DS Services of America Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 5, 2015

Found 10 reviews

1.6
Tom Harrington
  1. "Door to Door, cold calling, and lead generating Commercial and residential sales"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Riverside, CA

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love talking to people and liked meeting new people everyday and also servicing the customers I had sold to. The pay was good and I learned alot about the industry.

Cons

Always changing customer service values

Advice to Management

Value the employees who produce the number of sales desired

DS Services of America2014-03-02

"Its all about the numbers"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in El Paso, TX

I worked at DS Services of America

Pros

health insurance was good, old beat up vans had air conditioning.

Cons

Discriminated against people who lived in apartments, mobile homes, public housing,...if we knocked on your door to offer service and you were home...it was because you were unemployed. Management was more like a dictatorship, I voted this my worst job I ever had.

Advice to Management

Quit and see if you can make it somewhere else, you wont be able to give what you demand!!!

DS Services of America2015-03-05
  3. "Constant Cold Calling"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, every residence and business is a potential customer.

Cons

Once sale has been made then it completely gets turned over to the Route Drivers...no residual commissions. 99 percent of sales calls are cold calls...no relationship selling. Grunt work that burns out a lot of their sales people after only a few years or less...not a good long-term career.

Advice to Management

Give your sales people more opportunities to establish relationships with customers and some residual commissions for doing so rather than give all of the servicing of accounts to the route drivers.

DS Services of America2014-06-05

"Totally Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is nothing positive about this place. The management team is condescending to the employees as well as dishonest to customers and other management

Cons

Management is completely incompetent and ill tempered. Everything about this place is a con especially management

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect even if you think you know everything. If there was a negative rating option on this review I would definitely choose it

DS Services of America2014-01-24
  5. "Great people to work with, good benefits"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Be out in the field, talking to many prospective customers, good management.

Cons

Need better base pay, more opportunities for advancement. More training for employees to have success.

Advice to Management

Have more incentives with sales team.

DS Services of America2013-07-22

"Worst job I ever had!"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a job. Not much of one, but a job. Really didn't see any positives here.

Cons

Crappy management, unorganized, unprofessional, didn't follow through with mileage pay, 1950's style motivational methods. A complete nightmare! Constantly contact you on your days off after working 50+ hours. Employees only care about themselves.

Advice to Management

They need to get some. They completely lacked any sort of management structure.

DS Services of America2013-07-23
  7. "Not the best job in the world"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of Autonomy, freedom, paid expenses, benefits

Cons

Big promises, low wages, no upward mobility

Advice to Management

na

DS Services of America2013-01-10

"Terrible."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Occasionally, you will get a paycheck, albeit a small one.

Cons

As a sales person, I would strongly advise anyone to just turn and run if you are considering a position at ds waters. Employees are treated as expendable. Sales is not a core focus, or even a second thought. Deep Rock water is not the same company it was for the past 115 years. (DS waters purchased deep rock).

Advice to Management

Stop giving each other the old "rah rah go team" line of bologna. Rather than focus on how you can make routes more efficient, tracking employees with gps and cameras in the cabs of trucks and vans, try listening to your employees. The culture in your company is the most awkward, self centered, and ego driven one I have ever experienced.

DS Services of America2012-12-07

"Laid off in 3 months!"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Irvine, CA

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got to drive around in a company van. During the first 3 weeks, the sales manager treated us to free lunches (seemingly making it appear this was a "great" company to work for).

Cons

Quite possibly one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. I was laid with 3 other new hires during our training period. They gave us outdated information, outdated brochures, outdated technology and outdated sales tactics and told us to make at least 2 sales a day or we'd be written up. Seriously, who uses Explorer 5.0 these days?! Since I was Sales Consultant, everyone in the company treated me like crap! Then...

Advice to Management

A complete overhaul from inside out, top to bottom! You have great potential to be great, but you decide to linger in a 30 year old business plan. Written on the wall of YOUR employee wall is written, "Don't let systems replace humans". Congrats, this is EXACTLY what you did. Getting laid off was the best thing about this job.

DS Services of America2012-11-13

"An incompetent, slow, and bureaucratic nightmare"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at DS Services of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Struggling to find any, besides the front-line workers, for the most part, who were/are great-most of the drivers and warehouse personnel. Many of these people have forgotten more knowledge about the industry than much of upper management will ever learn. As far as the company itself, however, unless your only other frames of reference are similarly top-heavy, bumbling, micro-managing debacles, there really aren't any...

Cons

Incompetent and arrogant management. A highly misleading compensation structure that rarely works as advertised. Lack of local control. Complete lack of respect for sales people. Micro-managed and heavy on the red tape. HR that is more of a company watch/attack dog than any type of impartial employee "go-to". Unorganized, overly complicated, process rather than result-oriented. A CYA management team that comes from an...

Advice to Management

Where to start? A complete revamping of the current business model and structuring, including cleaning house of current upper management. Until this company begins to value the people that drive their business, nothing changes. There is a reason why other companies who "get it" are having record years, largely at your expense.

DS Services of America2012-11-09