DMA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Dan Hutmacher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management switches hierarchy every two years" (in 10 reviews)

• "Work life balance is something that does not exist here" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great to participate in our firm's success."

Current Employee - Business Development in Rye, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in Rye, NY

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

DMA is an employee-owned firm in which everyone benefits from the firm's success through the ownership of equity. I worked in consulting and middle management and business development for many years, and I benefited from a manager and mentor who guided me into a more focused, business development role, many years ago. This has leveraged my strength and allowed me to have a longer term career (25 years so far!) focusing on bringing in business, based between Connecticut and New York. I appreciate the non-bureaucratic, entrepreneurial environment and the opportunity to benefit from equity ownership on a long term basis. Our management team are good people who I respect as people and successful business managers. Overall, my years at DMA have been a great blessing. The business model works well, and I remain motivated to work hard to produce for our firm.

Cons

You have to want to be in an environment that is profit-focused, which requires hard work and the ability to multi-task. Some jobs require extensive travel which can be difficult for some. Success is rewarded, but working for a consulting firm can be stressful and is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

I suggest to increase perks, nice gestures and encouragement to staff and junior level employees particularly.

2. "DMA"

I have been working at DMA full-time

Pros

DMA is a great company to work for!

Cons

I do not have any Cons.

3. "Senior Compliance Analyst"

I have been working at DMA full-time

Pros

Good benefits, good place to start out.

Cons

A lot of catty, childish employees. No work/life balance. Management is not good at hiring enough employees to handle the work load. High turnover rate due to high stress.

4. "Great company who works with you for your needs."

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've moved 3 times in the past 5 years since I started here and every single time (luckily) there was a DMA office in those cities. The company worked with me to create positions where I could fit into those offices. I couldn't be more grateful for the opportunities I've been given during my time here.

The managers I've worked with are usually pretty flexible with your schedule if things come up. They want you to succeed.

Some perks include: company pays long- term disability for you, ESOP, vacation starts at 2 weeks, goes to 3 weeks at 5 years; 4 weeks at 10 years, and bonuses at certain levels.

Cons

No maternity leave policy (paid or unpaid). No matching 401k. Little give back to lower level staff.

Advice to Management

Small things like appreciation, saying thank you to support people can go a long way. Even letting them go 30 min early on a Friday because you just completed a big project helps boost morale.

5. "Tax analyst"

I worked at DMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start your career.

Cons

Not much room for growth.

"Sales"

I worked at DMA full-time

Pros

Hours, good coworkers, time for Home life

Cons

Pay, no benefits, cold calling

7. "Great office and very nice people to work with."

Current Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Senior Compliance Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, friendly co-workers.

Cons

January to May is stressful.

Advice to Management

Less time in meetings and more time training.

"They don't give a damn about you"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• Able to customize your schedule between 7-9am start time.
    • Possibility of working 8 hour days for 5 days a week or 10 hour days for 4 days a week.
    • Its a pay check.
    • The building is in a nice location

Cons

• They pay is not enough for the amount of work, time and stress you endure.
    • No actual programs in place to get people moving or healthy. People are sick a lot. Very unhealthy place to work.
    • The stress is so much that people are out sick or working sick because they are out of sick time the majority of the time.
    • The expectations vs. time allowances are ridiculous.
    • They wait WAY too long to replace employees and instead lean too heavily on current employees to take up the extra work. Then when it is getting done they wonder if they reallllly need to hire another person to pick up the slack after all. As a result employees are over worked, underpaid and, depending on if your manager likes you, either patted on the back and told to suck it up or told you do not work quickly or efficiently enough.
    • Work distribution is so out of balance It is amazing this company is still standing. Some analysts have more than double the work of others. When they ask for help or relief they are told that they can handle it because of some sort of promotion that they will be getting eventually.. No help, deadlines are constant stress and a loathing for the company results.
    • They say it is a team effort but there is no team effort for those employees who are disliked by managers.
    • Favoritism from the managers gets you everything or nothing.
    • There are certain managers who are so bi polar and overbearing that they cause their employees to get physically ill by dropping unrealistic expectations and almost bewildering orders that make no sense. Many times, especially during very tight deadlines these managers tell their already stressed out, overworked employees to do something that is so irrelevant that it is bewildering that it was asked for. Like fixing an unimportant spreadsheet or asking an employee to suddenly add certain tag information to an enormous client and give them 2 days to do it when in reality it would take over a week to get it done. This told to the employees on deadline weeks. Stuff that can wait for off season. Sadly the upper managers are “Friends” with these bi-polar, mentally ill managers and will, 90% of the time, take their side and make you seem as if you are not doing your job well enough. Even when you work your behind off. It is the epitome of unfairness and the core of this company.
    • Work life balance is something that does not exist here.
    • There is a desperate lack of training for newly hired employees.
    • Rules apply to some but not to others.
    • They took away the summer outings which was a reward for a heavy busy season.
    • At last year’s Christmas party thing they stopped giving out gift cards to employees. First time in years. Not a word about it. No reason, no excuse. They just didn’t do it… wow.
    • Took away lots of events during the year under the questionable reason that they want to be debt free. Well that’s great. But do not take EVERYTHING away from the employees to do that. Learn how BALANCE works.
    • STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY if you value your health. They certainly don’t care about you or your health.

Advice to Management

• Read the CONS and learn something from it.
    o NO ONE will say anything to you because of the drudgery that exists here. If you speak up you will be made to look like a fool and your daily life will be made hell.

• Stop taking away everything from the employees and HIRE new ones to take stress off of us.
    • Quit being so greedy with your money. WE are making it for you. Without us we would all be out on our behinds. This company makes way too much annually to not allow a summer outing, or Christmas gift cards for your employees who bust their back ends for you.
    • Get some healthcare programs in here.
    • Help us to do a good job in ways other than threats. I heard that in one of the departments there is now a "write up" system if employees don't get their work done in time?

Seems like you are trying to kill people. Seriously. Please learn how balance works. I have worked here for years. I want to retire from this company but the way it is going it seems more likely I will be looking for a different job soon.

DMA Response

Aug 20, 2018 – Human Resource Manager

DMA believes that Glassdoor, when used appropriately, is a useful vehicle for the sharing of current and former employee-owners’ thoughts and opinions about the company. We routinely review... More

"Hmmm"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Carmel, IN

I have been working at DMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, causal dress code, little gym with a small fee that is owned by the building.

Cons

Staff are social introverts, which can make it hard to communicate. The management needs to have a revamp.

Advice to Management

More management training and less bad talking to the employees.

"Compliance"

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in Carmel, IN

I worked at DMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits, steady pay, can use experience to move onto other jobs

Cons

Low pay, favoritism, manipulation, and micro management. Managers have little respect for subordinates. Terrible training. If they don’t like you, you won’t last.

Advice to Management

Improved training. You are not better than those you manage. Need to take a course on how to treat others.