DRT Strategies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Susan M. Kidd

1. "Hard working, engaged employees thrive"

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

DRT provides excellent benefits and empowers its employees to excel. DRT provides employees a significant training budget to build on skills and continue professional development. The company offers excellent health options and has recently increased PTO and parental leave. Management will not force you to use your training, but employees are expected to bring value to the client and company on a daily basis in a consultant-theme landscape. DRT works to hire the best and the brightest and focuses its efforts on delivering excellent value to the client, while respecting the work life balance of the employee.

Timelines and delivery expectations have always been reasonable, and while there are some long days in the office, most weeks average between 40-50 hours for most staff. DRT'ers who want to excel and want to put in more hours are allowed to do so, and are rewarded for going above and beyond.

It is unfortunate to see some negative comments below, because that is not the environment that I have witnessed, or the environment that the company has focused on creating.

Cons

Doing the minimum to get by will not get you a promotion, large pay increase, or extra praise, and this is not a staff augmentation firm. There is an expected level of quality, work effort and engagement required to be a good consultant, and the firm will expect results. The biggest issue the firm faces are growing pains associated with the tremendous growth over the past few years. While the pains may be felt in different areas they also give DRT'ers the ability to engage and fix them.

Advice to Management

Growing pains are difficult to get through and management should continue to ensure that there are multiple opportunities for DRT'ers to become engaged in the process and enact lasting change in the company. Account management should be better defined and using a band-aid where major surgery is needed will not suffice. Ensuring the employees feel emboldened to suggest changes are key to this process and communicating with them directly is key. Further ensure that all DRT'ers are engaged in the process in areas that affect them. Not all fixes can be top down and some fixes have to be organically found at the team/task level.

"Needs Help"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

DRT does a great job of recruiting incredible talent; good people who just want to do great things and be successful.

Cons

Management! Management lacks the skills, EQ, and leadership to challenge and lead the incredible talent DRT is able to attract. Because of this, DRT experiences high turnover.

Advice to Management

Take a strong look at your management in certain areas and challenge yourselves to change.

"Do Not Recommend"

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$8 daily commute allowance, good PTO, good training budget. Not a bad place for young employees looking for an entry level job.

Cons

Culture:

Like many reviews previously stated, the company is cliquey and extremely not transparent in terms of merit increase, promotions, and performance review. The company takes little interest in retaining employees, and is perfectly fine with hiring new employees. I do think it has to do with the general consulting culture, but the mid to upper management will literally do ANYTHING to keep the clients happy, which leads to lose of their own employees.

Compensation:

After leaving DRT, I discussed compensation packages with ex-DRT employees and concluded that the company severely underpays the lower to mid level workers (somewhere between 15-30% under market value).

Advice to Management

Invest in employees, not just mid-upper management. Employee happiness is just as important as customer happiness.

"Senior Associate"

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

Competitive Salary, PTO and benefits

Cons

Very high turnover rate. Favoritism amongst management. Poor communication across all tiers. Poor onboarding process. Mismanagement of employee privacy by leadership.

Although I had other offers I chose DRT. The opportunity to grow a new division of an mid sized consulting firm excited me. However, I learned my growth would be stunted quickly by management who were stuck in their ways and seasoned employees within various cliques...

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally. Exercise team building activities. Promote employee recognition for those who are overlooked.

"Do not work here"

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

There are some genuinely good people who work at DRT

Cons

No growth potential (org is very top heavy), staff does not trust HR, many people unhappy and trying to leave, no transparency about compensation or how increases are decided, people constantly feel their job is at risk

Advice to Management

Clean house

7. "Great Company, Wonderful People, Excellent Compensation!"

Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Expert Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with this company for about a year, and I would say that DRT is a great company to work for. They provide excellent benefits to the employees which is 401K, 4 weeks’ vacation, just to name a few. DRT also believes in providing their employees with a good Work/Life life balance. They also believe in people, and providing their employees with essential training that will help the employees to deliver a quality product to the client. I am someone that does not have Project Management in my background, although I have played that role in the past, but that is most definitely not my primary role. DRT believed in me, hired me and trained me in the key aspects that I was missing. I do not think that any company in this day and age is willing to do that. They also encourage their employees to get involved in various activities that lie outside our job role, and they compensate them for engaging in those activities. A good example would be the internal audit. DRT requested employees to assist them with internal audit process, and they provided those volunteers with charge codes to charge the hours spent doing those activities. DRT constantly strives to make the employees happy, and ensuring that all employees are happy doing their work.

Cons

I cannot think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep up with the good work

Jan 23, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your positive feedback! DRT strives to be an employer of choice and continually looks for ways to enhance our work/life balance and company culture.

"Culture is not what they say it is"

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

commuting expense is a nice benefit - that is the only pro I have to offer

Cons

Cliquey corporate office. Those who interview you, at corporate make the culture seem so wonderful and you buy into it. Then you find out the ugly truth. If your not part of the clique then don't speak up if you feel there is "wrong doing". Don't try to do your job they just want robots do what we say and don't stir the pot. DRT could be a GREAT company if management would take a good hard look and see the fearful and harmful environment that is the real culture.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the team, take the plunge, make the changes that need to occur or you will continue to loose good, skilled, dedicated employees who came to DRT because they valued the culture that was presented to them.

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments. It is unfortunate that your experience at DRT did not match our intention of being an employer of choice. At no time do we tolerate any form ... More

"Good People Trying Hard and Failing"

Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at DRT Strategies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly competent people who mean well and are fun to work with. $8 per day commuting allowance. Generous annual training budget. Work is generally easy.

Cons

Middle management is very cliquey. Salary negotiations are non-existent and salary increases are poor.

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to hear that not all of your experiences working at DRT have been positive. DRT is committed to creating an inclusive environment with open ... More

"Do not recommend"

Former Employee - Expert Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Expert Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good commuting reimbursement, generous PTO

Cons

No transparency, agree with those below that management is cliquey. No job security keeps staff on edge. Extremely poor salary increases. Many staff in the process of leaving, lots unhappy

Advice to Management

Take better care of your people if you want them to stay. "Walk the walk"

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for your review and feedback about your time working at DRT. Transparency, communication and inclusion are part of our DRT culture and it is important to hear your concerns so that we can ... More

"Ditto..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at DRT Strategies full-time

Pros

401 K match; daily commuting allowance of $8

Cons

i agree completely with many of the other reviews that have been written. though when i look at glassdoor i sometimes wonder as to the accuracy of the review so instead of rewriting the same points, see below for some of the most recent reviews which i found to be spot on from my experiences at DRT Strategies.
    - 'Looks rosy to those in corporate office, but project employees suffer' - 100% agree
    - 'Stay away from DRT Strategies' - mostly true
    - 'Secrecy, favoritism, and zero job security. Second largest account in leadership free fall' - very true
    - 'Politics, Disrespect, and Lay-offs Abound' - 100 % accurate

Advice to Management

invest in your people

Feb 13, 2017 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences while working at DRT. All feedback, both positive and negative, help us to build on our strengths and work on areas where we find ... More