DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

1,384 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,384 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Management makes urging customers to sign up for the rewards program a drag (in 112 reviews)

• We are all pushed to get people to sign up even if they don't want to (in 37 reviews)

1. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, scholarship opportunities, room for advancement

Cons

Having to push enrollment into our rewards program to customers

"New Store"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very easy job. It isn't hard getting a customer to buy the shoes that they are already trying on. Working here is a great first job and you get to learn a ton of things. The other employees are very nice and get you with most things that may be going on in life.

Cons

I have a district manager who isn't in the store but once a month but still has way too much say on things. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining but they do not have much of a good feel for the store this way. It is honestly annoying. The store manager does not do a good job of informing the associates of their hours and also does not spread them out very well. I had one co worker who will get 12- 20 hours a week and another who would get 8. I'm never notified of schedule changes and the app does not work so well. Rather than move an employee up they would hire a new supervisor. They never even looked into the pool of current employees.

3. "DSW Shreveport"

I have been working at DSW part-time

Pros

Awesome Discount
    Fast paced
    Training is not hard at all

Cons

Unorganized scheduling
    Unexperienced managers
    Never consistent hours

5. "DSW Part Time Sales Associate"

Pros

The company does really well with giving all associates credit for doing well on the job as well as positive coaching to help them grow. They make sure all shifts are fairly structured so you're never really being caught off guard by tasks you may be asked to perform during your shift.

Cons

There have been a lot of new policy changes in the last few years to increase profits but it can make it difficult to please customers because they have gotten more ridged about what coupons they accept and leeway in regards to customer assistance. Sometimes it can create a lot of tension with high demand customers.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to advocate for associates more. Such as, associate purchases should not affect data capture for the rewards program or associates feel guilty for using their discounts when they like which is one of the very few benefits for part time associates.

6. "Good Part-Time, Move on Before Move Up"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company portrays an understanding for everyone's diverse needs through various training opportunities. Part time employees only benefit is a discount of 30%. Expectations are shared, so performance can be monitored appropriately.

Cons

Training is not followed up by assessment regularly enough to determine if employee is practicing the best skills. Many situations with customers are unique and require management help, so issues often have to be escalated before retail associate can satisfy guest. If one does not show flexibility with availability, hours will be limited. Shipment dates require awfully early morning shifts.

Advice to Management

Hire a training manager to keep tabs on new employee learning so store management can focus on store needs.

7. "It was okay for retail"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Skokie, IL

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the associates were great. Some managers were great and went above and beyond for Associate. But working with a lot of women can get real catty and messing, especially with the managers. And be sure to watch who you tell your business to, because some ppl are so messy.

Cons

Some of the managers were lazy, and expected associates to do some of their jobs like cleaning the bathroom......

Advice to Management

Learn to treat staff like ppl, and stop with the false promises like raises after your review.

8. "Sales Associtate"

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

easy retail job
    not commission based
    Only objective besides cleaning the store and working the cash register is getting customers to sign up for free rewards program at checkout

Cons

Some shifts can be long
    Store is large so can take awhile to clean up at the end of the night

9. "Love working here!"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at DSW (More than a year)

Pros

Super friendly environment, employees genuinely care about customers, super flexible with schedules

Cons

There is not really cons to working there. You just have to make your time there fun as you work l

"Sales Associate"

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

30% discount
    flexible schedule
    pay is better than other stores

Cons

Management turnaround is crazy, I've already out lasted all of my original management team and I've been with the company less than a year
    Scheduling can differ greatly, sometimes I get 5 hours a week and then other times 27
    They will hound you about rewards if you get too many no's
    They now require the closers to clean rather than doing the majority of cleaning in the morning, this makes closing a lot longer. I work in one of the larger stores and don't leave until two hours after the store has closed.

Advice to Management

Get more floor coverage per day. If you want everything looking perfect and shrink down you need more people on the sales floor.

11. "sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Phila, PA

Pros

Fun
    Easy to Learn
    Opportunity for Advancement

Cons

Low Pay
    Mostly weekend and night hours

Advice to Management

Increase starting salary to retain staff

Showing 1,384 of 1,396 reviews