DONAN Reviews | Glassdoor

DONAN Reviews

Updated Sep 30, 2019

Found 51 reviews

3.9
DONAN CEO Lyle Donan (no image)
Lyle Donan
Pros
  • "Excellent work life balance, more work opportunities are there if you so desire(in 10 reviews)

• "Work from home for a company that cares about you(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "High turnover- I mean high and in every department(in 4 reviews)

• "Leaving employment with them is a nightmare, as you are restricted with a non-compete clause(in 3 reviews)

1. "Donan is a family owned and operated company with a very driven and focused CEO."

Current Employee - Forensic Engineer

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The personality of the CEO permeates throughout the company. This means that it does feel like family, objectives are focused, and employees that are naturally driven will fit in (and do) well. All in all though it is a good place to work as an engineer. Leadership has their head in the right place and the work/life balance for engineers is hard to beat.

Cons

Like any group of people there are individuals that do not seem to be 100% on board with the culture. There are also decisions that are made that can be hard to understand from the bottom. That all comes with working within a corporate structure.

DONAN2019-03-22
  2. "Nice place to work."

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility is a good work benefit.

Cons

More hours working than expected.

DONAN2019-09-30
  3. "Good Start to the job"

Current Employee - Forensic Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good work/life balance, work from home/remotely in my region, company vehicle, resources/tools are always available (or can be gathered) to accomplish my job, willingness to change/adapt and try new things, great network of people to ask questions for new hires or if issues arise. I enjoy working on projects and the satisfaction of completing them in a timely manner (versus working on one... project for several months or years). I feel like I'm using my discipline-specific skills more here than in my past jobs while also challenging me to learn and expand my own knowledge (which is also encouraged and supported through training). I'm definitely happy that I joined the company and excited to see what's next for me.

Cons

Coming from a design-orientated field there were a lot of growing pains with learning the new system, programs, expectations, and get you enough information to initially have you go out on project on your own. The first few months were difficult, but I was assigned good mentors so I could ask questions and was able to shadow several engineers on their own field projects so I could see what "good" looked like. I... took a pay cut to work for the company, but the trade off for more flexible schedules and less overtime (which I haven't run into here) have given me a better quality of life than my past jobs - I haven't been with the company long enough to see how the raises and other bonuses supplement my own salary. I would also like to be more focused on my specific discipline than dividing my time between what I know/like and roof inspections (which is typical for every employee at Donan - all the engineering disciplines perform roof inspections as a full-time employees).

DONAN2019-09-18
  4. "Employment Here Dampens Self Esteem and Personal Value"

I worked at DONAN full-time

Pros

The CEO and others do show employee appreciation throughout the year.

Cons

I would not recommend employment with this company. Management in some departments are fear evoking people who are unsympathetic and rude. Everything is "ASAP!" and no matter how hard you try, it goes unrecognized. I was highly disappointed with this company and decided to leave.

Advice to Management

Train employees properly and don't allow bullying by managers. Don't allow management to treat valuable employees like school kids. Terrible practice and not tolerable.

DONAN2019-09-27
  5. "Customer Care"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at DONAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great resources. Friendly staff. Busy.

Cons

Calculating leadership. No idea what they’re doing.

DONAN2019-09-13

"Always changing, for the worse lately"

Current Employee - Project Forensic Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great CEO and vision. Potential for great work life balance.

Cons

I was hired with the premise that I could manage my own time and work efficiently to increase my compensation. That all changed with centralized scheduling. Now they fill up your week with inefficient driving, reduce the expected report writing time without consideration to the type of project and actual work hours. Then if you miss a deadline you get scolded like a child and asked to explain yourself. Engineers... are required to be thorough and correct, and sometimes that takes time. This doesn't seem to fit in Donan's current business model. Also the non-compete agreement keeps employees from finding better employment or looking for better compensation. This is a tool to keep raises below average and employees scared to leave or speak up about inequities.

Advice to Management

Stop increasing non-billable work requirements (endlessly changing program and client requirements), stop the disregard for time required for thorough reports and consider the hours spent on the road between studies. Road fatigue is a real thing that can have serious consequences. Also, changing the terms of employment after being hired and then scaring employees with a non-compete to stay will only degrade your... reputation. your product would be better and more profitable with more transparency, honesty & mutual respect.

DONAN2019-04-05

"Great job for someone who enjoys figuring thinks out"

Current Employee - Senior Forensic Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Job satisfaction; enjoyable work; fast paced; opportunities to earn beyond salary; non-competitive environment; honesty paramount;

Cons

Not for someone who wishes to rise out of engineering and into highest level of management since there is very spaces in this family owned business.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to those who say what they believe you would like to hear. Remember that just having an open door policy does not mean folks with actual cross the threshold and talk honestly.

DONAN2019-03-04
  8. "Great for family"

I have been working at DONAN full-time for less than a year

Pros

Company is focused on productivity but still allows for family life and offers great flexibility. Work from home for a company that cares about you.

Cons

To be a top performer, you'll have to spend at least some time during the nights and/or weekends to finish projects - somewhere between 15 minutes - 2hours.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to feedback from the field.

DONAN2019-03-05

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Donan is challenging, innovative, and always high speed in the best of ways. The culture here is amazing, the people are amazing, and the benefits are great. Donan is a family owned business and they do a great job of making you feel like your family too.

Cons

There are really no cons to speak of. There are standard things that most people would complain about when it comes to work, but there is nothing that stands out here as a "con".

DONAN2019-03-01
  10. "Grade A-"

Current Employee - Forensic Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DONAN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, working from home, flexibility of when to write reports, company culture, salary plus ability to work more hours for more pay is great, the good company culture rubs off and everyone so far has been great. The training takes a month and its a steep learning curve. However, it was worth it. The pros certainly outweigh the cons.

Cons

Centralized schedule is a hit or miss. The way billable travel time is counted isn't the best for the engineer; highly depends on where you live and where the most projects tend to be. These are the only bad things which is not too bad.

Advice to Management

Management is good as it can be in my opinion.

DONAN2019-03-01