DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

1,498 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,498 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Having to push enrollment into our rewards program to customers (in 121 reviews)

• The managers are always on your back about getting people to sign up for the rewards program (in 41 reviews)

1. "Shoe Slaves"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can make your own schedule, the discount is pretty nice, and you can transfer to other DSW locations. And the pay is not bad.

Cons

Managers treat you like dogs. There is no respect whatsoever. They will keep you past your time and not care about other outside factors. Particularly the Friendship heights location. They literally chase employees away with their negative energy. There is not enough coverage at busy times and their plan to stop theft makes no sense. They expect you to be the store hero and do your task at the same time. I am very glad that I left.

Advice to Management

Don't drive your employees away by treating them like a slave while working.

2. "Good part-time"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Overland Park, KS

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees receive a 30% off discount however that no longer includes clearance. To compromise they added special sales just for the employees as well as the employees can now become rewards members. Pretty simple job overall, mainly just keep the store maintained and help the customers.

Cons

Some of the customers are definitely harder to work with but you'll find that anywhere. The DSW I was at would often schedule me 8-10 more hours than I wanted. There were also times where my schedule would be changed that day, and most times I would get no heads up. Systems also frequently never worked which was more than inconvenient.

3. "Alright."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wayne, NJ

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people
    Great environment
    Flexible hours
    Able to make great professional relationships
    Many positions open up in different stores
    Not a drag to go to work

Cons

Hard to move up the ladder and closing is sometimes a very hectic thing. Depending on your store you will need thick skin to deal with some customers.

4. "Okay summer job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

Pros

Competitive pay for a sales associate. This seems to be a company wide thing as I have worked in 3 locations and the hourly wage has always been well above minimum.

Cons

Shifts can be incredibly long and boring, constantly doing the same tasks over and over again.
    At the same time, getting or trading hours can be tough, even impossible

Advice to Management

Stop hounding associates about the Rewards sign ups, all we can do is ask if they want us to join and tell them the benefits, we can force people to sign up.

"Retail Associate"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

Not to many, can have flexible hours only.

Cons

Corporate keeps changing employee benefits(less perks), store policies/hours of operation (longer hours they are open), confusing marketing concepts they are outdated. They work is physically demanding from picking up trash and reloading show boxes constantly. Not much time to really do customer service or upsaling . Outdated POS SYSTEMS, no Wi Fi!! Doesn't pay enough to enjoy discount.

Advice to Management

Management needs to poll the employees for opinions, not store manager. Managers not interested in ideas or opinions to improve flow of work unless it comes from senior management.

6. "Fun.. for the first week"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers are some very interesting people and you really are a family at least with those you've been with the most.
    employee discount is pretty good except now you can't use it on clearance.

Cons

Very understaffed for months now and store manager gives everyone 30+ hours but no overtime pay/benefits.
    Ask for less hours and they will only give you more.
    If put to work on a day you can't they will tell you to figure it out yourself.
    So much obsession around signing up new members and management does not want to hear no's.
    Big turnover rate at least in my store.

Advice to Management

To my two favorite managers you guys are the reason i'm still there! To my other manager and SM you guys really need to pay attention to your employees and also take our side when it comes to angry customers. Also not getting someone to sign up for rewards isn't the end of the word.

7. "Meh. It's okay,"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to walk around and look and shoes and other pretty things for hours. That's always fun to do.
    There's a 30% Associate discount
    Chill about 55% of the time

Cons

The managers are always on your back about getting people to sign up for the rewards program. That's very annoying, especially when you're wearing a headset and they're yapping in your ear to get the numbers up for 5+ hours.

Being on your feet for hours is definitely something to get used to, so invest in insoles if you're not used to it.

Can get boring because it's not a fast-paced job. time goes by very slow, especially when you're just walking around the sales floor.

If you're not a very social/talkative person, being required to talk to people VERY often for hours can be exhausting

Advice to Management

stop being so crazy about the rewards. If people don't want to sign up, oh well. We can't force them or "refuse to take no for an answer"

8. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, Great discount, surrounded by great fashion, and most managers really listen.

Cons

Over worked and underpaid, often have slackers that aren't reprimanded, give customers a lot of power (can be good and bad)

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to associates reasonable request and don't over work already extremely hard workers. You'll burn them out and lose your best team players because although verbal praises are great it's not enough sometimes.

"Would not recommend."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at DSW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medical, dental, 401k, employee discount, pto, vacation. Flexible schedules for PT associates. Hard working employees that strive to grow within the company.

Cons

No payroll used for growth and development for the mgmt team. Because of limited payroll, employees often feel they are thrown to the wolves in their job and do not receive adequate training first. Store managers often schedule around their personal life instead of the needs of the business. Often they schedule long weekends off , holidays off, and hardly work Sunday's. DMs do not spend time with the staff to help in their development other than the Store Manager. There is a disconnect with the other stores in the district. No sense of teamwork and collaboration. The values and behaviors they, as a company, say they stand for are not exhibited the higher up the ladder you go in the organization.

Advice to Management

Spend the payroll to grow and develop your teams. It will result in less turnover and a positive work environment. DMs need to be more hands on in the stores and work with the team. SM schedules should be monitored to ensure a fair and balanced schedule.

10. "Typical retail job, but easier than most."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lakewood, CO

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is simple and easy and you get paid well for a job that sometimes you just end up walking around if everything is done. Everything is easy and fast to learn. You get a 30% off discount on everything that is full price.

Cons

We used to get 30% off of clearance items and now we can't. Sometimes the managers are confused as to what is going on with new promotions and store changes because they dont get clear direction. Some managers play favorites. The points you get for being late or having to miss work catch up to you fast because you arent given too much slack even though managers clock in before they put their stuff away (which isnt allowed) so they get the advantage of not being late or if youre really sick and have to leave youll still get penalised if they dont find a replasement even if you help the managers out constantly by staying longer to help or coming in early or even going out of your way by helping at other stores. They dont take into account the extra time you put into the company. Sometimes you'll get in trouble for doing something that the managers do which is unfair. When a manager clocked in without putting their stuff away first, i did the same and i was told to manage my time better so i can clock in on time next time yet they clearly didnt manage their time.

Advice to Management

I know its not a rule of the store managers but tardy and absence points should be done differently. More attention should be paid to the managers hired by making sure they are people persons. You cant have a good manager if the manager is not good with connecting with its employees. If employees dont work well because of a manager then you can see it impact the store performance negatively.

Showing 1,498 of 1,511 reviews