DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger Rawlins

1,431 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Management makes urging customers to sign up for the rewards program a drag (in 116 reviews)

• We are all pushed to get people to sign up even if they don't want to (in 39 reviews)

1. "Retail store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bethesda, MD

Pros

You get to interact with with different people everyday with different culture background.

Cons

lack of hours and cashiers at times

Advice to Management

great leadership

2. "A great company to work for."

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandising Manager in Denton, TX

Pros

DSW cares about it's employees and customers. It really is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Very focused on personal development.

Cons

Same cons you would deal with in any other job, learning to understand other personalities.

3. "Experiences may vary by store."

Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Operations Manager

Pros

Promotion from within. Promotes diversity.

Cons

Allocation of payroll puts strain on management. reward memberships is important for obtaining repeat customers; people can politely decline.

Advice to Management

Thank you for training hours outside of Q1 and Q3.

"Great place to work at!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dublin, CA

Pros

Great staff!
    Great prices!
    Great employee discount!
    Everyone gets along great, NO DRAMA!
    Pretty good communication with coworkers about issues.
    Love interacting with customers!
    Learned a ton about shoes since I've worked here.
    Love my managers 95% of the time.
    Finally got new music with lyrics!!!
    Always has cute shoes in a somewhat reasonable price range.
    Store is organized.

Cons

They push rewards way too much. My manager was upset because the first person I rang for the day said no. She happened to not live anywhere near a DSW and didn't shop often. Her sister, who I also rang, had the same situation. I'm not going to push rewards on people when they clearly do not want it. I was kicked off register when there was a huge line and had to leave one employee at the register to handle the long line on her own because the other employees were on break.

They lately have switched up the schedules to the point where I have no social life. I'm a busy full time college student, my schedule is packed tight. Don't ask to have one weekend day off a week because they will cut your hours. We're left switching hours with each other.

When the manager is in a bad mood, as sweet as they can be, it's taken out on everyone and turns a great day into a bad one.

I'm pretty much always on the floor. The same people stay in the same spots. It would be nice to have a rotation where one day do register, next day a different section. It gets boring doing the same thing when I go to work. That's how we stop customer servicing because we sound like robots! we annoy ourselves with it and sense the customer getting annoyed and we don't perform as well.

Advice to Management

Stop pushing rewards so much!! If customers don't want it, it's their loss!
    Great job with keeping a friendly environment to work in, I'm always laughing with my coworkers.

"amazing"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Passion, Friendly,Helpful and Real Enviroment .

Cons

Not enough hours for part time sales associates

Advice to Management

Always room to move up in the company

"My experience with DSW is fabulous!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at DSW are: being exposed to many types of fashion trends, learning about different types of shoes and helping people love what they wear.

Cons

Some of the downsides are: dealing with impatient customers, cleaning and organizing the sales floor in a timely manner and consistency.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to monitor the performance of every associate every week, communicate effectively to both new and old hirers on what needs to be done and how to do it ,and keep only the people who are focused and passionate on the team.

"A great store"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newnan, GA

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to start out if you haven't had a job. Teaches you good time management. The staff quickly becomes almost like family, a lot of teamwork is involved. Pay is decent, with chances for a raise and promotions.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are slim, however if you prove you are a hardworker you are more likely to be scheduled more often, in my experience.

"Group Interview"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

overall fun questions with a group of 10 people (including myself)

Cons

You really have to out shine everyone. Once you hear other peoples answer you can modify what you want to say.

Advice to Management

come prepared with some question. such as Why do you want to work here ? If you were a shoe what would you be and why ? explain some type of experience you had with dealing with an angry customer ? have you ever had a disagreement with your boss/ supervisor and how did you handle it?

10. "Love my Fellow Shoe Lovers!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at DSW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is so many reasons why I love working at DSW, the people, the product, the challenge, the customers, Everything! But, if I had to whittle it down to one thing, it has to be that I matter. They listen to me, they ask me my thoughts on issues, I am included in corporate initiatives, I am challenged and developed, they support me and charities that I volunteer with, and they allow me to be a business owner. It wasn't always the case, when I first started working at DSW it was very task focused, policy focused, and they have grown with time to become what I feel is one the greatest companies to work for!

Cons

At DSW, they know their faults, they acknowledge them, come up with solutions, and tackle them. For many of us managers we are activators, and we want something now, and are very impatient, but with patience come tested and tried policies, processes, and IT. It is when we rush through something, that is when we have issues; whether it is the scheduling tool, a computer program, or anything else. But they are always quick to rectify it.

Advice to Management

Continue on our Journey! We are making great strides, and it keeps getting better!

11. "Passionate, friendly, helpful and real"

Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Merchandise Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GREAT PAY, 30% ,discount on clearance and regular price items. Great designer product at warehouse prices. Great staff, lenient dresscode. Biweekly pay. Lots of hours. Very good company.. Stressfree and debtfree company. Theres stability and growth with DSW. T

Cons

Hassling customers to sign up for DSW rewards and CONSTANT CHANGE...but thats with every retail store. You can merchandise product today tomorrow you'll come in and have to change the whole run, purse wall etc. if u can adapt to quick changes u will do fine. Sometimes u have long nites of recovery.

Advice to Management

Listen to your workers. There n the field more than u guys. Remember once apart a time you were a sales associate

Showing 1,431 of 1,443 reviews