DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,635 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The rewards program: I absolutely hated being pressured to harass customers about the rewards program (in 130 reviews)

• Upper management and store management seem cliquey with their almost all female staff (in 66 reviews)

1. "Great"

Pros

Good discount , Coworkers are, Great management

Cons

The rewards program they have set in place

2. "Decent"

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

Amazing discount! I liked working here overall

Cons

Management all over you, riding you to get rewards sign ups

"Good first job but I'm glad I don't work there anymore"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time

Pros

- Great coworkers: My coworkers made coming to work fun and I even kept in touch with some after I quit the job. My managers were also nice people that I enjoyed working with and treated me with respect. Overall, the people at DSW made my experience a 4 star one. Had I not had such great coworkers, I would've rated lower.

- The shoes: Working here you get a first look at new merchandise. I liked the products they sold and it was fun to browse at work.

- Nice customers: Most customers were friendly and I enjoyed helping them find shoes. I had a few call the store to give me compliments, which made my day.

- Good discount: The 30% off was great. I made sure to stock up on shoes while I worked here.

- Flexible: Management respected my requests to have a few days off and didn't give me a hard time. You don't work many hours each week, so I had a lot of free time.

- Easy (but stressful) work: Nothing you have to do is at this job is difficult, it can just becomes stressful for the reasons listed below.

Cons

- The rewards program: I absolutely hated being pressured to harass customers about the rewards program. Even before I got on the register, managers made me go out onto the floor and ask customers if they were rewards members. If they weren't, I was told to sign them up on the floor, which was really awkward to do (and it never worked). After a while, I was pretty much stuck on the register all day and dreaded getting a customer that wasn't a rewards member. Managers review what percentage of transactions you have for that day that weren't rewards members, and if you get too high of a percentage there will be even more pressure to get sign ups. The pressure to get sign ups makes employees get customer information in sneaky ways to avoid nos and ends up with customers being signed up without their knowledge. I hated having to pester customers and repeatedly push the program, especially on the floor, because after a while customers would get annoyed with you. Lots of people just don't want to give their info out and employees shouldn't be forced to not accept no for an answer.

- Tablet transactions: Our store had some sort of quota about the number of transactions that had to be done on the tablet. The tablet was originally for ringing people up on the sales floor, so once in a while I had to walk around and ask customers if they wanted to check out. Another way to annoy the customer that sales associates are tasked with. Who's ready to check out when they're still walking around the store? Since no one was ready, we just had to switch between the traditional register and tablet when cashiering. This was really annoying and made things more difficult since the tablets are so slow. I had a customer yell at me that she hated the tablet.

- The pay: The pay was barely above minimum wage and we weren't given any sort of commission. It's definitely not enough to live on. You'll have to get another job to support yourself. I felt like I was underpaid for the amount of customer service and stress I dealt with. The next job I took after this paid twice as much and was much less stressful.

- The hours: Hours would sometimes randomly change last minute and you'd have to make time to come into work. I also rarely worked more than 15 hours each week, which makes paychecks small.

- Career advancement: I was only a seasonal employee, but it didn't seem like there was much opportunity to become anything more than a sales associate. Managers appear to be outside hires.

- Having to clean up clearance: Customers throw shoes all over the place and all clearance shoes have to be heel-to-toe before we leave for the night. This took hours and was tedious work.

- Being understaffed: I was stuck on register alone a few times and yelled at by customers who were in a hurry.

Advice to Management

Let up on the rewards program and tablet quota. The job itself was fun, but these two things made it way more stressful than necessary.

4. "OK at first but then there are no hours"

I worked at DSW full-time

Pros

Paid vacation for the managers.

Cons

They give the stores hardly any hours so it is mostly mgmt working. The workload can be overwhelming.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Germantown, MD

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job for associates. Great discount. Great atmosphere.

Cons

Management and work life balance. Too much work, not enough payroll to get the work load done.

Advice to Management

Lower volume stores are much better to work in. There’s more flexibility - when you move up to higher volume locations there isn’t enough payroll for the additional work that needs to be done. DSW is very operationally driven, they like things done a particular way and if it isn’t done per P and P, you’re done. Also when I was interviewing for them I was told how much they like work/life balance ... 40 hours a week, flexible with time off. That’s not the case. I was told by my DM that if I wanted to make payroll I had to use my salaried positions (including myself) to my advantage. I was told I HAD to work 50 plus hours a week. If I wasn’t guaranteed 40 hours to begin with I would not have had a problem but there seems to be a big disconnect with their recruiters and how the business is actually run.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    lots of incentive for employees

Cons

taking back very old shoes

7. "College Job"

Pros

30% off discount on everything

Cons

Not enough hours most weeks

"I’ve learned a lot and worked with great people along the way but expectations surpass compensation."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Doral, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Doral, FL

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, flexible schedules, non-stressful work. Most people hired are easy to get along with and are helpful with tasks.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, not one second of downtime, managers micro-managing and breathing down your neck, low hours, very high turnover rates. Raises are given in cent increments. Yes, CENTS.

Advice to Management

Combine efforts to send forth the same message instead of contradicting one another. Care more for your associates.

9. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive training, get to learn all aspects of the company, 30% off regular priced items, can become a rewards member

Cons

Disconnect between sales associates and upper management (corporate), managers seem to be secretive, not enough employees working, can’t handle workload with only 2 associates closing, short breaks, LP

10. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cutler Bay, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cutler Bay, FL

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The shoes came out super cheap

Cons

The managers are terrible . And the employees loved to talk bad about others

Showing 1,635 of 1,655 reviews