DISH Reviews | Glassdoor

3,444 reviews

Full-timePart-time

3,444 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 148 reviews)

• Great organization, excellent work-life balance (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 111 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 188 reviews)

"An insult to my intelligence."

Former Employee - International Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - International Customer Service Representative in Flushing, NY

Pros

Free entry level satellite tv package while you work there.

Cons

Unqualified management/leadership who lack the skills, background and knowledge to effectively lead a group.

Advice to Management

Attend a real leadership skills building program and learn how to effectively do what your job description entails (as opposed to thinking the 90 minute web tutorial you took at dish now qualifies you to be an effective leader).

"Poor."

Current Employee - Installer in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Installer in Englewood, CO

Pros

Company has opportunities throughout the u.s and offer employees some good perks !

Cons

Uncertainty plays a big part in day to day operations, one never knows if he or she will work a full day or not. Secondly, pay is poor compared to other in the industry ! Dish network hires for full time positions, however, I have yet to see a 40 hour work week this fiscal year. Not to mention many broken promises made by management ! If you want a good paying job along with a decent schedule and room to grow I suggest looking else where ! I am so disgusted with dish networks business practices I will make it a point to let everyone know !

Advice to Management

Thank you for being a conduit for upper managements cost cutting initiatives. Next time you hire someone let them know the truth on what to expect for they position applied for !

"Quite frankly, horrible"

Former Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Englewood, CO

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were wonderful and carIng. Some people really looked out for each other. Job really presented many challenges and opportunity to take on huge tasks.

Cons

This company is documented as one of the worst corporate filters that exist at a Fortune rated company. The problem starts directly at the top with the owner of this company. He has been catagorized as a leader who cares nothing about his workers and it shows. A badge deleting system that clock you in and out. If you are late by one minute you will be written up. If tardiness is a consistent problem you may be fired and many employees have been. The 4 and 5 star reviews have to be HR ploys as the negatives defintly outweigh the positives by the majority of current and ex employees. Sad but true.

Advice to Management

It's all been said many times before of what needs to change by many departments, VPs, Directors, managers etc. Charlie will not change the way this company is run - period. Maybe the new CEO as of two months can change things for the better - good luck Joe.

"Horrible company to work for"

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist II in Chanhassen, MN

Pros

Keeping the work van at home. Working with a variety of customers from many different backgrounds. Support of other technicians.

Cons

Extreme micromanagement. Totally incompetent managers at all levels. Metrics tracked by managers to evaluate technician perfomance and reward bonus money are pure fantasy. The numbers have nothing to do with real performance. No leadership. No sense of being part of a team. Expected to work 12+ hour days with no breaks. Constant negativity from management.

Advice to Management

Take some management courses that teach how to effectively manage people and build effective teams. Stop with the idiotic number system.

"Very Poor and Very VERY disfunctional"

Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Dish Network Installer in Clarksville, TN

Pros

Lets see free sat wait no it screws up in the rain, free van and fuel oh and free cell phone for buisness you but its like a really short leash

Cons

Company has no leadership. They expect for you to work hours on end and then when you think your done nope phone calls to take more jobs. Definatley not worth if for 12.50 an hour. Don't do it you will regret it the whole time while you are trying to find another job

Advice to Management

Get your head out of your @$$ and look at the employees you have working for you. Mgmt does not run the company or make you money the guys in the trenches do. Hope you enjoy being one of the wealthiest men in the world cause your employees are not feeling the love.

"Enjoyed job given when the management let me do job."

Pros

Work independently without manager in same location (but they tend to micromanage). Ability to learn many facets of jobs in a short time. Advancement opportunities if work hard and are qualified.

Cons

Micromanagement, employees are not valued and make to feel appreciated. Lots of hours required to do job effectively.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Show you care about them and their family. stop micromanaging.

"This could be a good company, middle management is inhibiting this possibility"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

1. It's better than no job at all
    2. It pays the bills
    3. If management could run sales differently than customer service, it would make a world of difference.

Cons

1. They ask for suggestions on how to improve relations and the suggestions sit in a box somewhere
    2. Seriously, they treat their employees with no respect and have a universal motto that "you are lucky to have a job" , this has been repeated by management and trainers alike and if you don't like it, you can quit.
    3. You are paid by activations of new accounts, "ARPU" Average Revenue Per Unit, basically gross monthly bill of your new customer activation, and monetarily penalized for having a close ratio less than 29% of sales to total calls. Now the interesting part about the close ratio is that you get calls from new and existing customers. Obviously you can't close a customer that already has service so of course this counts against you. If the computer system goes down, you are required to sit there and take calls the whole time the computer is down, and of course you can't close them so these go against your close ratio also. There are numerous "levers" you need to hit to make your full paycheck, and believe me they can take 75% or more of your gross pay for not hitting these various "levers".

Advice to Management

Mr. Clayton, true sales people have learned to make money on commission only and need to be relaxed in order to work efficiently. There are way too many levers to hit and too many variables affecting the ability to get paid your full commission, therefore making work very stressful, somewhere there has to be a happy medium. I understand the need to keep employees honest, but I truly believe if we were paid our worth and individual employees were held accountable for their actions it might be a small start for a happy medium.

"Only work here if you have to."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, CO

Pros

always hiring lots of hours available.

Pays higher than minimum wage.

Wage posted on front of building so you know what you will make before you apply.

Cons

poor support
     little to no benefits except pay
    high turnover
    If you get sick or need time off they make it difficult
    Expects you to work over time with little to no notice

Advice to Management

you would keep more employees if you treated them with respect. Please remember we are people to. It is cheaper for you to keep well trained people than train new ones all the time.

"Don't work here unless you can put up with a lot of B.S."

Former Employee - Sales and Support in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales and Support in Englewood, CO

Pros

Fast paced, occasionally even fun, pretty good internship program, nearly free satellite television for your home, highly visible company.

Cons

Incredibly bureaucratic, which makes it hard to get things done and hard to even get hired. Little respect for employees, oppressive culture within corporate office. Poor benefits and pay - it is a running joke with employees about how underpaid everyone is. Mid to upper level management is jerks; they don't usually smile or say hi to you when you pass. Employees will work on projects for months until suddenly a higher up decides to trash the whole thing. Employee turnover is so bad you sometimes can't finish projects because half of the project team will have quit. Possibly the worst internal IT department I have ever worked with. Lastly, ridiculous corporate policies. I once scanned in (yes, you have to use a finger scan to get in so they can track your hours) one minute passed their required start time and was written up by HR, told I am dishonest and have no integrity, and was warned if it happened one more time I would be fired.

"Good job if you don't mind being a nameless drone"

Current Employee - Field Technician in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Field Technician in King of Prussia, PA

Pros

The job has decent pay, mostly consistant hours, you work for four days and have three days off every week.

Cons

Very very long work days, no recognition for work well done, the pay is low compared for the work you are actually doing, managment is very condecending and disrespectful to employees. They're main focus is "Zone in on safety" and they push safety issues. But when there is a safty issue that stops you from doing your job, they get very upset. I once was sent home because I would not go on a roof when there was thunder and lightning. Another day over the Summer we hit a heat wave. The safety executive for our region just happened to be in the office during our safety meeting. Our managers told us if it got too hot, just take a break. Sit in the van for 10 or 15 minutes and when you feel better, continue your work. The following week when the Safety person from corporate was not there, I was told I was working slow and I should pick up my pace so I can do more jobs for the day. It was over 100 degrees out, and I told him it was too hot so I slowed down to pace myself. I was then told to go home if it's too hot and they'll find someone else to do my job. When you have to carry (4) forty pound bricks up a 32 foot ladder on a 100+ degree day, you may tend to slow down a bit.

Advice to Management

Safety is not a word in the real world of Dish Network. If you cannot complete a job because of a safety issue, you are either looked down upon and treated poorly for the rest of the day, or you're just sent home. This stops people from being safe because nobody wants to be sent home. Then if you do get hurt or something happens, the office says "You shouldn't have done that, it is unsafe. It's a lose lose situation. I think the higher ups should see how the managers act when they aren't around. It's absolutely horrible.

Showing 3,444 of 3,500 reviews