DRT Strategies Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Arlington, VA

2.3
Susan M. Kidd

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexibility and encouragement of work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• DRT constantly strives to make the employees happy, and ensuring that all employees are happy doing their work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest issue the firm faces are growing pains associated with the tremendous growth over the past few years (in 5 reviews)

• They say they want happy employees, but keep changing policies that make having a work/life balance impossible (in 3 reviews)

"Changing company with many benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DRT is a great place to work with a culture that thrives on collaboration, hard work, and creativity. The company has recently rolled out some great new policies and benefits that will direct impact the employees. I am happy to work for a company that values team work and hard work.

The company cares about their employees and customers; I am very impressed by their willingness to listen and change. DRT's ability to adjust course has been great for team morale.

With recent attrition, the company is working on fostering a stronger community by focusing on team and individual morale, training, and company policies. DRT's commitment to its employees makes me feel optimistic in its ability to evolve with growth.

Overall, I have enjoyed working for this company immensely; I would and have recommended friends to join it.

Cons

The teams are disparate and I have found that to connect with other employees and leadership you have to attend company functions and participate in company initiatives.

The company is still relatively small and to be considered for professional growth opportunities, employees need to invest time in networking and helping with business development or identifying new work. If you are looking for a bench or for frequent project changes, that is not what this company is about. Leadership encourages all employees to do well in every job no matter what it is before they will consider you for new projects. That sometimes takes patience and involves finding growth or "extracurricular" activity while waiting for the perfect next role.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, it is important to mature as an organization. This includes involving more people in the management and growth of the company instead of trusting the mid- to top- tiers of leadership. By involving all levels in the company goals, you will be pleasantly surprised that many of your employees are eager to help and will bring new, creative ideas.

"Puppets Only Need Apply"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent offices and close to Metro. Key needed for bathrooms (good security) and parking nearby or under the building. They planned a move to a new location so this may no longer be accurate since I left early in the year.

Cons

This group (senior leadership) presents themselves as an empowering force for professionals to contribute, collaborate and bring innovation. According to them, they only hire the "110% DRTer". That translates to "we will only listen if it is exactly what we are already doing". They speak poorly of each other (senior leaders and HR) behind their backs and this all happened on my first day. They created a position, courted me for weeks, asked me not to accept another offer until another principal could return, made the offer and two weeks later decided they were not ready for a position at this level so they are eliminating it. In my interview (4 separate leaders) they all gave solid justification for why now was the time for this new role (HUGE sales pitch carefully coordinated). In the two weeks I was there, top leadership (who constantly whisper about the "sorority sister" relationship between two of the principals shares that she doesn't want to work there anymore and it became painfully obvious that my job was to be the agreeable sounding board. So the picture painted for me in my interview was just one big lie. Miserable doesn't even come close. When I was unwilling to sit for another hour and listen (since I had been hired to do a job) and politely excused myself, the passive aggressive retaliation began. This individual became instantly angry when in a meeting I made a few suggestions and they were applauded (doing what I was hired to do). I was later told that she had been making the same suggestions for months while holding down my department and her own and no one ever acknowledged her ideas. This made the nit-picking all the more aggressive. No amount of support and acknowledgement placated this bitter "professional". So when I was summarily dismissed after two weeks I was not in the least surprised when I was told they were "eliminating" the position after "careful consideration". Of course this is after the months of "careful consideration" given as to why this position was critical to their growth as a "player" in the new category of business they were now a part of. They did me a huge favor and I am relieved that only two weeks of my life was affected. This place is a cesspool of gossip, back-biting and negativity, cloaked in cheesy grins and "girls run the world" banners (figurative). I have to say that the other employees I came in contact with were pleasant, helpful and competent. Hopefully, they won't get on the bad side of the wrong individuals. Another interesting factoid: The position they eliminated has been filled with someone who views my LinkedIn profile regularly. Someone should tell them that LinkedIn notifies and identifies who's viewing you.

Advice to Management

Install mirrors. Not for admiring how you've conquered the world but to see why you are bleeding "110% DRTers" by the dozens.

"Looks great from the outside, but a disaster for the little guy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company recently gave us a floating holiday and increased commuting reimbursement amount. Work is generally easy.

Cons

Project level managers create an uncomfortable and exclusive culture, they do not receive enough training, and unprofessionally talk about clients and coworkers personal characteristics and looks. Some rule via a culture of fear. Workload delegation is unfair, with some employees given weeks worth of work at a time while others sit around with nothing to do. Interpersonal dynamics will make or break your ability to do you job. Also there is 0 job security and minimal growth opportunity. Compensation is not aligned with local competitors.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with project staff at client site. Have private one-on-ones to get a better understanding of the real issues plaguing the company. You should invest resources to better identify who the problem people are. Why do you think most people on this site would NOT recommend DRT to a friend??

4. "Great Company, Wonderful People, Excellent Compensation!"

Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with this company for about a year, and I would say that DRT is a great company to work for. They provide excellent benefits to the employees which is 401K, 4 weeks’ vacation, just to name a few. DRT also believes in providing their employees with a good Work/Life life balance. They also believe in people, and providing their employees with essential training that will help the employees to deliver a quality product to the client. I am someone that does not have Project Management in my background, although I have played that role in the past, but that is most definitely not my primary role. DRT believed in me, hired me and trained me in the key aspects that I was missing. I do not think that any company in this day and age is willing to do that. They also encourage their employees to get involved in various activities that lie outside our job role, and they compensate them for engaging in those activities. A good example would be the internal audit. DRT requested employees to assist them with internal audit process, and they provided those volunteers with charge codes to charge the hours spent doing those activities. DRT constantly strives to make the employees happy, and ensuring that all employees are happy doing their work.

Cons

I cannot think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good work

DRT Strategies Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your positive feedback! DRT strives to be an employer of choice and continually looks for ways to enhance our work/life balance and company culture.

"Good People Trying Hard and Failing"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly competent people who mean well and are fun to work with. $8 per day commuting allowance. Generous annual training budget. Work is generally easy.

Cons

Middle management is very cliquey. Salary negotiations are non-existent and salary increases are poor.

DRT Strategies Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to hear that not all of your experiences working at DRT have been positive. DRT is committed to creating an inclusive environment with open... More

6. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly.
    Let me choose different projects to work on.
    Paid well for an intern position.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Good workers poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working level of the company has many bright stars in the waiting that are eager for the right type of leadership and mentorship.

Cons

The management level and senior leadership is callous at best. They routinely "fired" employees without notice and made the terminated employees feel like it was their fault. In most cases I witnessed it was either: 1) the person was placed in a job that they didn't fit and provided little or no mentorship; or 2) the company poorly planned future opportunities and failed to successfully build/identify new work for staff on contracts that were expiring.

Advice to Management

Build a leadership worthy of the working level staff you hire.

"Frustrating Company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Benefits & PTO
    Work is not challenging or time consuming outside of 9-5.
    There are a lot of really smart and talented people scattered around the company.

Cons

Your experience at the company is really dependent upon which contract you get thrusted into. You could have a great client and work from home 5 days a week, or you could be commuting an hour each way to the client site. Don't expect the company to be looking out for your career interests. If you want to be successful here, you have to keep your head down, not make noise, and bill your hours. The company has a history of terminating employees that rock the boat too much and clash against the status quo. Turnover is exceptionally high here at all levels for a reason.

Advice to Management

Invest in actually training your employees and not just chasing certifications, start over building up the internal processes of the company, and prove to your employees that it's not just about billing. As long as you have this negative mindset in the office, you aren't going to retain real talent.

9. "Great Company!!"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great culture set by Susan Kidd
    -Real focus on work/life balance
    -Great colleagues
    -Very employee-centered
    -Challenging and rewarding work
    -Compensation great when considering how many hours are worked
    -More than enough PTO
    -Rapidly growing company
    -In-company training as well as compensation for training received from outside the company
    -Great perks and benefits (commuting, free food, happy hours)

Cons

-Compensation not as good as bigger companies (expected)
    -Not as many projects to choose from due to smaller size
    -Some managers can seem to be out-of-touch
    -Rapidly growing company

10. "So glad I chose to join DRT!"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DRT is a great company - small size but big enough to have diverse projects and fun yet challenging work, collegial and friendly team members, and supportive leadership!

Cons

Does not have all the big company perks like company business cards for all staff but does have big company-like perks with respect to professional development (Training) allowance, monthly happy hours, and a swanky HQ office in Arlington (Ballston), VA

Advice to Management

Strengthen company wide mentoring program