DLA Piper Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
DLA Piper Global Co-Chief Executive Officers Simon Levine and Cameron Jay Rains
Simon Levine and Cameron Jay Rains

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Relative work/life balance in this position" (in 8 reviews)

• "good pay, good location, great benefits" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance makes it impossible to use those great benefits" (in 20 reviews)

• "Long hours and unbalanced workload" (in 24 reviews)

1. "DLA Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work flow and awesome staff

Cons

noting really every thing seems to be good

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job

"Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Free Market System
    - Broad Experiences Available
    - High Level Work

Cons

- Minimal Staff Assistance
    - Bad Management
    - Poor Culture
    - Lack of Diversity/Biased Treatment (Both Gender and Race)
    - Few Perks

"The Best of Big Law"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The firm is led by incredibly intelligent attorneys, and ambitious associates will get lots of opportunities.

I worked long hours at DLA, but for the most part my efforts were appreciated. And, compared to my colleagues at other large law firms, I had far better work-life balance.

Cons

There is a lack of transparency regarding the path to partnership. This is further complicated by their overly long review process; you're reviewed in September, but don't see the reviews until mid-February, and don't formally meet with anyone to discuss your reviews until April (at the earliest).

Also, management allows partners who generate revenue to get away with mistreating employees. There is no accountability on the partner side of the partner-associate relationship.

"It Was Okay But Not Great"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Tampa, FL

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed
    Easy software to use
    1 hour breaks

Cons

Could become tedious
    Some people in the office are not understanding of new employer struggles and can be very rude.

Advice to Management

Don’t read/reveal the contents of employees private emails meant only for their supervisor to coworkers.

5. "Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time

Pros

Laid back atomsphere in the office

Cons

Lacks strong leadership and opportunities to grow

6. "Outstanding Pay and Benefits - You Will Work Hard"

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Seattle, WA

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really great benefits, PTO, and pay. Truly, they pay you well. In litigation, in particular, you will earn it for sure. I loved working with lawyers and staff who truly excelled at what they do. I also enjoyed working on cases with lawyers in other offices. Every office works a little differently, but the one I worked fostered a team approach. I was technically assigned several lawyers to work for, but the entire group worked as a team, which meant we could all step in at a moment's notice and work on each other's cases. There was no competition among the staff - we didn't have time for that and do our jobs well at the same time. The best peers I have ever worked with. I was treated extremely well by lawyers, peers, and management alike.

Cons

If you don't enjoy a large firm environment, it may be hard for you. I think the "hardest" part of my job here was working with areas of the company in different time zones (for example, being on the West Coast and needing something at 3:00 from someone on the East Coast), but they really did try their best to make that work as smoothly as possible.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I loved your approach to seeking alternative ways for the team to work.

Allow room for growth without making someone move into a different position - for example, if a secretary has the aptitude and desire to incorporate paralegal work into their workday, allow them to do so. Maybe not so many strict, black lines around job titles and responsibilities.

"After 17 years of loyalty ..."

Former Employee - IT Technician Services Supervisor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - IT Technician Services Supervisor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be that you could trust most folks in IT

Cons

The environment has changed in such a way that you as a person are no longer care about. Certain people in IT management within the Baltimore office are not who they claim to be. Very unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Certain people in IT management within the Baltimore office as well as other locations are not who they claim to be. Very unprofessional.
    This needs to change. DLA Piper should be reminded that each one of us is a human being FIRST!!

"Can be a toxic environment. Office is in stone age in regard to technology and methods."

Former Employee - IP Administrative Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - IP Administrative Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation was in line with the market, and benefits were standard for big-law. Relative work/life balance in this position. Some attorneys were great, and all practice assistants were fantastic people to work with and interact with on a daily basis.

Cons

Management creates an environment that involves absolutely zero autonomy. They operate very much like their own IP firm, in the stone age (i.e. - using post-it notes for reminders), with heavy micro-management. They can be quick to respond emotionally, with professionalism left at the door. Very much a big-brother atmosphere. These things affect everyone in the department.

Practice assistants are very under-valued, and are smarter than you think.

The role itself allows for very little ownership, and involves a lot of administrative work supporting attorneys, with little substantive IP work. There were also no substantive department-wide or firm-wide meetings for IP staff. This creates isolation and does not do well for career advancement prospects or comradery. There is zero excitement for what will come in the future.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your management and their effectiveness - they may be part of the reason for high turnover and sometimes toxic environment. End the micro-management. Adopt new, updated technology systems for file management. Go electronic, and toss the paper. Improve your IT, and train your staff on your systems so that they can be more efficient/effective. Create a firm-wide IP system with best-practices - it will pay for itself over the years. Having (extremely) localized ways of handling IP won't last.

Also, have meetings to train your staff, so that they have some sort of feeling that their careers are advancing, and a decent understanding of the meaning behind their day-to-day tasks. There should also be firm-wide IP meetings to discuss law changes, and create a sense of comradery and accountability across all offices.

"Adminstrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Decent pay to not drown. Remote work is an option that's provided.

Cons

Work life balance makes it impossible to use those great benefits. FMLA is severely frowned upon. Over uses it's 'brand' to mislead new hires into believing there is hope for upward movement. You are overworked, underpaid, passed up for promotions and only as good as your last favor. Good luck asking for a raise. Good luck with the very tight-knit politics. It really is about who you know and not what you know.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees. Don't just defend your buddies. HR needs to do drug testing. HR needs to do random alcohol testing as well.

"Associate for 2 years; burned out"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work on very major deals. And the money is good.

Cons

You are always on call. Day, night, or weekend, vacation or not. As a new associate the work that you do is essentially secretarial. And if your hours are low you will be whisked out the door. There is minimal security, and minimal leisure time to enjoy the money.

Advice to Management

I feel like a lot of the programs--Diversity and Inclusion, the Culture Committee, the mentorship programs, etc., are paying lip service to ideas that senior management doesn't really care about. If I'm wrong, I think management could do a lot better.