DST Systems Unit Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stephen Hooley

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management SEEMS to care about employees but actually not (in 19 reviews)

• Senior Management is where they are due to tenure not experience and skill (in 18 reviews)

"Sr Client Services Liasion"

Former Employee - Senior CLIENT SERVICE Liaison, UNIT MANAGER, Senior PROJECT COORDINATOR in Kansas City, MO

I worked at DST Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company if you're coming in at entry level.

Cons

Since top management has changed, everything changes like a revolving door. Change is good, but not when it is happening without a basis or being thought all the way through. The foundation of what once was an amazing corporation that I was proud to work for, I left on my own terms because my worth was not being valued nor was I able to expand my career.

"Under Paid"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at DST Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits; Good people. Unless you get laid off it is hard to get fired. They have a six strikes and you're out policy.

Cons

Mass layoffs; Those who work hard to get ahead are the first to get cut because they make too much. Salary is not competitive for non IT positions.

"Company headed for failure"

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at DST Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Current changes remains to be seen. Great culture and atmosphere. Promotions can come quickly if the business need is there and you've rubbed shoulders with the correct clique of managers.

Cons

Senior level management consistently seems out of touch on what is actually going on in the operational side of the business. The salaries aren't competitive for the industry. New vacation policy forces work on days the NYSE is closed which leads to little to no work (isn't industry standard). Outsources a considerable amount of operational work

Advice to Management

Quit paying obscene amounts for new software and then wasting time by forcing training on it. Some are obsolete with our systems which should have been vetted before purchase. Enlighten is such a waste of money because it only tells management what the good managers already know. Also, the work projections (which senior level management uses to determine how much staff is needed for each area) haven't been close for a quarter yet. Managers are putting what they know the projections will be, which makes the software value next to nothing. Instead of finding a crutch for the bad managers, let them go. Countless mid level managers can be see shopping online for the most of the day. Instead of paying for all these useless softwares and poor quality managers, spend the money on your hourly associates who are severely underpaid which leads to bad associates and lack of retention of the good ones. Quality suffers which leads to angry clients. Quit renovating the buildings to look fancy to clients and spend it on the human capital. Off Shore is half the issue with the quality from the client's perspective and yet more work keeps getting moved there. There's a reason why every engagement survey has less than 20% faith that senior level management will do anything in response to the poll results. Half of these companies problems are solved if they got rid of complacent management. Lack of promotions, compensation, quality, and customer satisfaction all improve if we stopped buying big brother software to help the bad managers and then allowing those bad managers to flounder in the company. Finally, stop claiming to be transparent then announce changes to make us closer to industry standard when many changes aren't.

"DST should be an acronym that means "Don't Stay There"!"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at DST Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers were good for the most part. I enjoyed my employees and they were a family to me. Health insurance was decent if you were single but very expensive for families.

Cons

If you or someone you know is looking at joining the DST Full Service division, run for you life!! The pay is well below market (I know because I was in management and worked for a competitor before my position was outsourced to DST.) Quality of work life is VERY LOW. They insist on running a very lean staff (non-management), which makes good since on paper but at the same time they make over time mandatory. Anyone whom is unable to stay and work overtime, is eventually fired. Missouri is a "Hire at Will / Fire at Will" state and DST takes full advantage of this law. Their Senior Management and Officers are the epitome of "The Boys Club" and could care less about their employee's work life balance and quality of work life.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings! The Quality of Work Life is the worst in the industry. It is your responsibility to make it better. Make DST a place where people LOVE to work and you'll attract and retain a higher caliber of employees. Ever heard of Google? Wake up!

"DST is Trying (??)"

Current Employee - Unit Manager
    Current Employee - Unit Manager

I have been working at DST Systems (More than 10 years)

Pros

401k match, community/charity involvement (Catalyst), development opportunities, ability to work from home, flexible work schedule, management development training and coaching. Multiple employee communities (LGBT, Young Professional, Professional Women, Veterans).

Cons

Extremely top heavy-you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a VP. That VP will most likely be male and white.
    Tenured associates are viewed as irrelevant and are repeatedly accused of being change resistant- even those who have decades of high performance. Newly developed roles and mgt positions seem to be sourced outside the organization.
    While employees are asked to do more and more with less support and resources- compensation remains stagnant.

Advice to Management

Please walk your talk. And ,you know, maybe develop and promote more women and brown people into senior leadership.
    Stop enforcing performance rating bell curves, it's hurting morale and in no conceivable way leads to a high performance organization. Your employees are more than numbers.
    Hold folks accountable (especially your managers) and support your high performers. Recognize the value of your tenured associates.