DLR Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Griff Davenport

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I was only there on a temporary basis but in my short time I didnt see any cons (in 2 reviews)

• If one does not fit into the cultish mold, then senior management makes sure opportunities are limited to reflect employee's productivity (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company Culture and Future"

Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at DLR Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Employee-owned, with great overall values and distributed leadership structure. The firm is well recognized for its work across many different market sectors, with well known clients like Google, Amazon, Boeing, and several other major brands.

Cons

The firm doesn't seem to have any unusual cons, for a firm of its size. The structure is more personable than in most larger firms and does annual business planning in a very transparent manner.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the firm and don't let growth dilute the original values of the firm's founders related to ownership, entrepreneurship, teamwork, and design excellence.

"Potential great workplace dependent on which office you join"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DLR Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Integrated Design Firm with national and international offices that provide opportunities to get involved in many types of projects.
    Employee owned and option to own stock based on some requirements.

Cons

Hotchpot of bought out architecture firms. There is a central vision and goals but since many of the offices are managed by the very people who got bought out (many older who want to retire with a got stock price), the adaption of vision and forward thinking is lacking in some offices.
    Mentioned pros are dependent on which office (and office leadership) you join.

Advice to Management

When buying out firms, make sure new leadership is installed fairly quickly who are aligned and savvy with overall vision and goals to avoid personal leadership style get in the way of overall vision and goals.

3. "Great team."

Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DLR Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’m very happy here. I worked at small companies and big one. I worked at engineering firms with over 200 engineers and small ones with 20. Dlr fit right in the middle. Some of the smaller companies I been with were penny pinchers and the big ones too corporate. Great engineering leader. Lots of school project. You will learn lot dealing with the pain in the butt DSA but you will learn a lot too.

Cons

Some discipline seem to be very short staff and they get burned out. Dlr gotta really try harder to get more help or people will quit because they will feel like too much on their shoulders. I’ve been there and it’s not a good feeling. You going to have to look harder and maybe pay more to hire or keep staff. It’s thought finding help but if more people feel they getting burned out then they will quit. It’s going to get worse.

Advice to Management

Dlr is great company but you gotta actively seek help in certain discipline that are short staff. Don’t wait

4. "Great Architecture firm to be a part of."

Current Employee - Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Associate in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at DLR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They support an entrepreneurial mindset and personality.

Cons

This company can sometimes be too Corporate.

Advice to Management

Keep leading the company in the way we are going.

"Be prepared to be overlooked. Offer letter includes verbiage, they avoid honoring the agreement."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer

I have been working at DLR Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get paid every two weeks for being ignored for department decisions but being expected to put in 60+ hours on a salary. As for HR, very rude and unprofessional.

Cons

They value new hires more so than existing employees and promote new hires over employees who have established the firm. They value themselves as an "integrated firm", I beg to differ on this claim. You point out code errors and the senior management ignores because they don't know better.

Advice to Management

Respect the veterans and promote them based on their contributions. Make the new hires have to prove themselves.

6. "Architect"

Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at DLR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big company with a lot of resources. People are very friendly.

Cons

It's hard to find lucrative projects.

7. "Great culture and Opportunity"

I worked at DLR Group full-time

Pros

Culture is work hard, play hard. They roll around kegs on friday and have team lunches occassionally. The management was always open to hear suggestions whether in office or in work. Did not feel like a corporate pyramid.

Cons

Little room to grow because the marketing department is small and there simply aren't enough roles to move into. Have to put in a ton of time to move up.

Advice to Management

Get away from boys club mentality.

8. "Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at DLR Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a strong mentor and dedicated group of colleagues in my sector. The technical side of the practice was a great asset in my development.

Cons

Firm culture was torn between a movement to elevate design coming out of the Omaha office and the leaders/culture of the business sectors that have for decades produced huge profits without the focus on design excellence.

Advice to Management

Hold leadership in Omaha to the standards of leadership in PHX or Seattle -

9. "Excellent Design Firm"

Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DLR Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee owned, outstanding and innovative building design, amazing office culture, targeted business plan and mentor-ship program, ample opportunities for growth and pursuit of passions.

Cons

Con is more of an industry con and not DLR Group individually: heavy workload during final phases of construction documentation.

Advice to Management

Careful and deliberate distribution of deadlines to ensure not one group or individual is too overloaded.

10. "Engineer"

I worked at DLR Group full-time

Pros

Great project backlog and interesting project

Cons

Not enough staff and experienced PM