DNN Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Navin Nagiah

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Lots of great potential"

I worked at DNN full-time

Pros

I was surrounded by smart, focused and fun people. I would have stayed had I not been offered a leadership opportunity that really moved my career forward.

Cons

I'm really confused by the recent mean spirited reviews by ex-employees and what they hope to gain. If those employees care at all about their friends that are still there then they should not work so hard to destroy their livelihoods. While the CEO is committed he has on occasion let his intenseness prevent him from considering the feelings of others. But, I did find him to be genuinely interested in DNN's success.

Advice to Management

Ignore some of the harsh comments by disgruntled ex-employees, focus upon product innovations and rebuilding the culture.

"Going on 6 years with DNN"

Current Employee - Operations Finance Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Finance Manager in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at DNN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with DNN since January of 2011 so I've seen some significant ups and downs at DNN which I would expect in any organization. Because I have read some current reviews that DNN might be posting "fake" positive feedback, true or not, I don’t know but I hope that a reader who reads my review would take it with sincerity as I am disclosing my identity as Quoc Ngo.
    In my experience here, the Management Team have been the most sensible, hardworking and understanding group of managers I've ever met. From a range of personal events in my life while at DNN such as sleepless nights spent to obtain my CPA certification, getting married, having my daughter, experienced bereavements, etc., my manager have been extremely accommodating by allowing me to work from home, take last minute PTOs, send me get well gifts and such. This is very important because it is a reflection of the environment I go to every day. The manager truly believes in a work and life balance and I would know this because I was an auditor for 4.5 years where I put an average of 70hrs a week for that company. It is important because the environment allows me to safely approach my manager and ask him to be flexible and understanding in the situation in might be in. Our accounting dept is a skeleton crew of 3 people who handles all the non-sales, operational aspect of the company to make sure things continue to run in the back end but the Company let us take reasonable personal time off. It is a great give and take relationship because I get more leniency and in return I give my company 110% each day at work.
    Other pros for working at DNN are the benefits. Our CEO gave us a very generous budget to throw many offsite events and dinners throughout the year such as club seats at the SF Giant's stadium, cooking at the Fogerty winery, archery in SF, boat cruises, tacos stands in the park and many more. DNN are very generous with the catered meals and holiday festivities as well as a large variety of choices in the stocked pantry. For performance rewards, DNN have given away Hawaii, Mexico and Napa trips to top sales performers in addition to generous uncapped accelerators. For non-sales, employees have received bonuses, gifts, and more.
    One last thing I would like to share is a conversation with my wife about the commute from Fremont to San Mateo. She wanted to know if I am worn out from it. Most definitely yes! I have contemplated on working closer to home to be with my family on my instances but I have not because I look forward to working with my team every day. DNN have allowed me to expand the scope of my original responsibility by letting me take on new challenges and allowed me to be creative. I have a lot of friends in the tech industry and very few have been given a great experience that I have received at DNN. I thank DNN for recognizing my accomplishments and I hope DNN will continue to work on reaching high prosperity for all the employees who continue to come to work every day at DNN in hopes its success. In agreement with some my former colleague reviews, I think management can get caught up on dealing with a situation in the moment and can some time fail to plan ahead and proactively expect for the future. Management make mistakes. Management have failed to lead or provide guidance on certain issues. They are working on learning from their mistakes as anyone including myself who need to do.

Cons

In agreement with some of my former colleagues' reviews, I think management can get caught up in dealing with a situation in the moment and can sometimes fail to proactively plan ahead. Management makes mistakes. Management has failed to lead or provide guidance on certain issues. They are working on learning from their mistakes as anyone including myself would need to do.

It is very unfortunate that I lost some very close colleagues through the restructuring. I still miss them dearly. I believe it could have been executed better and the communication could have been clearer as it took me several meetings with my Manager to understand the thought process behind the planned restructuring.

Advice to Management

My advice to the Management Team is to patiently listen to what your employees are saying. If you feel like you are overwhelmed but you still want to leave your door open to let your employee to come in and confide in you, please make sure you are emotionally and professionally ready to listen to the employee. If there are still a lot of things on your mind and you need some time to clear your head before you can talk to that employee, please just let him or her know to give you a moment and come back an hour later or maybe the next time. It takes a lot of courage for an employee to freely express their feelings and opinions so please go into the meeting with an open mind and patience.

"Bright Future"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at DNN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When someone looks at the CMS market and understands where we fit in and where the company is going, it gives everyone around here hope for an awesome future. Product team is hard at work, marketing is extremely competent.

Cons

Boring culture. Very little positive re-enforcement from the top.

Advice to Management

Management needs to empathize with their direct reports more. They need to realize culture makes or breaks a company.

"Welcome to your new life on the Titanic!"

I worked at DNN full-time

Pros

The Office Administrator was the absolute best! Always smiling and positive. She made us all feel welcome.

Overall, the people were very nice and were a joy to work with.

Well stocked kitchen (thanks to that Office Administrator again!)

Decent benefits

Cons

No real training. Somewhat intense product required a good understanding.

Management, from the top down, play "games". Lots of things are supposed to be "understood", and when they're not, you hear about it.

Lack of transparency

HR originally came off as friendly and on your side, but you soon learn that she's working for Management all the way.

All the other negative reviews are correct, so I'd refer to them for more information

Advice to Management

It's hard to feel secure at your job when things change with such rapidity. At one point, and it was very brief, we had a good culture, then, DNN struck the iceberg.

You need to listen more to your employees. This isn't about the employees demanding too many things. Rather, it is about, take care of your employees and trust them to do the right thing. They will, but you're going to need to take that leap of faith.

"Well, it IS a job..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at DNN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees here tend to get along very well and, as a result, the different teams (Marketing, Product, Sales, Support, PS, etc.) tend to be more collaborative than you might find elsewhere. The CEO has a lot of experience and is often willing to grab coffee or have a chat in his office regarding anything you might be interested in learning about business in general. It can be a good place to network, as many of your coworkers will be at another company within a year.

Cons

I write this review out of an obligatory duty to prospective employees. If you are not desperately in need of employment, you should continue your search elsewhere. There's high churn on nearly every team but Product, which counts for zilch as high ranking members of that team are often pulled from product improvement projects in order to pick up the slack. Changes and new initiatives are frequent but are rarely data-driven and are never given ample time to succeed or even provide valuable data that might improve the next iterative decision. At the end of the day, the biggest issue here by far is that the people who work here are not appreciated. Employees are expected to don a company hat, while ego and emotion at the executive level have created an 'us vs. them' culture. Prospective sales team employees are blatantly deceived about earning potential. Punitive 7:30am Monday meetings (most employees commute), lengthy and often discouraging emails to entire teams, and annual quellings are all active reminders that DNN does not consider human capital or brain drain to be anything more than buzzwords. Working at DNN is a bit like dating someone who is openly cheating on you, but still feels like you're the lucky one.

Advice to Management

Reflect inward. The 'industry standard' defense is thin (if not wholly inaccurate). At a certain point, the microscope should be turned on the quality of decision making at the highest level

"Miserable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

There's a Keurig machine.

The longer you work at DNN the more desensitized you are to the horrible culture. You'll start thinking that micro-management, catty CEOs and inexperienced sales leadership is a norm for a tech company.

Cons

The biggest con would be the company's lack of self awareness. Dnn will continue to lose from competitors, lose good employees, and be stagnant in growth because the executives and management refuse to accept there's a problem. There's no strategy within the company. I saw them let go of a whole sales team (account management), then immediately realize that was a mistake. So they moved engineers into the open account manager positions to save customer churn. These are engineers with no sales experience ... they are now responsible for the company's revenue and is tasked to sell the product. That is just one example of the lack of business strategy and mindset this company has.

The turnover is unreal. The disappointing thing is that the company continues to discredit employee churn or job satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Become self aware of the culture at DNN. Instead of posting fake 5 star reviews, why don't you strategize on how to actually fix the culture so your current employees are happy? Freeze hiring until you figure things out. How ethical is it to recruit someone knowing how bad things are going?

"Unbearable"

I worked at DNN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The former employees
    -the old culture

Cons

The management team is very old school in all the wrong ways and does not take any feedback from current or former employees (during exit interviews). The CEO will berate employees with long emails and getting a compliment from him is unheard of. Sometimes people like to be celebrated for their good work. Its amazing how great the culture was despite all effort from C-level management. ABSOLUTELY no documentation on any business function. Middle Management is raw, green, inexperienced, overwhelmed, and has zero control in changing any business process. This makes for employees realizing that their "real" manager is C-level management and it creates a confusing hierarchy for all employees. The middle managers were put in the position so that C-level management had "yes" people in their corner.

Advice to Management

I would suggest treating people like human beings instead of robots. Until you understand that relationships drive business forward, DNN will never succeed. It's also not just about how you treat current employees but former ones as well. Cutting ties with someone who leaves the company sets a specific tone for the rest of the organization.

"A lost cause"

I worked at DNN full-time

Pros

The good reviews were authentic for their short period of time but I doubt any of those reviewers are even still employed at DNN.

Cons

High turnover. Restructuring is the solution for cleansing those who dare speak up and are considered insubordinate. No training for the job or expectations communicated and not until your exit do you find out there was a problem. Old school management schedules ineffective 7:30am meetings and expects you to stay late. Last month of every quarter is blacked out for use of PTO. Micromanaging from the CEO debilitates every department and his belittling emails to the company makes everyone a "yes" man. Inexperienced unqualified middle management have little to offer any experienced worker. Openly asking the company to spy and tattle brings an environment of distrust and paranoia. Good riddance to the toxic stressful environment!

Advice to Management

C-level management lacks emotional intelligence coupled by narcissism that makes them unable to comprehend that their style is the problem.

"Not a company for the ambitious"

I worked at DNN (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Break room is well stocked with food, drink and snacks.
    2. Some talented people who can bring alot to the table.
    3. Friendly and efficient office manager that can help with just about anything.
    4. A start-up style environment.
    5. A very good content marketing and demand generation team.
    6. Top notch support team.

Cons

1. Product is evolving but not after losing a lot of market share. Product management is way too slow to react to market conditions. Product managers are inexperienced.
    2. CEO is more of a middle manager rather than a C-level executive.
    3. Very old-school management techniques. Motivation is often in the form of berating emails.
    4. No upward mobility.
    5. No performance reviews, bonuses or other cash-in-pocket incentives.
    6. Unrealistic sales goals
    7. Finance team throw up too many obstacles
    8. No synergy between product team and sales team.
    9. Sales process very manual with lack of automation.
    10. Employees with the most tenure are disgruntled and hard to work with. They say always say no first.
    11. Nothing is documented.

Advice to Management

The company needs to update and modernize processes. The culture, product and management style are WAY behind for the Silicon Valley. Product needs to be more adaptable and quick to change depending on market conditions.

"Avoid at all cause!"

Pros

Great office manager that caters in great food at end of quarter. The team I worked with was truly amazing and talented (all of them are gone now)

Cons

There is no growth, no hope, no future
    There is though, completely blind and ignorant upper management team
    Product is always behind and always losing to competitors
    Product team denies that they are behind and blames others for not selling
    HR is unexperienced and untrustworthy
    CEO NEVER takes any feedback, NEVER

Advice to Management

Stop hiding from your mistakes. DNN is not going to become a good company if you decide to continue operating with your current upper management team. They are lazy, irresponsible, and arrogant. Also if you do decide to fire everyone once a year, stop lying to them during interviews, stop promising them futures. There is NO future at DNN.