DISH "long hours" Reviews | Glassdoor

DISH Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Dec 7, 2019

2.9
DISH CEO W. Erik Carlson
W. Erik Carlson
Pros
  • "Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good(in 200 reviews)

• "(in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • "upper management believes that the company embraces 'CPAW', but that feels far from reality(in 227 reviews)

• "Long hours, turnover was way to high(in 188 reviews)

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Region Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amazing opportunity for growth! I have been with Dish 16 years and started as a technician installing residential television service. I have had great leaders and some less than great, but our mission and vision is what keeps me excited about tomorrow.

Cons

There are some long hours, but anything worth doing is worth doing right!

Advice to Management

Keep developing leaders and seeking to improve the employee experience.

DISH2018-12-14
  2. "If you like outdoors, and sales you will like it"

Former Employee - In-home Service Technician in Cleveland, OH

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-giving you tools and uniforms (summer and winter) -different scenarios (all different, but the same) -if you are good in sales (offering products) you will be good -if you like working on your own, without boss looking over your shoulder, then it is for you -they care about your safety -OT It also depends on your management, I had a good one, but some guys didn't.

Cons

- not very good insurance for such corporation - sales, if you are not good at them, you'll be kicked out - long hours

DISH2019-12-07
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Dish Network is greater in theory than in practice"

Former Employee - International Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for a call center lots of overtime available Obtainable bonuses and other incentives Work from home, full time with good benefits. Transparency in the company long term goals (love the updates)

Cons

Long hours, little flexibility. High stress, under-staffed, back to back calls. Repetitive, boring and dehumanizing work. Feedback and QA demoralizing processes play a definite role in high turnover rates. Bootlickers are rewarded

Advice to Management

First, thank you for being human and striving to do the best for your employees. The Work-at-Home Management team is made of rockstars. In spite of the mindset and culture being just right, the procedures are not. QA and feedback processes sadly focus on failures rather than winnings and it is demoralizing. Positive reinforcement has been shown over and over to work the best. Training practices are outdated and... focus on pseudoscientific "learning styles" and passive learning. A real continued training would have the employee listening to their own phone calls, rating their own performance and reflecting on how to improve actively rather than passively. Also, a better practice is rating each employee against their own metrics and striving for constant improvement in a timeline, not point time period (as in, in a time graph). When you compete against yourself, and not against a fixed external number, motivation becomes intrinsic. Moreover, while Dish promotes from within, mobility in the company is dependent upon having specific personality traits and doesn't take advantage of individual strengths. In this regard, peer and bottom-to-top, formal and anonymous evaluations, would greatly benefit Dish. I cannot stress enough how I wish I could have given the most negative possible review to one of my trainers and the most positive one to another but wasn't given this change - and every single person in that training class agrees with me. I saw amazing trainers being demoted and untalented flatterers being promoted. While back-to-back calls are a reality in most call centers, if you're really striving to be the best in customer services, you should first strive to be the best for your internal customers. It's just not possible, biologically, to keep this level of focus for this extended period without being burned out. The brain consumes 20% of our energy and mental activity IS physical activity. The huge amount of money Dish spends with recruitment would be way better applied in retaining the already employed people, by simply allowing them breathing time. I cannot fathom having being told to not stop for a few seconds to drink water in between calls and it was decisive in making me seek employment in another place. Dish cares about its employees and will work with your concerns and complaints to the extent of what's possible. But it is a huge company and as so, cemented in procedures, but still offers more positives than negatives and I wholeheartedly recommend Dish, especially if you’re an extrovert.

DISH2019-11-03

"Company has great views and missions but poor execution from the leaders"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, steady schedule, thorough training program with bonus incentives.

Cons

Leadership needs a training on how to connect with their teams and not treat everyone like a robot. Long hours on the phone, Aux/productivity guidelines are way to strict and need to be revised as team meetings or one on ones shouldn’t count against your productivity and ultimately your commission. Healthcare coverage is a joke. By far the worst coverage I’ve ever had at any company I’ve ever worked for. Also, when... new team members are told to complete a survey the team lead should not hover over their shoulder telling them to just click 5’s on every question just to hurry through the survey to not only give them a good survey score but also to get the agent back on the phone. You put the surveys out there for your agents to have a voice. So let them have a voice!

Advice to Management

The company overall is a great company, had great opportunities, great mission statement and values. The only thing I don’t see eye to eye with is your benefits and the team lead I was placed with. I would recommend doing annual training for your team leads for how they can stay connected to their team and also new team members as the sales floors are always a revolving door with agents. Also just felt my team lead... just didn’t care to listen to any of my concerns or issues and anything I said just fell to the waste side. Was very disappointing.

DISH2019-11-09

"Pride Adventure Winning - if it sounds too good to be true you know what they say..."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great group of people who really are there to Win and get Dish to a best in class operation. Great ideas daily and truly are doing things nobody else is doing in the industry.

Cons

You are a number, nothing else. I started working at Dish when I was 22 as a forklift driver. I was 100% bought in to PAW and was proud to tell everyone about it and where i worked and by the end on 9+ years of service I was a supervisor going to meetings with SVP and directors and having a direct impact on making Dish best in class. Sure there are long hours and high expectations, but if you were looking for easy... this ain't the place for you, sorry. Then the worst day on my life happened. I was walked in to a room with my director and an HR rep and told that after almost 10 years of service they had no use for me and that was it. I had never received a write up, been promoted 5 times and never had a bad review with 7 out of 9 deemed as "exceeds expectations". At the end of the day you are a number, nothing else...hopefully it's not on a Friday after 10 years of blood sweat and tears that you have to find this out! Ruthless is the only real word.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say. Your actions speak for themselves and when you have your next LEAD session or ah ha moment as they say in training at the end of the day I can look in the mirror and know I gave it 110% and helped grow people while doing whats best for what I hoped to be the last company I worked would work for. I did not compromise my morals in doing so and can keep my head held high - what do you see when... you look in the mirror?

DISH2019-08-04
  7. "Too much emphasis on attachment sales"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

the 4 day work week a plus

Cons

Long hours, weekends and holidays

Advice to Management

People are the most precious asset

DISH2019-08-20

"High turnover"

Former Employee - Technician Level4 in Columbia, MO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Remote technician means no commute. Helping people is satisfying. Free tv is nice. Good job if you’re hard working w high school diploma, clean driving record, no felonies.

Cons

Dish is transforming a tech job into a sales job. Performance expectations are very high. Long hours. This is a shrinking business.

Advice to Management

Management doesn’t take advise, be warned.

DISH2019-08-11

"Get Decent Money, but Sell your Soul"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician

I worked at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good camaraderie depending on the office Nice paychecks after overtime and advancement Incentives and bonuses

Cons

Long hours; managers will try to avoid giving you time to sleep even if you get off work really late. Benefits are no good. Performance measured by somewhat unreasonable metrics Sales are the top priority. The installation is just a pretense to bring in merchandise and push it on the customer despite their financial status or interest. Poor quality work can be overlooked as long as a tech sells a lot, and a... technician who truly cares about taking care of the customer will eventually find himself fired if he doesn't sell enough. Management spends the vast majority of their time talking to techs about sales rather than any other area of performance.

Advice to Management

Having a separate sales team would mean an improvement in quality of work.

DISH2019-06-16

"Decent pay but not worth it because..."

Current Employee - Dish Technician in Saint George, UT

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent Pay, That's about all.

Cons

Company doesn't care about it's technicians, No work/life balance, demands absolute loyalty but has no loyalty, long hours, force you to perform high pressure sales for no monetary compensation, Management are a bunch of drones, Just not worth the constant BS, they promise advancement but fail to deliver

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and the negative way your demands and unreasonable practices negatively impact their lives.

DISH2019-07-25
  11. "Best company to work for!"

Current Employee - Site Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Caring about people and implementing feedback to help moral. Dish has developed a Win-Win committee group that’s made up of all levels from associate account executives to General Managers that collaborate to help every aspect of the business and comes up with new ways to help with work life balance and more.

Cons

Long hours but I enjoy! I love what I do and I strive for perfection which could take me a little longer.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the employee experience from day one. I enjoy the leadership programs that dish has been focused on - Keep them going!

DISH2019-06-02