DMI "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

DMI Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 29, 2019

3.5
DMI CEO Jay Sunny Bajaj (no image)
Jay Sunny Bajaj
Pros
  • "DMI is a people company that invest in its employees, cultivates new ideas and drives innovation(in 32 reviews)

• "As a retired Army Officer, I enjoy the work environment, teamwork and the excellent morale of the employees(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "None; DMI is one of the best companies, I have had the opportunity to be a prat of(in 43 reviews)

• "More needs to be done for work life balance(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Love this company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at DMI full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cutting edge project work, work/life balance is real here, the benefits are strong, I love my co-workers and all of the events for the employees. I feel valued and always being pushed to develop my skills more. The Indy team and office is amazing!

Cons

While not perfect, this company is really great to work for. My cons are minor in comparison to other cons at other tech companies I have worked for.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the culture, push the envelope when it comes to strategy, DON'T lose the quality piece in all that we do.

DMI2017-07-19

"It was nice while it lasted."

I worked at DMI full-time

Pros

As one of the team members on one of the 4 or 5 companies DMI acquired back in 2014, the first few years of growth were great. Everyone was seemingly on board across the company with giving everyone the opportunity to grow within the organization, communication was as transparent as it could be in an organization of that size, and we were taking on new clients that we may not have had the opportunity to get... otherwise. Depending on the office and division you work for, the experiences will vary and I was one of the lucky ones that got to do cool work, surrounded by dedicated and collaborative teammates, and supportive middle management willing to help me learn and grow. If you like company-sponsored quarterly events, DMI has them with an annual summer picnic, Oktoberfest, Holiday/Awards party where they recognize employee accomplishments every year, and Tech Chef. I didn't work at HQ so I didn't always attend, but it's a nice perk regardless.

Cons

Unfortunately, as DMI continued to grow, that transparent communication got lost in the noise. New management members would get announced without clear explanation as to what their roles were or how it would impact the organization. It seemed like we were only growing at the top and not bringing in team members to do the work. Work/Life balance truly depends on which office you are in and what your job/role is. I... hear it was better in some offices than others but at the end of the day, it's an agency and working late is unfortunately the norm at DMI and everywhere. The benefits played a huge role in my decision to depart. The health insurance offered is extremely expensive, and I was only paying for myself and a spouse. It also didn't cover a lot, we were paying a lot out of pocket on top of paying hundreds every month for coverage. There is no paid family leave, which is a benefit offered at all of DMI's competitors both at the local level and national level. PTO is generous and I liked that it is combined sick and personal leave, but you could not roll it over year over year. Ultimately I wanted to continue to learn and grow beyond the position I was in and even though I was getting support at office management level, I felt as though it wasn't able to go any further in the organization. Through thorough research, I also learned I was underpaid for the position and duties I had. Ultimately there wasn't anything I could do here, as right around the time that I was discovering this a significant portion of the staff was laid off and I knew there would be no leg to stand on as far as asking for more money.

Advice to Management

Listen to some of the management of the companies you acquire to continue to improve the organization. During my exit interview, I was told that the attitude of management is to tell these new DMI employees that "your company was bought, so your former policies and procedures need to conform to DMI's" which is such a toxic attitude. None of those employees signed on to be DMI employees. And there could be a lot of... opportunities to improve the company or be more innovative if instead of just forcing everyone to adapt, everyone adapted together.

DMI2019-08-29

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Wish Not to Share

I have been working at DMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Upper Management does show they care for the employees, they offer great benefits and opportunities for career development.

Cons

More needs to be done for work life balance

Advice to Management

Some upper management need to remember when the work hours are over the employee should get the opportunity to unplug and enjoy life.

DMI2019-08-09

"Dishonest and Toxic"

Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at DMI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get a paycheck By and large they have good employees (sadly this is overshadowed by inept leaders, toxic culture and 0 company direction)

Cons

Where to begin. If someone were to write a book about how to successfully torpedo a company, DMI would be the perfect case study. -Unprofessional, ineffective and inept executive leaders -honesty and integrity do not exist here, especially at the executive level -toxic cut throat corporate culture -losing work at a rapid pace and not replacing it with new wins -revenue is in free fall -the good leaders they... have , are leaving in droves -fractured relationships with customers and partners -work life balance does not exist here -no company direction, they can't figure out what they want to do or what they're good at and because of that, they aren't particularly good at anything they try to do.

Advice to Management

None and even if I did, they wouldn't listen to it, which is why they find themselves in the position they are currently in. They don't and never will listen to their employees because they don't value their employees.

DMI2019-08-29
  5. "DMI"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at DMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool CEO, Management open door policy, Management easily accessible, Work/Life balance

Cons

No comp structure, No "real" job hierarchy or level structure, Not much room for growth

DMI2019-07-15

"Don't waste your talent here"

I worked at DMI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance and some of the people.

Cons

Senior leadership is horrible, which unfortunately ruins even working for the few good lower level managers. They only look out for themselves and don't care about the company or the work being done. They allow sloppy work to be produced and created a culture where complainers and non-team players win over the hard workers. The few good people still trying to make a difference get treated the worst. They make zero... data-driven decisions, even though they claim they are experts in that field. Then again, the company doesn't even know what they are trying to be experts in. The CEO is nice, but so far removed from everything that he doesn't have a pulse on what is really happening. No one cares about your career progression or future goals. Don't waste your time, any effort here will go under-appreciated and underutilized.

DMI2019-01-09

"Lots of work and not much work life balance"

Project Manager

I have been working at DMI

Pros

The client list is awesome, fun work environment, and plenty of smart people to learn from here.

Cons

No work life balance. I have worked here twice as an employee and contract have worked on holidays and most weekends. Expect to work on your vacations if they let you take vacations.

Advice to Management

Staff project correctly and then there wouldn't be a need for employees to work all hours of the night and weekends.

DMI2016-09-26

"You should totally work here!!!!"

I worked at DMI

Pros

Glassdoor is telling me I need at least 5 words, so yea

Cons

There is little investment nor concern in the retention of employees. If you get terminated without cause, likely the justification is due to restructuring which seemingly is done quarterly if not monthly. Turnover in the company is at an all time high, and the leadership has realized it's too late to fix a problem that could've been resolved years ago. If you went to HR with a problem, it would more than... likely not be resolved as the back office has no leadership experience in those fields and stand more with the company than the employee. Nepotism in this the company is its middle name. Work-life balance at this company does not exist as well. You will most likely be working if you are on vacation or out of the office even for a few hours. Not every department is managed poorly, some departments have leadership that actually invests in their employees and provides support when they need it. In relation to those departments, the turnover is very low so more than likely it will be rare to come by a position in that particular department. Trust in an employee is a delicate relationship, and this company does a great job of making sure you can never trust a company again. If you read the positive reviews closely, you can tell that they are written by HR, marketing, or the director of corporate communications. The worst part is that the current employees in the company know how much of a mess DMI is, yet no one in the leadership has tried to salvage best practices to retain employees. If you are offered a job at DMI and you have other choices, PLEASE take the other job. You will more than likely leave DMI within a year.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. Current employees already know they have no voice and aren't being heard. Give credit to the employees who get the job done at the end of the day, and take accountability for your mistakes (management) and fix your problems. Stop blaming it on the employee because you never provided the direction from the start. Reward the hard-working employees or you will continue to lose your... star employees. Stop setting up employees for failure as well. Reorganize the HR Department as they are supposed to be the moral compass of the company as the department is highly unethical.

DMI2016-10-21

"Not As Great As They Appear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at DMI full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful office space, company-paid happy hours, annual employee recognition, and a fun holiday party and other company sponsored events. The CEO is friendly and personable.

Cons

You are expected to work late into the night and on weekends with no incentives. I've seen people at all levels working until 11:00 at night and later. This is part of the culture and if you don't do the same, you will be cut in no time. There is NO work-life balance. Employees get fired all the time for a variety of reasons and VPs do not have consensus regarding what their long-term plans are. There is such a... high turn-over from the bottom up.

DMI2016-07-29

"Cares only about their pockets"

in Columbus, OH

I worked at DMI for more than a year

Pros

There is very little positive to mention about this employer. If anything, the work / life balance is good, but that's about it.

Cons

The company seems to care more about their pockets than they do their employees. They seem ill equipped to handle anything more than basic issues, and do not offer many benefits that make it worth staying. They seem to be more concerned with their public image than they do about anything behind the scenes. I was not impressed during my time here, and definitely wouldn't go back!

DMI2016-07-13