DISH "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

DISH Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 7 Dec 2019

2.9
DISH CEO W. Erik Carlson
W. Erik Carlson
Pros
  • "Great work days/hours, pay is good, advancement is good(in 200 reviews)

• "(in 168 reviews)

Cons
  • "upper management believes that the company embraces 'CPAW', but that feels far from reality(in 227 reviews)

• "Long hours, turnover was way to high(in 188 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great summer job"

Former Intern - MBA Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH for less than a year

Pros

- good exposure to upper management - social activities coordinated by HR UR team were fun - living accommodations subsidized - if you're on a good team, then lots of learning opportunities

Cons

- base camp is out of date - summer was fun, but I got a sense that working full-time would be different. The core hour badging in is a turn off - upper management believes that the company embraces 'CPAW', but that feels far from reality. How can you be encouraging curiosity and adventure if you are micromanaging employees through a badge system?

Advice to Management

get rid of badging in system. you will struggle to attract and retain talent in the wireless space with this in place.

DISH2019-12-07

"Opportunity if you fit the look and are a "Yes man""

Former Employee - IT Manager II in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for moving up if you dedicate the time to it and fit a certain "look". Yearly concerts were fun. Great networking opportunities. If you have good direct manager, you can be somewhat successful. Most people are pretty friendly there. If you ask for training, you can normally get it, such as certifications. Accommodation for TV services was great.

Cons

Healthcare coverage is absolutely terrible. The price vs. benefit is not worth while. "Good ol' boys" club at Director and above level (At least in IT), and if you aren't part of it, or willing to subject yourself to it you will struggle to move up. Discrimination based on looks, was told I was no longer eligible for advancement due to my appearances, which it is what it is, but if someone would've told me... that before I started I wouldn't have worked there 6 years. My overall looks did not change in the time I was there. Annual "Trimming the fat" terminations is a disgusting practice, but mostly exists because there is no accountability for managers to actually manage their employees. It was not based on performance either, I was told I needed to cut someone from my team, and either I picked or they did. I let them pick as they were just trying to appease shareholders and lower our headcount. Core hours - You have to be there by 9 AM and can't leave before 4PM or you'll show up on a list. Used to be called badge report, they have changed the name but still monitor it as there is no trust with employees. If I had to work from home until 3 AM, I would still be expected by upper management to be in office by 9AM. You can see the mad rush of most employees leaving at "Core o'clock" at 4 PM. Annual PA scores are a joke, and should not be taken serious as I had times they told me to change all my employees scores just to fit a bell curve, and not actually based on performance. Was told that upper management didn't read any of my well thought comments on my employees scores, and that I just needed to lower to get an overall average number. Felt like there were many times that we would try to turn a ship on a dime to fit a change, without any input from the teams and Subject Matter Experts. Work from home policy, or therefore lack of, is pretty bad. If you have a manager that will fight for you, you're good, but if you have an issue at home and are capable of working from home you are expected to use time-off. Many two-faced directors and VP's there, they would do lip service to you in person, and then talk behind your back to other leaders. If you weren't on campus by 8:30, finding a parking spot was a challenge. Spots seem to be more narrow than the average parking lot, my car had more dings show up in the first year there, than it did in the 4 years before I started there. Lack of communication of changes from teams that directly impact other teams and users, with minimal accountability. I would often have to waste my time figuring out what changed, rather than someone coming forward with what they did. Charlie Ergen is used as a scapegoat for mundane things. Seems to be a lack of ownership for business decisions and everything is done because "Charlie wants it done this way".

Advice to Management

Base your decisions for promotions based on performance, not looks. Trust your employees to do their job and be responsible for themselves. Upper management - Trust your managers to manage their employees. Stop relying on CORE hours as a way to manage people out the DISH. Care about your employees and coach them, don't just term them. Take accountability and don't use Charlie as an excuse, such as "Oh we... are doing this because Charlie said...". No, I know for a fact that Charlie doesn't have input on XYZ. Stop using Charlie as a fear tactic. I did support for him, he is not some scary man behind the curtain. If the message is coming from Charlie, you need to own it. Know your business. Rely on your Subject Matter Experts for knowing how to get to the finish line in a successful manner.

DISH2019-10-24

"Worst company I have ever worked for, and I’ve had A LOT of jobs."

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros at DISH are the people you work with everyday. Whether it’s FSM’s, other warehouse folks, and technicians, they (for the most part) make it bearable working here. Also, you get a paycheck. That’s it.

Cons

Where to begin....upper management is seriously disconnected from the rest of employees in the company. They will send emails, yell in your face, belittle you in front of coworkers, DISH doesn’t even have the respect to talk to you in private, if you messed up, you’ll know as soon as you come into work, and so will everyone else there, cause they will chew you out in front of everyone. Upper management treats all... lower level employees like dirt. Some Technicians also consistently don’t do their part, so we have to do extra work to research their equipment they used even though it’s THEIR job. There is no accountability here. DISH is all about the numbers. It does not matter how loyal you have been, how hard and good of a worker you are, if you do not produce the numbers they want, they will find a way to get rid of you. That’s the CHARLIE ERGEN way, the culture at DISH is fear based, and it comes down all the way from the top. Human Resources is WORTHLESS. Your boss just cussed you out in a very unprofessional manner. HR does absolutely nothing. The benefits are HORRENDOUS. Health insurance is basically garbage, so most employees elect not to even have it. There is no sick or personal time. All we get is PTO and it’s used for ALL situations, sick, vacation, personal, etc. hours accrue very slowly. Constantly getting shorted on shipments, and it causes us to have to do extra work and catch up the following week. You never get fully caught up because they keep finding new ways to screw us. Don’t work here, you are only a number.

Advice to Management

Upper management is a lost cause. They are so unprofessional, I have absolutely nothing to say to them.

DISH2019-11-23

"Attrition 74%+ for all reasons you have heard or read about"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Meridian, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working here. The company touts itself on social media, DO NOT BE FOOLED!

Cons

Everyone is fired or "encouraged to leave" within a year or two. Underhanded tactics and shady upper management makes this a miserable place to work. Voted worst company to work for IN AMERICA, don't waste your professional talents here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Charlie. It all starts at the top, as long as he is in the picture your company will always remain horrible.

DISH2019-11-14

"Location makes the difference"

Former Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Harlingen, TX

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free stuff, several shift options, pay was decent.

Cons

Dish doesn't care. Literally. It is a huge company that will go under (ask those of us from Alvin), upper management is worthless, and the atmosphere in Harlingen was depressing and stressful. The Harlingen location doesn't even realize how bad they have it, they have no idea how amazing that location could be. The potential is there but you can't fix the atmosphere unless you take out the trash first.

Advice to Management

You turned a job into a career, act like it. I gave up nearly 3 years of my life to finally walk away having given up on this company. The constant, and lengthy, take downs with poor talking points. Nobody wants your excuses, they want it fixed. Other companies don't have to deal with half of what Dish does. Look into boosting morale, the turnover rate is so high because Dish doesn't care, if the company cares about... the employees, the employees will care for the company. Pretty simple.

DISH2019-10-02

"Upper Management Issues- unorganized work"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay for young MBAs, promotions for people that want to be aggressive.

Cons

It's Dish, everything you hear about them is true. Hectic work projects without much direction or support from upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employee survey feedback, and don't punish people for taking them.

DISH2019-10-04

"none"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

After the organizational change there are none

Cons

under paid upper management is disengaged age, race, gender discrimination

Advice to Management

work for your people not your self

DISH2019-09-17
  8. "Major letdown while there."

Former Intern - Human Resources in Englewood, CO

I worked at DISH for more than a year

Pros

Hard working people with a good sense of humor. There is opportunity depending on if your management decides to help develop you.

Cons

They have opportunities , but they promised that they’d be able to help me develop a career path. I didn’t receive a development plan until 1.5 years into my job, and at that point I was overworked and burnt out after watching a lot of turnover throughout the company. Unfortunately, I left the company with even less of an idea of what I was passionate about, which was very deflating since DISH’s one selling point is... how they will help you grow your career. I dealt with poor benefits, below average pay, and a toxic culture stemming from upper management who seem to be stuck in a corporate 90s mentality. By the end it felt like it was all for nothing, and this is the only job I’ve had where I actually felt relieved to be leaving.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and make sure your managers are capable of actually developing employees. Upper management (VP and above) is also creating a very toxic work culture. They grew up with DISH in the 90s, and they also don’t seem to know that companies have to compete to attract and retain talent. It’s impossible to attract new talent when there are other companies that treat their employees with respect... by paying them adequately and giving them decent benefits. It might be time for some leadership to hang up their cleats and allow people with fresh ideas to take over.

DISH2019-08-06

"Listen To Your Employees And Pay More!"

Current Employee - Field Resource Coordinator in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

4 day work week, free television, discounted stock purchase option.

Cons

Bad, expensive health insurance. Bad pay, the company requires a bachelors degree, but pay only starts at $18 an hour. Minimal pay yearly increases, management will nitpick on performance reviews to keep it this way and overtime has also been cut. Upper management is out of touch with lower level employees and acts without planning while hoping for the best outcome. Local management tries & does their best but... aren't given much to work with from management above them. Also no paid sick days, we have to use PTO to get paid for being out sick.

Advice to Management

Cut costs elsewhere, not on your employees dime. You are losing great employees, specifically in the field and the Roseland RRC, because they are overworked and underpaid.

DISH2019-07-13

"Stay away if you are an engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay but other than that nothing really.

Cons

If you are a product owner or PM this is the company for you. If you are an engineer stay away. So many managers, product owners and at times product owners act as architects making the life of an engineer horrible. Agile heavy middle management. Upper Management is clueless, except few most of them dont even deserve to be in those positions and are clueless about software development or IT. They are only interested... in cutting costs, getting things dont but pressuring developers. And company offers absolutely no benefits whasoever. And no one knows the direction the company is headed. so if you are a new Engineer planning to join, I would recommend to stay away. Its not worth it.

Advice to Management

Try to provide some benefits and flexibility to employees. But honestly I dont think its possible.

DISH2019-06-24