DSS Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Simple, entry-level job"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in White Settlement, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in White Settlement, TX

I worked at DSS Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like tedious work and don't like change, this job is for you. This is a entry-level call center job. Casual dress. Weekly pay. Plenty of OT opportunities. Paid holidays after 90 days. Set schedule.

Cons

May be boring if you sit next to someone who is not a people person or doesn't engage in conversation. Very strict on break times (can't go over or you will get written up).

Advice to Management

I believe there could be a better selection of the managers at this company.

2. "No Stress Work"

I have been working at DSS Research full-time

Pros

Easy job. No stress. Great for older workers or retired people. Great hours.

Cons

A lot of turn around. Maybe a higher wage would decrease high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

A little morale building and positive team building would work wonders for keeping hard working dependable workers. We don't feel appreciated.

3. "Simple job for entry level skills"

I worked at DSS Research full-time

Pros

There were only a few things about this job that I actually liked. It is very easy to get hired here, you will be hired same day assuming you meet qualifications. There are an abundance of open spots so they literally take everyone. My supervisor and team lead were incredible people who were on top of their jobs. They always encouraged us to work harder and gave incentives. The job itself is very simple, you dial the numbers, ask the questions on the screen, and as long as you can read/ be enthusiastic about it, you should be fine. There was always room for over time and you could easily make far more than your average 40 hours per week. This is an ok place if you are looking to get entry level call center experience.

Cons

As I said above, the job itself is easy, but it is incredibly boring. There is no talking in the office so it isn't necessarily a "fun" environment. Though my teams was great, there isn't a family atmosphere. You are there to do your job and go home, that's it. You have daily quotas that you must meet: number of surveys completed, time spent dialing, and scoring on your calls, which can seem overwhelming, especially if no one answers the phone You could have 13 surveys completed one day and 3 completed the next, it can be very disheartening and you will always be told what you're doing wrong instead of what you're doing right. You will be forced to work Saturdays and do not expect to ever be put on a schedule where you will have that day off. And for the people lucky enough to get that day off, really by the grace of God it seems, they still have to come in on "mandatory Saturdays" which makes it very difficult if you have a family. Do not expect to get your sign on bonus, I was there for a while and no one could ever seem to tell me when I would get it or what check it would be on. The management at the call center is questionable and Sr Staff seem incredibly set in their ways. Not only that, but they are mostly very rude if you are just a telephone interviewer. There is little to no room for advancement, unless you know the right people, and there is an abundance of favoritism. Do not expect to have your schedule changed, at least not until you have worked there for a while. Also, do not get attached to your training class or even the people on your team, the turn over rate is incredibly high and that is why there are so many open positions. You will be treated like a number, not a person, and they will not work with you because you are expendable to them.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like people instead of numbers. No one wants to live at work, but this job would be so much easier to bare if we felt like you actually cared about us and not just the money we make you.

4. "Horrible Work environment"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in White Settlement, TX
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in White Settlement, TX

Pros

Prizes for exceeding goals, gave away a $500 Chris Brown concert package for working extra hours

Cons

Management only focus is on what is done incorrectly. No praise, inadequate training, cliques, unprofessional lead supervisors

Advice to Management

Firm fair and consistent leadership is needed here. Stop unfair treatment and your turnover will drastically reduce.

5. "DSS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DSS Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Location, casual dress, good benefits. Annual Christmas party. This place can be a rewarding place to work as long as you stick with the "in" crowd and don't rub certain directors the wrong way by being honest. Tell them what they want to hear.

Cons

Poor Communication, long hours expected, lack of support from management, if you get it right Manager takes credit. If you mess up, you get thrown under the bus. No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over. Sr Staff has gotten way to comfortable in their ways.

6. "Interviewer"

Former Employee - Interview Specialist in White Settlement, TX
    Former Employee - Interview Specialist in White Settlement, TX

I worked at DSS Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

only a few hours a day

Cons

lack of adequate training. management lacks real direction.

Advice to Management

train your managers to be managers. none are qualified.

"Easy money, BUT extremely boring"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at DSS Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-$10.50 an hour
    -Paid weekly
    -Lucky if you get someone fun to sit next to you
    -Breaks about every hour and a half

Cons

-EXTREMELY boring (You do the exact same thing, every single day, at the exact same time)
    If you like to challenge yourself and multitask and stay extremely busy, this is NOT the job for you.
    -Terrible hours (3pm to 11pm) BYE BYE Life!!!
    -KEEP DIALING

Advice to Management

None really... The job overall is just a boring job, but I guess it has to get done.

"Interviewer"

I have been working at DSS Research part-time

Pros

Schedule works for me. Pay decent for no exp required. Paid weekly

Cons

Atmosphere sad. Supervisors unfriendly. Treated like obedient children. You are always wrong. Never positive feedback. Terminate is fav word for ANY lil thing. Just criticism not constructive

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people. Boost morale. Get more involved supervisors not unfriendly sad individuals who do not know how to correct mistakes positively. Tell us what we did right, not how terrible we are.

"High rate of turn-over"

Pros

Casual work environment. Competitive pay. Most employees are easy to work for/with.

Cons

Management makes no effort to support employees. There are a few "old timers" that will get you fired for their mistakes.

Advice to Management

Consider supporting your employees rather than throwing them under the bus.

"It's decent for the pay"

I have been working at DSS Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Set schedule. 10.50 starting. Casual work environment. Friendly coworkers. Plenty of paid overtime opportunity throughout the year. Paid holidays after 90 days. Little experience required. Easy. Productivity/quality feedback given regularly. It's a good job for the money, better than retail or food service. And better pay too.

Cons

It can be very boring dialing all day, and speaking with people that at tines can be downright rude. Certain times of year work runs out and the hours get shorter, but it never lasts more than a couple of weeks. People often get written up for unclear reasons, and the discipline system is inconsistant. New hires are not being trained very well and the woman that does the training is spacey and is not very good at getting her point across. She spends too much time on things that wont really matter once they get on the floor, and skips over important things they should be learning. The managment isnt very good at recognizing good managerial talent, and tends ro pick favorites. The manager chooses people he think will be easiet to control. The call center manager is good at what he does, but it goes about it in the wrong way. He curses at everyone, and he plays obvious favorites. He fires people for something one day, and let's people slide the next. He took away the supervisor's chairs for 1 or 2 weeks one time because he felt like they weren't doing enough. He blames the night shift for everything and says that they suck, but night shift is far heavier staffed than day shift and the night supervisors really do a good job. He doesn't believe in praising his employees because "if you say good job too much it loses it's meaning" (something he actually said). He could be just as successful as he is now if he went about it as a Leader instead of a maniacal tyrant. He's not too bad once you talk to him and get to know him. Really, it's a good job for the money and if you do what you're told how you're told to do it, it beats fast food or retail 100%.

Advice to Management

I'd give some advice, but they wouldn't take it. If they would, I would say try being a leader instead of a dictator