DISH Staff Accountant Reviews | Glassdoor

Staff Accountant

3.6
Charlie Ergen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good (in 154 reviews)

• Great organization, excellent work-life balance (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can be a struggle especially if you care (in 114 reviews)

• Poor communication/lack of transparency from upper management (in 195 reviews)

"Staff Accountant II, Sales Tax"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant II in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant II in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to expand knowledge base is available to those interested, management team was easy to work for. would refer a friend.

Cons

High turnover among younger staff due to non consistent mentoring from managers of different groups under the Accountng umbrella. need improvement

"Na"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time

Pros

Good place to work, can move up with hard work and commitment. Not for everyone, results driven. Pay based on education and results.

Cons

Work hours not flexible. Hard to break into executive management. Management overworked at times due to limited resources and ability to make decisions

"Don't do it!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At least you are employed. One flexibility in hours, but have to be inside the building at 9 am and can't leave until 4.

Cons

Don't do it. I am an optimistic person and was warned, but thought how bad could it be....very bad. Management yells and uses foul language. Very stressful...

"Good company to work for"

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career advancement and support from superiors. Exciting company to work for.

Cons

Benefits are average at best

"You should believe the hype - and stay away. Declined job offer and moved onto better things."

Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Centennial, CO

Pros

Staff were professional and seemed like a great group to work with... until they made me an offer.

Cons

I had seen all the bad reviews of DISH and decided to interview anyway, as it seemed to be challenging work.

Before my interviews (3) and assessment, the recruiter sent me a list of "comprehensive" benefits, which were the worst I've ever seen. $2500/$5000 deductible on health plan with minimal FSA/HSA contributions, $2500 cap on retirement with only 50% match and a FIVE YEAR vesting schedule, benefits delayed for 2-3 months after start (hello Affordable Healthcare Act penalties). These benefits aren't worth $0.50 a paycheck, let alone $50 a paycheck.

I then found out there was no bonus/incentive plan offered, and I had a hunch what was coming next...

I discussed salary with the recruiter - she seemed content with my expectations and also added that "managers have tons of leverage with salary."

Shortcut to the end: they offer me a significant amount, 10% less than the MINIMUM I asked for BEFORE I was alerted to how horrible their benefits were. Compounded with no bonus and long, grueling hours in a corporate office on the other side of town, it was a no brainer. They seemed shocked, when I declined...

Have some respect for yourself and keep looking. If you don't care, the company definitely won't.

Advice to Management

Just shut down - no one likes your service anyway.

"The Beatings will Continue until Morale Improves"

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount TV, Most of the Coworkers are nice, 401k match (the only decent benefit), Never need to worry about your paycheck bouncing.

Cons

Oh geez...where to begin? They have you take at least 3-4 different IQ tests before even being granted an interview (which only happened after following up with HR multiple times over the span of two months). When I was finally given an interview, I wasn't told with whom I was interviewing with or what position I was interviewing for which made the process awkward. After being hired, that's when the real "fun" started.

The Badge Report is absolutely ridiculous; employees will get chewed out for being in the building less than 8.5 hours (they'll assume you took a half hour lunch). In addition to this, as many other people have mentioned on here, the report is still readily available to managers and it is checked on a weekly basis (don't believe otherwise). Also, you're only allowed to take your lunch break between 11:30-1:30 (not since high school has anyone dictated to me when I could take my lunch). The "must be in by 9 AM" rule is ridiculous, especially when the most notorious violators of this rule are managers & directors (the double standard is laughable). They couldn't care less if you working till 2 AM the night before, you must still be in by 9.

Experience/knowledge in the accounting department is very sparse. Many of the managers and directors are grandfathered into their position simply because they've stuck around so long and not necessarily based on merit. Out of 200 or so employees, I'm guessing maybe 10 have their CPA which is laughable for a company this size. Innovations and efficiencies are quickly dismissed with the simple rationale of "that's the way DISH does it." Only after a strenuous process of getting your manager on board and having them vouch for you are you able to get it implemented (which by the way, the manager will take full credit for it). Inexperienced managers are easily threatened by anyone who has more knowledge than them which makes them quick to berate you for any "mistake" they find on a project (i.e. they don't like the shade of blue you used on a spreadsheet).

The culture of this place is toxic. On a daily basis, you'll find people down in the cafeteria area having phone interviews with other places in the hopes of jumping ship. While walking through the department, if you look at people's computer screens, I can guarantee you'll find at least one person working on their resume.

Remember the nightmare that was Blockbuster? Nice to know that Charlie & Company were quick to take those tax incentives for "bringing all those jobs to Colorado" only to lay off most of those workers a few months later.

The performance appraisal process is a joke. Your manager will give you a review, their manager will review it, their director will review it and finally the person above them will review it to make sure "you're not rated to highly." After that process, if you're one of the lucky 2 out of 3 people who actually gets a raise, you'll be lucky if it's 2-3% (unless you're promoted, then you're frozen at your current rate for two years).

One of the most demoralizing parts of working at DISH is when you look at how much money this company spends on litigation for frivolous lawsuits and how that money could've been put to better use (i.e. better benefits/compensation for us employees).

Management and the presumed fake reviews on here keep mentioning, "If you don't like it, leave." No duh, that's why people keep leaving in droves.

Advice to Management

The best advice I can think of is a quote from The Newsroom; "The first step towards solving a problem is recognizing there is one."

If you can't solve the culture problem, move aside and let someone else have a crack at it.

"Get the experience and then get out!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant II in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the accounting department in Denver. I got the experience of working there for 3 years, but then decided to move on to a more senior position outside of the company.
    - Experience working with publicly traded, fortune 200 company
    - Upper management seems to be pretty smart
    - Nice office south of Denver
    - Skiing on the weekends

Cons

The pay wasn't competitive with big cities like NYC or SF. Also, the caliber of co-workers in the accounting department wasn't as high as I would expect. A lot of people studied at local universities like CU, CSU, or DU.
    Denver is so cold.

Advice to Management

If you pay your employees better you will get a high caliber of personal.

"good accounting position"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- competitive pay
    - reasonable hours
    - 401(k) match
    - work with business leaders you can respect. I get to meet with the CFO and other accounting directors on a weekly basis. I think it's great to get feedback and working experience with these leaders
    - meaningful work and practical experience. I worked in the tax department and then did accounting for SCM.
    - working at a publicly traded, Fortune 200 company looks great on the resume

Cons

- health insurance isn't great
    - management isn't very responsive to employee concerns

Advice to Management

Have more anonymous surveys of employees to determine how managers are performing and areas that need more executive oversight
    Spend more time with junior employees. Your small investment of time encourages the ranks!

"PAW - Paranoid, Apathetic, and Winning!"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount TV, 401(k) match, Great coworkers who can share your pain.

Cons

America’s Worst Employer in 2012 & 2013. Threepeat? If I were a betting man, I'd say yes. Despite what HR preaches, the badge report is still in full effect for the accounting department (don’t believe otherwise!) and managers constantly harass employees to work unnecessary OT hours to make their team appear “dedicated.” Accountability is non-existent; if mistakes or errors are made, managers are more focused on placing blame rather than taking proactive steps to ensure they don’t occur again in the future. Even though this is a Fortune 200 company, the benefits are an absolute joke (especially health; if you get hit by a bus, God help you).

In addition to all of these issues, one of the worst parts of working at DISH is the fact that management is well aware of everything listed above (and more) yet does nothing to remedy employee concerns. Instead, they implement "quick fixes" and are quick to praise themselves for the "improvements" made.

Advice to Management

Current Management (aka Charlie) - Retire.
    Current Employees - The grass is greener on the other side.
    Prospective Employees - DISH is an absolute last resort - get what experience you need then get out.

"by far the worst compilation of management I have ever seen."

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

only pro is meeting and interacting with customers.

Cons

office management from gm, im, fsm, only goal is to be first in all rated catagories. they will keep a tech out late just to get a completion. will roll you back to a job 4 times to see if someone is there. getting so bad they now feel the need to start writing techs up for not selling enough in home sales per month. lengthy work days 12 plus hours. management to eager to point out negatives before fully researching catagory.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Employees are people. Not numbers. If you want respect you have to earn it.