DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Roger Rawlins

1,412 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Management makes urging customers to sign up for the rewards program a drag (in 112 reviews)

• We are all pushed to get people to sign up even if they don't want to (in 38 reviews)

1. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, challenging environment, good associate education

Cons

Lack of consistency in discipline, capacity issues, lack of opportunity for advancement or knowledge of how to do so

Advice to Management

When asked how to proceed along a career path do not respond with "I don't know, the same as you're doing". Specific feedback for that particular employee is necessary, or it feels like there is no investment in their future. Give Store Managers a course or resources to provide their direct reports to further their career, so at least there is something. Also, ensure that there is consistency regarding discipline in stores. Too often I noticed employees that were due for an attendance write-up, then when I went to actually complete it their points had been waived to protect them from a final warning or termination. Other employees were not given the same amount of leeway.

Also, when visiting stores, would have liked to see upper management interact with someone besides the Store Manager. I never had a one-on-one conversation with my District Manager, in the entire time she was effective. Same for a few visitors from corporate office, they were in the stores and provided feedback on ASM performance, but never directly, only through Store Manager. Hard to make a connection and network when you are never allowed the chance to speak to anyone above store level.

Other challenges are just retail usuals, capacity can be especially challenging with these stores especially in peak season, and directive gets bogged down and confusing sometimes. Was often not clear whether backstock should be prioritized to make space for new styles or if it was unacceptable to have period. Decision flowchart for space making was never used in my location, just depended on manager's whim or perhaps direction from DM? It was rarely clear.

This company has a lot to offer if these items are addressed. They offer good work/life balance, they really do live their values, and they invest in their employees (at least to the point your direct supervisor knows how). Benefits and compensation are excellent for the market as well.

2. "Sales Associate"

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

Good environment and team work

Cons

Poor management and lack of proper training

3. "It's Not Great, But Not Awful Either"

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

This company is very good for getting your foot in the door if you've never worked retail before. Flexible schedules that can work around school and great if you have another job because most shifts are pretty short. Friendly people and mostly knowledgeable management. 30% employee discount and pretty relaxed dress code (you'll have to wear an apron but you can have almost whatever on underneath it)

Cons

Having to push for people to sign up for rewards to the point of insanity and getting yelled at if people tell you no, and having to go over the "rewards script" over and over. Managers "sign off" by your name if you remember it like you're still taking quizzes in high school. Not being able to tell people that the store is closed when it is in fact, closed, so you'll have to wait around for them to be done and then rush to finish your nightly duties but will still probably leave close to 10:30 (the store closes at 9!). Billion dollar company can't hire any janitors. Coverage is always abysmal; you'll often work almost an entire afternoon with just you and a manager. Outdated technology that takes forever.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much importance on people signing up for the rewards. If they don't want it, they don't want it. It's not the employees fault. Buy a PA system!

5. "Retail Associate"

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

Discount on shoes, that is about it.

Cons

Boring, long shifts. Had to go around and pick up small pieces of paper off the ground for hours.

6. "Great team to work with, but not alot of hours."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is amazing! They will help you if you ask how to do things and can teach you how to correctly work the store. Also, your fellow co-workers will help you out if they've been there for a long time.

Cons

You don't get hours and at times your hours will get slashed! I love working here and enjoy helping people find shoes (and even get shoes myself), but this is only a good job if you're currently a student needing money on the side. Full-time employees get all the benefits while part-timers won't! Also, you usually clock out later rather on time due to the amount of work that needs to be done during your shift.

Advice to Management

Management already knows the majority of the problems and are doing their utmost best to fix the situation.

7. "Review of DSW"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount is decent, pretty easy job, low stress

Cons

low stress job means low pay. they also don't promote from within, they hire from outside

8. "Not as good as I thought"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Middletown, NY

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is willing to work with you on scheduling since you have to work two jobs to survive if you work there. Dress code isn't to bad. I enjoy wearing sneakers to work. Discount is okay but they are taking the discount away from clearance this coming month.

Cons

Employees at my location are Cady and down right rude. Managers are not willing to help you with questions at the register and most of the time do not ring themselves. They can cop a attitude with you when you ask for something. The registers are poorly outdated and always have problems with them. The pushing for information for rewards is unbelievable. If they don't want to join they don't want to. Being coached on rewards program is ridiculous. No full-time positions available and shifts are usually 4-6 hours. I don't see myself working there to much longer the pay is awful

Advice to Management

Be more sympathetic and understanding to your employees. There is no need to be rude to them. Half the time you can forget things because you aren't scheduled full weeks.

9. "America's favorite place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a young adult these place was able to hire me at age 16, this is the only store that would do this. I searched high and low and nobody besides them would take me until I was 18, which is wrong because these stores aren't supposed to discriminate against age. But i've stayed with them for a long time and now as i'm in college they are very willing to work with my schedule and make sure I get hours when I'm home on breaks. All my managers and employees are very nice and fun to work with. The environment makes it very easy to work in and helps the time go by quicker. The scheduling app these use is so easy to work and it makes it very easy to switch shifts with other employees and put in time off.

Cons

There isn't very many bad things about this corporation. The only thing I would say is the raises are only once a year, and they are usually very small. Working there for a couple years and being one of the best workers you would think that I would get a raise quicker than once a year. The other thing I don't like, which might only be at depending on the manager, but when i do come home for breaks I would like some longer shifts. But normally sales associates only get about 4-6 hour shifts at a time even though i'm willing to work an 8 hour day.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to when employees want more hours, and are willing to work longer shifts.

10. "Asst. Manager"

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

Great company, great discount, good pay

Cons

You may need a bigger closet!

"Only work here if you love shoes and forcing people to join rewards programs"

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get a good discount on shoes (but you'll end up spending a lot of your paycheck on them)
    -the website they use makes it super easy to change your availability
    -you get to help people find shoes and they are really really grateful for it
    -mostly flexible dress code (if the managers like you)
    -you are always supposed to ask for help if you need it so there's a lot of teamwork that happens.
    -you're allowed to wear comfortable shoes while working now and you get to spend all day looking at shoes.

Cons

-THE REWARDS PROGRAM. Seriously, I can't stress this crazy obsession enough. There is a computer application that literally tracks how many "nos" you receive and managers CONSTANTLY talk about how you need to sign up everyone and not get a no. Like, they tell you what to say to trick the customers into signing up. I feel awful whenever a customer says they don't want rewards because some people just don't want to give their information away and they don't realize we're being scolded for every no. They actually schedule hours based on your rewards performance and my manager has flat out said that if you're getting too many nos you'll loose a lot of hours.
    -There's a lot of favoritism (especially because of rewards performance)
    -if you're zoned on the floor it can be very boring and long. Once you greet all of the customers and pick up after them, there's not much to do.
    -you don't really get training on the shoes you're selling, so often it's hard to actually give customers advice.

Advice to Management

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix the way you handle the rewards program. It's ridiculous and takes away from the customer's experience.

Showing 1,412 of 1,423 reviews