DMI "dmi" Reviews | Glassdoor

DMI Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2020

3.4
DMI Founder, President, & CEO   Jay Sunny Bajaj (no image)
Jay Sunny Bajaj

"Don't Do It!"

in Bethesda, MD

I worked at DMI

Pros

There's still a few good, hard working employees/managers that I had the pleasure working with.

Cons

Don't waste your time. DMI is considered a "Pit Stop" (a place to work for a few months while you find the right job for you) . I saw people leaving and being laid off left and right and unfortunately it was a constant. This company has no regards for its employees and the structure of their processes are not consistent.

Advice to Management

Executive overhead needs to take a deep look in their processes and staff. Not only are they impersonal including the CEO, but you need to cut the boys club and sexism in the office, since it's so visible. Also, create a retention policy, for the most part you are always changing the staff and doing "re-structuring". Change is good but nothing is ever consistent in this company.

DMI2016-06-03

"Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at DMI full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I worked there the benefits were very good. DMI is very good about recognizing employees. You feel like you are part of a team and not a number at this company. The holiday parties are the most extravagant I have ever seen. The hiring manager took me out to lunch on the first week and provided a salary beyond expectation.

Cons

Middle management has a tendency to want to manage everything remotely from HQ instead of providing face time with clients and on-site employees (This was the case on my contract). They are very effective at underbidding competitors which lead to existing employees having to accept "severe" changes in salary during contract turnover.

Advice to Management

Senior management - find ways to keep high performing employees to stay in the company. If this is not done, you will have a revolving door for funded positions and this will affect your ability to provide "consistent" performance for the end clients.

DMI2016-04-10

"Good pay, benefits, and telecommute."

Current Employee - Developer in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at DMI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some companies like to lowball you, DMI met my salary request with no questions asked. The benefits are pretty good. I really like that they offer a high deductible, low premium healthcare option with HSA. It's great if you're never sick and don't have any medical issues. Also love the fact that they support 100% telework employees. In fact my entire project team are all telework from home.

Cons

The typical cons of any 100% remote telework team - sometimes communication can be tricky, you can feel isolated when you don't interact with people face to face on a daily basis. Would be nice for team to get together in person some day for some team building.

Advice to Management

Make a formal effort to make telework employees feel like they are included and understand how their efforts contribute to the overall goals of the company.

DMI2016-04-01

"Please be advised: Worst Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CEO owns a Tilted Kilt, that's a pro right?

Cons

The Senior Executive staff is the worst mistake this company could make and it has only proven to go downhill from there. They just keep adding more and more vindictive employees to their shady staff of executives and is only continuing to hire such. The morals and ethics mandatory test the company sends out to their employees isn’t necessary and a waste of everyone’s time. Morals and Ethics of this company is purely based on favoritism and the only way to move up is to be “IN” with CEO and/or his sidekicks and willing to stab anyone in the back for your own benefit. Your actual hard work won’t pay off. The turnover rate for this company is ridiculous and only continues to worsen. The job security they provide is non-existent and you will often be lied to and manipulated by fellow colleagues to either bribe you to stay or, mold you into someone you never imagined you could become. There’s often under the table business deals going on and countless unprofessional encounters between seniors and subordinates. A majority of the Senior Staff isn’t willing to compromise with anyone else’s ideas so don’t think you’ll be coming into the company able to contribute a single pitch. However, they have no problem personally taking full credit for any contributions you may make. If you’re looking for a place to grow and seek new opportunities, just know that you’ll have a lot of kissing up to do in order to move up. This company is led to believe it’s a Fortune 500 IT Firm by covering it’s reality with spending money on things such as their fancy modern office design, high end lavish parties and useless knick knacks called “DMI swag” with DMI branding. They pretend to care about their employees with such materialistic things, but at the beginning of each work day, you wish you didn’t have to be there or dead.

Advice to Management

lead by example, not by bribery.

DMI2016-03-25

"Great company and amazing CEO. DMI future is bright."

Current Employee - New Business Sales

I have been working at DMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

DMI is in an amazing space with their vision of end to end mobility. The mobile industry is accelerating and DMI continues to innovate, and hire amazing people. The CEO, Sunny Bajaj, is one of the most genuine, and personable people I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Cons

The transition of building the end to end capabilities has come with challenges and hurdles, as would be expected. It has been a hard working few years while the divisions have come together as one, but it is really beginning to take shape in 2016.

Advice to Management

Keep acknowledging and rewarding the great people within the organization. Keep striving for change and never stop looking for the 'next big thing'. Technology is always changing and DMI shouldn't get caught behind.

DMI2016-02-04

"VTC Scheduler"

V VTC Technician in Occoquan, VA

I worked at DMI

Pros

Management was accommodating, flexible and took time to listen to your suggestions.

Cons

DMI HQ is really out of touch with their employees; every year there is some mandatory regulation put in place for employees to complete IF NOT the following year you paychecks were going to have to suffer a $50 charge for not complete a "voluntary" measure. The newest one is that starting next year if you leave the company willingly (resign) you will not be paid your accrued PTO!!! What kind of appreciation for your employees is this! Other than that job and co-workers are great.

Advice to Management

Make more efforts to engage with your employees.

DMI2015-08-07

"Worst Company"

in Bethesda, MD

I worked at DMI

Pros

Great location for DC/Montgomery County residents.

Cons

There is absolutely no communication from management to employees. You will be hard pressed to even find an org chart on the company intranet. The management team operates within its own bubble, and if you are not part of the "club", watch your back. The company likes to think it is hip and cutting edge, but that is all smoke and mirrors. They operate like it is still the 80's, where decisions are made behind closed doors and communicated after the fact. Not once was there ever even an all-hands meeting at Corp. Hdq to share current developments, achievements, the vision, etc. etc. The kinds of things most companies that are engaged with their employees do. Not at DMI. The CEO is a football fanatic, so every conference room is named with a football theme or expression. I guess that is great if you are still living a high-school dream. They offer free junk food and sodas - how cutting edge is that?? (cutting edge - no, cutting costs - yes) Soda and "gold-fish" are about as cheap as you can get. I also couldn't believe how many DMI employees I noticed that stand outside and take smoke breaks. Nothing like having to walk past second-hand smoke. It's amazing that in this day with all that is known about how cigarettes kill, to witness the number of folks from this company that smoke was alarming. Their approach to BD is purely reactive and ad-hoc - they chase just about everything, and there is no real vetting of opportunities. But then again, they are really just hoping to either sell off the company, or perhaps do an IPO at some point. The Federal business exists purely to subsidize the commercial Mobility group, which you don't really hear a whole lot about. That of course is consistent with the lack of communication from management. Best advice is to steer clear of DMI, unless you enjoy the typical beltway bandit mentality.

Advice to Management

Get real.

DMI2015-07-31
  8. "Mobility Market Leader. Great Place to Make Impact."

I have been working at DMI full-time

Pros

Company clearly in front of a new and emerging market. Great place to work if you want to help clients use mobile to impact their businesses. DMI seems like its on the upswing with management working together and cross-selling services across multiple business lines. No longer just a government contractor.

Cons

Company is in growth mode and reinventing itself. May not be the most comfortable place for people who don't like change / evolution.

DMI2015-06-22

"All smoke, no substance and always watch your back"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at DMI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice HQ w/ fancy coffees and snacks Good, hard working co-workers Good salary, above competition

Cons

No work-life balance Hostile working environment at HQ Very cut throat and back-stabbing High turnover Layoffs will continue until they can sell the company All the good buzz in mobility is all smoke. DMI hasn't won a recompete in over 2 years. No synchronization between the divisions, always competing against each other instead of working together Expect to work over 60 hours and work on vacation if you ever get approved for vacation 3 CFO in 2-3 years ... company has a bad reputation around DC area and the word is spreading Do not be fooled by all the perks, you won't be able to enjoy them anyway No honesty or clarity on the future of the company Complete lack of leadership and complete incompetence from higher management. It shows in the fact that they can't get contracts renewed or when they receive stop work order from customer

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and own up to the layoffs happening

DMI2015-07-08

"Not Bad and Not Great."

Senior Weblogic Administrator in Seaside, CA

I worked at DMI

Pros

I worked from home. Never had to go into the office, except to get my ID card. The office was very nice, free snacks and drinks even an XBox 360 and 60+ inch flat screen to play it on. I'm sure it wasn't used very much.

Cons

They couldn't keep people on the contract. We had few leave and come back for more than what they were asking for to stay. They would try to make people take on more responsibilities without giving them more pay for the additional duties. I'm pretty sure that's not how you are supposed to run a company. I'm sure most of the people stayed because they liked the contract and not DMI.

DMI2015-06-03