DRT Strategies Reviews in Arlington, VA | Glassdoor

Arlington, VA

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan M. Kidd

"Changing company with many benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

DRT is a great place to work with a culture that thrives on collaboration, hard work, and creativity. The company has recently rolled out some great new policies and benefits that will direct impact the employees. I am happy to work for a company that values team work and hard work.

The company cares about their employees and customers; I am very impressed by their willingness to listen and change. DRT's ability to adjust course has been great for team morale.

With recent attrition, the company is working on fostering a stronger community by focusing on team and individual morale, training, and company policies. DRT's commitment to its employees makes me feel optimistic in its ability to evolve with growth.

Overall, I have enjoyed working for this company immensely; I would and have recommended friends to join it.

Cons

The teams are disparate and I have found that to connect with other employees and leadership you have to attend company functions and participate in company initiatives.

The company is still relatively small and to be considered for professional growth opportunities, employees need to invest time in networking and helping with business development or identifying new work. If you are looking for a bench or for frequent project changes, that is not what this company is about. Leadership encourages all employees to do well in every job no matter what it is before they will consider you for new projects. That sometimes takes patience and involves finding growth or "extracurricular" activity while waiting for the perfect next role.

Advice to Management

As the company grows, it is important to mature as an organization. This includes involving more people in the management and growth of the company instead of trusting the mid- to top- tiers of leadership. By involving all levels in the company goals, you will be pleasantly surprised that many of your employees are eager to help and will bring new, creative ideas.

2. "Great Company, Wonderful People, Excellent Compensation!"

Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with this company for about a year, and I would say that DRT is a great company to work for. They provide excellent benefits to the employees which is 401K, 4 weeks’ vacation, just to name a few. DRT also believes in providing their employees with a good Work/Life life balance. They also believe in people, and providing their employees with essential training that will help the employees to deliver a quality product to the client. I am someone that does not have Project Management in my background, although I have played that role in the past, but that is most definitely not my primary role. DRT believed in me, hired me and trained me in the key aspects that I was missing. I do not think that any company in this day and age is willing to do that. They also encourage their employees to get involved in various activities that lie outside our job role, and they compensate them for engaging in those activities. A good example would be the internal audit. DRT requested employees to assist them with internal audit process, and they provided those volunteers with charge codes to charge the hours spent doing those activities. DRT constantly strives to make the employees happy, and ensuring that all employees are happy doing their work.

Cons

I cannot think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good work

DRT Strategies Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your positive feedback! DRT strives to be an employer of choice and continually looks for ways to enhance our work/life balance and company culture.

"Good People Trying Hard and Failing"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly competent people who mean well and are fun to work with. $8 per day commuting allowance. Generous annual training budget. Work is generally easy.

Cons

Middle management is very cliquey. Salary negotiations are non-existent and salary increases are poor.

DRT Strategies Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to hear that not all of your experiences working at DRT have been positive. DRT is committed to creating an inclusive environment with open ... More

5. "Great place to work!"

Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was very friendly.
    Let me choose different projects to work on.
    Paid well for an intern position.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Good workers poor leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working level of the company has many bright stars in the waiting that are eager for the right type of leadership and mentorship.

Cons

The management level and senior leadership is callous at best. They routinely "fired" employees without notice and made the terminated employees feel like it was their fault. In most cases I witnessed it was either: 1) the person was placed in a job that they didn't fit and provided little or no mentorship; or 2) the company poorly planned future opportunities and failed to successfully build/identify new work for staff on contracts that were expiring.

Advice to Management

Build a leadership worthy of the working level staff you hire.

"Frustrating Company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid Benefits & PTO
    Work is not challenging or time consuming outside of 9-5.
    There are a lot of really smart and talented people scattered around the company.

Cons

Your experience at the company is really dependent upon which contract you get thrusted into. You could have a great client and work from home 5 days a week, or you could be commuting an hour each way to the client site. Don't expect the company to be looking out for your career interests. If you want to be successful here, you have to keep your head down, not make noise, and bill your hours. The company has a history of terminating employees that rock the boat too much and clash against the status quo. Turnover is exceptionally high here at all levels for a reason.

Advice to Management

Invest in actually training your employees and not just chasing certifications, start over building up the internal processes of the company, and prove to your employees that it's not just about billing. As long as you have this negative mindset in the office, you aren't going to retain real talent.

8. "Great Company!!"

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great culture set by Susan Kidd
    -Real focus on work/life balance
    -Great colleagues
    -Very employee-centered
    -Challenging and rewarding work
    -Compensation great when considering how many hours are worked
    -More than enough PTO
    -Rapidly growing company
    -In-company training as well as compensation for training received from outside the company
    -Great perks and benefits (commuting, free food, happy hours)

Cons

-Compensation not as good as bigger companies (expected)
    -Not as many projects to choose from due to smaller size
    -Some managers can seem to be out-of-touch
    -Rapidly growing company

9. "So glad I chose to join DRT!"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DRT is a great company - small size but big enough to have diverse projects and fun yet challenging work, collegial and friendly team members, and supportive leadership!

Cons

Does not have all the big company perks like company business cards for all staff but does have big company-like perks with respect to professional development (Training) allowance, monthly happy hours, and a swanky HQ office in Arlington (Ballston), VA

Advice to Management

Strengthen company wide mentoring program

"Ok company"

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some excellent consultants with great personalities and professional skills. Benefits are "ok".

Cons

Some managers are good but others are quite terrible. Not sure how these people are chosen but many don't have the required skills or personality to manage others! There's VERY little communication between Managers and Associates. Associates at all levels are expected to operate on their own but when Managers write reviews, they sometimes write things that are simply not true. The pay increase, annual review and promotions are a big mystery and cause a lot of dissatisfaction among the employees. I have been with DRT Strategies for 3 years and the company has declined significantly over the last couple of years. The turnover is HUGE and lots of good people left because the management is horrible.

Advice to Management

Come down from Mount Olympus once in a while and talk to the Associates. We are the workforce that keeps the company profitable and are treated like comodities.

11. "DRT is an amazing company that truly cares about its employees!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work culture, Life/Work Balance, Positive Learning Environment, Fun activities and perks

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Work to ensure consistency in processes throughout the company.