DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger Rawlins

Pros
Cons
  • Management makes urging customers to sign up for the rewards program a drag (in 112 reviews)

• We are all pushed to get people to sign up even if they don't want to (in 37 reviews)

1. "Good Company Culture"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Centennial, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good company culture. Employees are valued and well trained. Very positive work environment.

Cons

Can be labor intensive depending on shift.

2. "Great Company, Great Benefits"

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount! This is the number one perk of the job. The pay is also higher than average retailers. They also offer 401k match to all employees (part-time or full-time) after a certain period of time working for them. They have health insurance options for both part-time and full-time. It is an easy job, if you enjoy customer service and retail. They allow room for growth within the company. Great open door policy and they really care about their workers.

Cons

Can get stressful during peak (holidays). Also, can be stressful when short-handed. Store management is understaffed almost consistently so that can be a huge downfall on the entire team (especially if you work in a high-volume store). So many things have changed and the company seems to be going downhill from when I first started. I hope this is not the case.

Advice to Management

Hire good, competent, strong managers. Some managers do not know how to handle the workload or appear as if they have no idea how to do their job.

"Work here on your own risk"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fairly easy when it's slow, but when it's the weekend and they don't have enough staff working it's not fun anymore.

Cons

Rewards program out of control now, with having to write down every single time I get a "No" and explaining why. They are really petty about the smallest issues, and will call you out on any little mistake you are doing. Never take time to tell what you're doing right, but what you're doing wrong. The management is pretty disorganized too, and I feel more like an object than part of a team to them. They seem to always have issues with scheduling too.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and get your shite together!

"Good first job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working there isn't bad, co-works that are hired are very friendly. Every can have a laugh and keep working. Since it's a fast paced environment most of the time, its a great first job for those needing experience. You learn a lot with dealing with customers and from retail in general. Managment can be very understanding(to an extent). You learn to do things more effectively and there is room for better career opportunities in DSW.

Cons

A huge downfall for me is that you NEED to get reward sign ups while at the register. In the interview process, they say its not really a big deal but it is. It's not necessarily the manager's fault but you need to keep up with the other DSW's in the region. It can be stressful because not getting enough sign ups will put you at risk for termination if it keeps up.
    I've also noticed that the managers don't really take into consideration you school schedule, it's like whatever free time you have, you gotta be at work. And forget leaving on time, you leave when you finish your task, that wouldn't be a problem but they will assign you a task that takes 45 minutes to an hour when you leave in 30. Or put you on break when your suppose to be leaving. Make sure you are being vocal about when you're suppose to leave and when you have to go on a break, I made that mistake because I was nervous that I only just got the job, don't be like me, know your worth.
    Also keep in mind that you clean and mop bathroom, stock room, breakrooom, cash register in case it grosses you out completely.

Advice to Management

-Try to do the training earlier than the first day and don't expect everyone to know how to do everything once they've just started working.

-During the interview, make it clear that sign ups are a very important part of the job.

-Be more consistent with hours, working different days and times each week is annoying when we have other things to do, especially for part-time employees, we chose part-time for a reason.

6. "Planner"

Current Employee - Planner in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Planner in Columbus, OH

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

some great people
    nice discount on shoes
    nice office space

Cons

Intense, fast paced; long hours; limited ability for promotions

Advice to Management

anonymous 360 reviews; Leadership needs to undertand the time involved to keep up with the pace

7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Sales
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Sales

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with people and Helping people find what they are looking for. My background is Pharma sales and I went to this when I became a stay at home Mom.

Cons

The time after the store has closed to still be there...

"Good but not Great"

I have been working at DSW full-time

Pros

Relatively easy workload, no matter the position within the store.
    Appreciative associate discount, which can be used on top of Clearance.
    Ability to be oneself, especially in dress code.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations concerning Rewards program.
    Lack of true leadership in stores. Company focuses on hiring managers, not leaders.
    Inconsistency with customer facing policies.

Advice to Management

Take a deep look in the Rewards program and the impact Associate purchases have on the metric. When associates feel pressured to either not utilize their discount or fudge Rewards numbers, there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed and fixed within the computer systems. It creates unnecessary pressure behind the scenes when associates already have to deal with customer attitudes towards the Rewards program.

Train and mentor your field "leaders" on dealing with ambiguity, not just with customers but, with associates. Most managers I have encountered in stores are now "checklist oriented" and lack the creativity to handle situations that do not fit trainable molds. We used to say "manage in the grey." Go back to training and helping your "leaders" understand what that means. Empower them!

9. "Awesome Job!!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is definitely my FPW. The family environment is only to be matched by the upbeat and positive outlook the managerial staff has.

Cons

The hours are not consistent, often understaffed, especially at cashwrap

10. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - DSW Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - DSW Part-Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast-Paced Environment.
    Great Customer Interactions.
    Awesome Staff Communication.

Cons

Long Work Hours.
    Stressful Holiday Shoppers.

11. "Great company"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at DSW as an intern

Pros

Community atmosphere. Philanthropic opportunities. Great initiatives behind the company mission.

Cons

Location. Large amount of internal position movement.

Showing 715 of 1,395 reviews