DLA Piper Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
DLA Piper Global Co-Chief Executive Officers Simon Levine and Cameron Jay Rains
Simon Levine and Cameron Jay Rains

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Really good expertise in pro bono (in 11 reviews)

• Flexibility and work life balance are outstanding (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is enigszins uit verhouding (in 19 reviews)

• Long hours and unbalanced workload (in 24 reviews)

"Great place to work"

I worked at DLA Piper full-time

Pros

Attorneys are very smart and hard working. Staff is outstanding. Partners have great collegiality and rapport. Firm very committed to pro bono and social responsibility.

Cons

No serious cons. This is a biglaw firm, and a biglaw experience. It's not for everybody, and it shouldn't be. DLA Austin does biglaw as well as anyone, from an employee perspective.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and delivering good value for your fees. Keep treating employees fairly and encouraging those with outsized ambitions.

2. "Not Great but Not that Different than Other Firms"

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An interesting mix of work

Cons

Compensation somewhat below market median

Feb 20, 2018 – Senior Manager Corporate HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. While we're proud to offer competitive compensation to our employees, we believe that this should never be the focus of employment with us. We're... More

3. "Abusive & discriminatory to women minorities. NOT one women partner. A diverse group Is not All white men over 65."

Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent benefits which one can never use, the benefits are ok, it if you work there you’ll need all the doctors you can get

Cons

Don’t you dare disagree. If marketing doesn’t like you because you’re trying to do what’s most cost effective for the client, and not the Firm- you’re let go. Why don’t you reduce your marketing department that’s all fake and making six figures. And, instead save YOUR client some money?

Advice to Management

You don’t care. You get millions of dollars a year. I’ve seen you at happy hours give high fives because you met your goal. What about your client? You have a retreat to aspen and to the masters. Clients pay for that. Why don’t you tone down your expenses and offer better service to the clients? Why? You don’t care. You’re making millions for what cost the client thousands. Who do you think you are? So, clients remember the rates you pay are for management to live in million dollar homes, partners to take more time to make the bill higher... is that client service?

"Real Estate Secretary"

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology and training; salary, medical, 401(k) and annual (year-end) bonus.

Cons

Pro attorney. I was paired with 7 attorneys and one paralegal. The group leadership was managed by an absolute manic. The interview was great and these people wore masks. They were: disrespectful; arrogant; pompous and no leadership ability. I would tell anyone interviewing with them to ask specific questions regarding why the previous person really left the position. I found out after the fact. Not only that, I was told there were two positions. When hired they placed the whole team on me, with a word processor. Terrible management.

Advice to Management

No advice for management, they don't care, as long as the money is coming in.

"Associate"

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, smart and dedicated colleagues, sophisticated legal work.

Cons

Big law lifestyle, billable hours requirement.

Nov 13, 2017 – Senior Manager Corporate HR

Thanks for leaving this review. We're really happy that you enjoyed working at DLA Piper. We think it's a great place to be and we hope you stay in touch through our alumni community.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training, continued education and open door policy

Cons

Needs to keep current with technology advances

Advice to Management

Management is working hard to keep updated

7. "Of Counsel"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Work. Good pay.

Cons

A lot of Travel. Long hours. High rates.

Advice to Management

More real-world opportunities for young lawyers.

8. "Client Account Specialist"

Former Employee - Client Account Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Account Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at DLA Piper full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I miss DLA Piper so much (worked there for 6yrs), I wish I did not get laid off after Department was outsourced to Miami, I want to come back!!!! No other firm like DLA Piper.

Cons

Are you kidding, NONE!!!! DLA your the best

Advice to Management

Bring a few of us back, Please!!!!!!

"Have an Exit Plan"

I worked at DLA Piper full-time

Pros

You earn so much you can quickly pay off your loans - if you live frugally. So most first years leave within four years. Those who stay longer, for the money or with partnership delusions, are generally burned out by the time they’re shown the door. The job is considered prestigious and gives you exit options, but you become basically unmarketable after you’ve been fired.

Your beliefs about the world are confirmed. That hard work and doing a good job are not rewarded. That your success is wholly dependent on relationships, including nepotism, favoritism, and cronyism. You learn to make your money and get out before the ax falls.

The Rockefeller Center location is very convenient for the commute.

Cons

You have no life, are chronically sleep deprived, gain a lot of weight, and are otherwise miserable due to the long unpredictable hours. You can work 70 hour weeks for months and then suddenly have nothing to do. Work appears and disappears unexpectedly, making scheduling any semblance of a life difficult. There will be times when there is no work and you’re struggling to cobble together your hours. Family and friends don’t understand the constant state of fear, or why you’re always cancelling last minute.

Grief over how much time you can bill. Actual time does not equal billable time. Just because a project takes 12 hours to complete doesn't mean you can bill even 8 hours. You’re constantly told to be more efficient when high rates and tight client budgets are the issue. Firm management is focused on high level engagements and moving upstream, but that doesn’t necessarily square with what existing clients need right now.

Limited support. Only partners and senior associates are assigned secretaries. There are few paralegals. Staff is constantly cut or turning over. Mail room, copying, records, word processing, and IT help desk were outsourced long ago. Billing and accounting were sent to a back office in Florida. One year, three of the four people in New York HR were pushed out in quick succession. Yet, HR remained horrible and worthless. There was even an attorney in another office who sued the firm because someone in benefits supposedly contacting the firm’s insurer to scuttle his long term disability benefits.

The ventilation system is turned off outside of regular business hours. So working in the office at night and during the weekend is sweltering during the summer and freezing during the winter. Floor lights automatically shut-off at night. Renovations occur on occupied floors, meaning you may have to cope with construction noise and dust. The office administrators move your office location occasionally for seemingly no reason, disrupting your workday.

The biggest problem is that your involvement is mostly limited to low level drudgery for the first few years. In that same time, law school classmates who are working as prosecutors, defense attorneys, city attorneys, plaintiffs personal injury lawyers, etc. actually learn the nuts and bolts of an area of law, negotiate contracts, go to court, interact with clients, etc. They develop marketable skills while you’re making binders, doing due diligence, or babysitting document reviewers.

If you make it to mid-level and senior associate, you start receiving better work and begin to fill out your skills set. Clients and lawyers at other firms start noticing you exist. You finally begin establishing your professional reputation. But since you’re always one small mistake away from begin fired, it’s unlikely you’ll be around that long. All corporate law firms operate on an attrition model.

So you need to have an exit plan, starting day one. Otherwise, you’ll end up like those doc reviewers that everyone at the firm mocks and abuses.

Advice to Management

Nothing. With the constant churn of attorneys and staff, the firm is probably going to end up just like Finley Kumble, Donovan Leisure, Brobeck, Thelen, etc. You don't seem to care about creating an organization that is built to last.

10. "Great"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at DLA Piper full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love it here, this place does everything great

Cons

Can't think of anything I don't like

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Oct 4, 2017 – Senior Manager Corporate HR

Thank you for your excellent review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We're pleased to hear you're enjoying your time at DLA Piper. It's employees like you that help shape our vision and culture.... More