DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

DISH Reviews

Updated June 25, 2017

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 147 reviews)

• Great organization, excellent work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 110 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 185 reviews)

1. "Still deciding if this is worth it"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited earning potential. You can be your own boss.

Cons

You have to work crazy amounts of hours and a ton of energy to make that happen.

Advice to Management

Don't sell your people on the fact that they work for you. We're contractors, not your employee.

2. "Desk job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II/Certified Tech in Christiansburg, VA

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good and coworkers are incredibly easy to get along with.

Cons

Management is entirely different than in any other company I've ever worked for. Your tied down to a 2ft leash for 8 to 10 hrs a day.

Advice to Management

Don't let upper management push you around, as a coach your sole purpose is to back up your team members and defend them from upper management and QA. Bobby Vaught is the only coach that I had the pleasure of meeting that upheld those values and his teams stats flourished due to it.

"Lies"

Current Employee - Colorado in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Colorado in Thornton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Great pay, great people, make great friends, at one point the pay was very competitive, great TV service, free service.

Cons

They lie, demote you from a position you worked hard to get and won't tell you the new pay structure

Advice to Management

Be honest, we are grownups

4. "Not a bad job"

Current Employee - Tech II in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Tech II in Augusta, GA

Pros

You get something new everyday. Benefits are pretty decent; free service, matching 401k, profit sharing, etc.

Cons

Corporate management freaks out over customer churn to the point that it feels like the company is desperate for work. We've been doing Samsung safety recalls....despite naving valid work in many areas.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on SmartHome products and start focusing on what to do with the spectrum that we have. We are poised to knock the major cellular carriers down a peg or two. We can also use that spectrum for our own television services by launching our own cell service and market it that our cell customers could watch tv without draining their data.

"A good place to get a foot in the door."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to get your foot in the door and learn especially if you are considering a career path change like I was.

Some management is great.

Free TV, free food at corporate before 7 am and after 7 pm if you work off hours (I work in IT)

Cons

Grossly underpaid compared to rest of industry even if you have experience

Some aspects are very micro managed (Badge reports, Core hours etc etc.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and pay them better especially those who have been there awhile and know the culture. It is far cheaper for you to give a raise and keep a trained and competent employee who knows the culture than it is to deal with turnover on a regular basis.

"Dish is a great company to work for. They are very competitive as they need to be in the Tv industry."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Thornton, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Distance from home. The Thornton call center is within a good distance from home. The hours they have available are somewhat okay.

Cons

If you're not the best and meeting goal, there is no hesitation for them to let you go. Sometimes the job may seem to be very misleading and contradicting. You're told one thing one day and the complete opposite the next.

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance. Be more lenient with attendance. Sometimes emergencies do happen. You shouldn't be penalized if you have a doctors note.

7. "The People Make the Company"

Former Employee - Office ISP Tech in Petaluma, CA
    Former Employee - Office ISP Tech in Petaluma, CA

I worked at DISH part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers, Positive working environment and great communication within our branch. The pay was good and after a month or so the mastery of skill sets is very beneficial. The immediate staff you work with every day are what make this position worth it. There is this feeling of teamwork and everybody wants to do their part to make the office run smoothly.

Cons

The computers that we work on are running windows xp and are from 2005, they have caused a lot of trouble and the Oracle system that is designed for the organization is very clunky and takes a while to know how to do simple functions. There is inefficiencies when it comes to scanning in and out product that I believe could be fixed to make things run quicker. Also when my branch manager and boss were fired it took the organization over a year to replace them. Which sounds nice but I had to pick up some of their duties without being compensated. Also when they wrote my review at the end of that year it was done by a manager who did not know me and they said my performance was not on par with a raise. That was definitely a blow to me since I put pride into the work I was doing and extra hours I would spend at the office making sure all tasks were completed every day.

Advice to Management

Make improvements to your HR team for quicker turn around for employees and management that leave the company. Also managers should be reviewed over time, for instance our warehouse was supposed to have 3 ISP Technicians but upper management decided to leave us at 2 and use that extra employee at another Warehouse that was underperforming. It is understandable from their perspective but it also means we had to work harder just to maintain our level of quality which eventually burned us out over time.

8. "IHS Technician"

Current Employee - IHS Technician in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - IHS Technician in Denton, TX

I have been working at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is pretty good, pay incentives for doing well, other incentives for excelling at sales. Free DISH service. Decent benefits.

Cons

Strong emphasis on sales, occasionally difficult and/or unreasonable customers. Somewhat unreasonable expectations on certain aspects of the job, especially for newer technicians.

Advice to Management

Listen to your technicians and make sure to address their concerns. Stay on top of inventory orders, if your techs can't get the equipment they need, they can't effectively do their jobs!

"good place to work if you dont mind a slow start"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

benefits, pay can be good if you are actually forwarded the right amount of calls.

Cons

morning shift is almost impossible to get on.. they stick newbies on crappy shifts

Advice to Management

stop overselling the amount of money to be made

10. "Not so bad"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can get plenty of hours to work.
    People are nice to work with.
    Lots of training available.
    The jobs get better the longer you stay with the company.

Cons

When you first start - you really don't have a choice of shift to work.

Showing 606 of 3,459 reviews