DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

1,465 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,465 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Management makes urging customers to sign up for the rewards program a drag (in 118 reviews)

• The managers are always on your back about getting people to sign up for the rewards program (in 40 reviews)

"Poor Management, Typical Retail"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fellow associates are nice, great employee discount (though they've started making changes to it)

Cons

Poor management team that doesn't communicate with each other; they also tend to throw associates under the bus both with customers and with higher ups. Lots of late nights with no overtime, and the customers are especially messy and treat the employees like crap.

Advice to Management

Actually talk to each other, recognize that your employees are people too and are trying their hardest.

2. "Great Company (Tons of Potential)"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DSW is a fun company to work for. If you have ambition to do more, they will provide coaching and support to assist you with your development. The insurance benefits and discount were nice. Plus, it's retail so the flexible schedule was a perk. DSW cares about their employees and they take their open door policy seriously. Upper management really cares about what issues you're facing and will help you work through a solution.

Cons

DSW has opportunities with planning and allocation. Corporate would initiate changes and not give ample time to plan for success. And stores would be over 100% capacity and still be receiving large shipments.

Advice to Management

Plan out marketing moves and give three weeks notice to co-align with schedules, and don't overwhelm stores with freight. Shoes can't sell in the stockroom and backstock on a large scale is very hard to manage.

3. "Sales Associate of two years"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling
    Friendly staff

Cons

Salary
    New hire training
    Overall working environment

Advice to Management

Have better communication
    More efficient management methods

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The managers are great and always have an open door policy. Sales associates are given freedom and not micromanaged.

Cons

Corporate does not look in on their stores very well. We were 110% capacity and they still kept sending products.

6. "Working for DSW"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job for people who only want to work very part-time. On average you only work 12 hours a week. I worked here during high school and college.

Cons

They do not promote from within the company usually. So associates do not get promoted to managers. You have to sign people up for a reward system and the managers put pressure on you to do it, luckily it is not a credit card so more people are willing to sign up.

7. "Friendly and a easy job for anyone looking to get experience in a retail setting."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on shoes and apparel. Laid back atmosphere with lots to keep you busy during your shift. 2 breaks, friendly people friendly customers

Cons

They have you working unstable hours, forced to meet sales or you will be penalized, constantly checking to see if your doing your job. Management can be a little too critical of your skills, sometimes your left alone with no direction in what to do

Advice to Management

Na

8. "Bad upper management and no productivity!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Share the shoe lover interaction with customers. Great employees and work life balance. Pay is negotiable base on experience. They offer plenty of hours, base on location.

Cons

My manager has no engagement skills at all. Meaning, she does not shadow her employees and see what capability her employees have. My manager, who works at MOA, cares too much about her own image. She got into an argument with me and made it personal. Which, in a management position, personal issue is to be left alone. My manager got offended at the fact that I compared her to the assistant manager, because they saw the good things that I did for the team, but she didn't. Anyways, this place is too concentrated on a HIERARCHY platform. There's little to no communication. Too much assistant manager and this causes competitions among them. I feel that this root of DSW, treats their employees with little consideration towards allowing them to engage with each other and towards moral respect. Cashiers can't even have a bottle of water at the cash drawers. Cashiers are to stay put at registers, sales floor workers are to float only within their zone. On a slow day, there's nothing to do for how many hours you work there for. All you do is organize shelf and greet customers who does not want help. This company needs to allow better productivity for employees and understand that not all employees are comfortable with saying "I'm here for you," because some customers hate it and feels offended by it. So, allow employees to say what's necessary to get by. Have a better work structure and flexibility within the communication. VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Advice to Management

Create better employee engagement with managers.
    Allow freedom of having beverages within register areas. This is not a kids job!
    Having less assistant managers can create better work flow.
    Perhaps pay more for more demands.
    Hire managers with actual knowledge of management, not with just experience.
    Allow men to wear flip flop, because women's can.
    Be more productive with the job in general, because this is the 21st century.
    Value your employees and give them something better than just a thank you note.

9. "Depends on the location"

Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Dublin, OH

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At my original location, (Woodland Hills, CA) I worked with a wonderful team of upbeat, positive people who all worked well together to accomplish the goals set within the company. Plus the 30% employee discount was a great plus!

Cons

My second location had bad management who did not care about the employees, and would over work everyone with little to no recognition. Information from corporate could often be incorrect and some of the things they wanted us to do were a waste of time or our store was not set up to accommodate the changes they wanted done.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the moral of your employees... There's a reason you have high turnover

10. "Good Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at DSW (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSW, back when I was hired, made sure its employees were well trained and provided them the tools needed to do their job. The rewards program is easy to get people signed up for because it's free and they offer actual benefits that people want. The associate discount is also a nice 30%.

Cons

Recently, our particular state has been struggling with holding on to employees and as a result, new hires are rushed through training before being thrown into the thick of thing. Upper management and store management seem cliquey with their almost all female staff. I was never approached about two separate promotions that I had expressed interest in and was told would be a good fit for me. The 30% discount also no longer applies to clearance which was a huge benefit before.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training new hires before putting them to work. Communicate better with employees who express a desire to move up about open positions.

11. "Operations Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tyler, TX

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company program is actually an incredible idea in theory.

Cons

Poor leadership at the Senior level.

Advice to Management

I know it is the fashion industry, but the superficial judgement is too much.

Showing 1,465 of 1,477 reviews