DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017
3,256 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,256 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 144 reviews)

• The company's culture is focused on work-life balance, which is great (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 106 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 176 reviews)

1. "They pay more than they used to - (door to door sales)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Pros

No Commission caps. Lots of up-sell opportunity.

Cons

All commission. No benefits. If you work hard, you can EASILY afford to self insure (seriously you can make a ton of money if you just get out and work hard selling

"My time at Dish"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance/Loyalty in Federal Heights, Adams, CO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance/Loyalty in Federal Heights, Adams, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation was good, Work tools are provided, get to work inside so weather doesn't impact the job.

Cons

Development is very limited. Everything you do is tracked and monitored, even statistics that they don't tell you about. Expected to learn of changes without being informed of changes within the company. Goals set aren't very easy to achieve. High turn around because of stress and job demand

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing agents than making sure they are talking to customers. A well trained agent is better than having a lot of agents making mistakes

3. "Installation technician"

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Durant, OK

I worked at DISH (More than a year)

Pros

Productivity wage increases; optional and mandatory overtime; incentives for hard work; free dish service; nearly unlimited promotion capability if willing to move.

Cons

Long days with lots of driving; expected to work in inclement weather; must work on holidays including Christmas.

5. "Good place to work with many opportunities to advance but an extremely stressful job. Dish's policies aren't the best."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free full package tv with best equipment.

Cons

Very stressful and not so professional.

Advice to Management

Inform customers of policies ahead of time so the customer service and tech support don't have such stressful work days.

"Prospects are bright"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Base Camp is a new program to help employees learn about how DISH works. It is supported by our executive program, and is helping us learn how to make the employee and customer experience better. Incredibly innovative program.

Cons

I've been with the company for nearly 15 years, and seen incredible changes as it has evolved. At this point, I see few cons, and encourage management to keep looking at how to improve.

Advice to Management

As the workforce changes to millennials - we need to figure out how to stay true to our values, and embrace their needs. Our world is changing, and we can learn to change with it.

"Have respect for yourself and work elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free TV, paid on time. Easy to get hired because the bar is really low, and especially if you're attractive- coaches regularly joke that they yay or nay interviewees based on hotness because the attrition is so bad it doesn't matter anyway. Easy to get all the time off you want- managers roll over for any halfway legit excuse because HR is busy enough with sexual harassment issues and battling unemployment cases to spend time investigating how many times you have an aunt in the hospital or whatever.
    Really, just a lot of low class people with no real business understanding or work experience. It's like people's understanding of leadership and HR is through some reality show. It's pretty easy to buddy up to managers and get away with stuff. It's nice if you just need a paycheck and don't care or can't deal with having a professional job, which has sadly been my reality lately. It really feels like there are some people that were bright and just had something happen and they dropped out of life and ended up here, in which case it's great to keep you suspended just above rock bottom. It's fine for awhile but eventually you need to pick yourself up and rejoin as a functioning member of society. Training was okay, though I could do without hearing how much of a joke you think your boss is.

Cons

I was made to leave a positive review by the GM when I started. Now I'm quitting and it's getting replaced with a more accurate one. So, cons. I've had more pictures of nude coworkers texted to me than I know what to do with. Just really no professional boundaries or understanding of professionalism at all here. Creepy bald old guy (not a manager? not sure what he does?) that hits on 18 year olds. Stressful job, dealing with idiots on the phone and off. Pay is bad- they've made strides to make it better but really whether you're in rc or a coach or just a CSR there are much better paying jobs in the area, where you can actually do challenging work with people you can respect.
    You'll get fat working here, from the stress and sitting all day tethered to your computer from the headset.
    Pretty rampant sexism- female manager is regularly laughed at for being bossy or ditzy or whatever other gendered language you can think of, despite being at least a little smarter than her male cohorts. Leadership talks a lot about improving culture but it's been like this for years with no changes.

Advice to Management

Everyone knows how you call in to do favorable surveys for your teams, the ways you mess with metrics, and that if people buddy up to you they'll benefit from your transparent favoritism. Most coaches know they're smarter than you and like laughing about the one with the drunk domestic abuse charge, the one whose wife is cheating on him, or the one hooking up with a CSR. And no one is impressed by your online degree.

"Field service tech"

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Bonuses, vacation days, bosses don't hover over you while you work

Cons

Schedule, no weekends off, insurance deductible is way to high

Advice to Management

Get better insurance, allow techs that have been there a while to have weekends off

9. "Career Killer"

Current Employee - Engineer II in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Littleton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Reliable paycheck, pays more than unemployment, almost free satellite tv service, paid time off, health savings account, generally laid back work area

Cons

Biased management, culture, promotions not based on merit but on buddying up to manager, below-average pay, stagnant environment, time wasted using tools no other companies use severely limiting outside opportunities

Advice to Management

Monitor middle management, institute fairness policy, give a damn

"Anonymous"

Pros

Great advancement opportunities if your a hard worker

Cons

Upper management gets stuck in old practices

Advice to Management

Provide resources to make employees successful

11. "Not an level playing field...do not join!!"

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Domain is in the Media, Entertainment world - they want to provide content over the wireless spectrum that they recently acquired.

Cons

Bad work culture, discriminatory, poor benefits

Advice to Management

None

Showing 3,256 of 3,303 reviews