receivers not connected to a phone line or internet weather the customer has service at home, its also affects your pay. the customers also get a phone call fom an automated service allowing them to grade you. so if you been under a house running cable and show up dirty to your next customers home and they grade you on that, guess what it affects your pay. Dish network figured out a way to not lose money on cancellations and Trouble calls by hurting our pay instead of taking the hit.

i work for the mckinney, tx office and this place is ridiculous. two managers have quit recently because of all the nonsense that has been going on here. many techs are sure to follow.

Advice to Management

when you tell your techs something make sure it is correct and not an assumption where the tech will lose money in the end with this new pay scale. like what hurts us in pay for point. if you dont know the answer dont go around the question but find out for us what the correct answer is. seems like in my office upper management is ran by a bunch of baboons.

"Glad I found a real job"

Former Employee - Dr Dish in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Dr Dish in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Some really great and talented people work there until they can find another job, excluding management. Management does not realize the extent of the talent that they have.

Cons

They treat people like they are dirt. I've been working for over 40 years and have never been treated that bad anyplace. I finally quit when I realized that I had it better when in was Vietnam.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and your customers will be faithful to you. For those of you in management this means little to no churn. Put all your managers on the phones for a month and let them live by their own rules.

"What a croc!!!"

Former Employee - Tech in Auburn Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Tech in Auburn Hills, MI

Pros

Road trips pay was the only reason to hang onto the job. Micro management by management that really have no in the feild experience.

Cons

Finish your route for the day, get handed another route. Very typical to have 12 -16 hour days. If you refuse the added routes, you can be termed. Usually make you work in adverse weather conditions.
    Backstabbing part of the job. Trust no one!

Advice to Management

The techs are the wheels and face of the company, but crap rolls downhill, and the tech catches all. Total BS!!!

"Dish Network has robbed me blind for two years."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II/Retention in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II/Retention in Thornton, CO

Pros

My professional colleagues have been great to work with, and I also like the benefits package of free compensation for America's Top 120 without a contract.

Cons

Dish Network has a habit of demanding that your personal life revolve around the call center,and have radically changes in schedules at least once every other month. They will at times have mandatory overtime by working an additional 5 hours on your day off, but also will force employees to leave 1 to 2 hours into their shift. This week I have earned less than eight hours because they had mandatory LEPC (leave-early per call center), and I am considered a full-time employee. The company has a habit of changing business policy quite frequently resulting in a negative viewpoint from customers as well.

Advice to Management

Find a good business policy and keep it for longer than one month. Don't force employees to leave early before their shift ends and be more open and honest about decisions made that will affect our livelihoods.

"WHAT A JOKE!"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Nashville, TN

Pros

Traveling alot and meeting new people and challenges every day. Work days are never the same, so you never know what your going to do until you get to work that day! Its hard to get bored.

Cons

I seriously could write a book on how much this company fails to understand what a positive and understanding atmosphere could do in terms of employee performance. I don't know about anyone else, but I am a human being with feelings. I don't deal with threats, negativity, or financial punishments too well!

I for one do not tolerate threats of losing my job just about every other day I come to work. From time spent on completing a job to making sure we connecting a phone line to a customers reciever we are under the microscope. I don't believe fareness comes when I get a trouble call,which causes me to miss out on a bonus, when a reciever fails on them! That is not something that should reflect on the employee!

Now management are like drones and rarely speak to the employees like real people. Most of the time we are talked down to and none of it is positive reinforcement. Once a tech finishes training he/she becomes a target for dismissal. First off we are not robots and we are in the customer service industry! Not the army! We need to be there for the customer! I will not be that speedy guy doing an install ignoring the customer. Either way I feel nothing positive out of this company what so ever!

The biggest issue I have is that if you are not Mr.Speedy you consistently work a max of three days as punishment! What a great idea to make me care at all! Wait a min! another negative military treatment! Again I feel as if I should just ignore making sure my customer is taken care of for my own personal benefit. I guess it really doesnt matter that I am making a true effort for a one and done!

Overall I had a problem and a bad feeling about this company before I started! Sure enough I was right and I can't wait to get out!

Advice to Management

A little care and concern will go so far for your techs! POSITIVE ENVIROMENT!!! Go by it and things will get better for the company! Focus on one and done and customer rapport instead of points per hour! Back your tech and understand that no job is ever the same. Know that if you have slower techs out there they may actually being doing the right thing. Don't penalize them, they may be building a strong relationship with your customer! That is important!

9. "Highly Stressful Environment"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative III - Technical Support - Partner Accounts in McKeesport, PA

Pros

Customer Service Reps try hard to do their jobs and treat customers well.
    Pay scale good with lots of available overtime.

Cons

Dish Network changes their policies so quckly from week to week and with very little explanation to employees that many times no one knows what trued policy is and CSR's are fired on a moments notice for what has been changed from the night before. Training is a jokeDish uses a LMS that does not allow CSR to ask any questions for further understanding of policy or new info.Training questions are a lecture with power point and no discussions. Coaches and supervisors work their way up through the system with very little education in business management. There is a definite pecking order and favoritism. Dish is known for going into low income areas and getting tax breaks for setting up centers............BE VERY CAREFUL... DISH HAS EXTREMELY HIGH TUNOVER DUE TO POOR TRAINING OF REPS.

Advice to Management

Instead of putting someone with no business management background in charge of a call center where 900 peoples jobs are on the line, hire someone with a true business management skills, not the local guy who has worked his way up and is playing favoritism and ping pong, and ends up costing 900 hardworking people their jobs when the call center fails because of poor managemnt.

10. "Terrible communication for a communications company."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Newark, NJ

Pros

Great training department. Fair Compensation.

Cons

Terrible working environment. Terrible benefits. Unfit working atmosphere. No professionalism. Management makes advancement very difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with the customers and the employees. Management is so out of touch with their customer base and their employees.

"Look elsewhere!"

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Lanham, MD

Pros

Not very many to think of. Three day weekends are of some help of just trying to get enough rest to start another 70+ hour four day work week. The do offer paid training to technicians and provide necessary tools for them to do their job.

Cons

Location senior management is oblivious to concerns of their technicians and field level management. The place is just one big revolving door and most never even last past six months of employment. Senior management expects you to be in the field as well as do numerous time consuming daily paperwork that could be done by them to help out, but they refuse. Sometimes you will be working 18+ hour days and then they expect you to be back within 6-8 hours and work another 12+ hours. Audit system is micromanagement at it's finest and is extremely counter productive. The current audit process also wastes precious time when you could be having face to face time with your technicians. Morale is the worst I have seen it of any organization I have ever worked for. I have never seen so many "I don't care" attitudes in my career. Senior Management is totally reactive and never takes a proactive approach to anything, thus causing unneeded stress upon warehouse as well as technicians. Gossip is also a serious problem in this organization. For some, they seem to have not left the high school campus. Some will go around from office to office and find out whatever they can and spread it around like the Ebola virus. Trust is a major issue among this company to say the least.

Advice to Management

Build Morale and take better care of the technicians. Replace ineffective Senior Management instead of just replacing people that have left because of them. Let your locations conduct their own audits that's why you have a General Manager. You will become a much better company by presenting a properly laid out business plan instead of knee jerk reactions to everything.

Showing 3,334 of 3,386 reviews