DSW Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,522 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Having to push enrollment into our rewards program to customers (in 123 reviews)

• The managers are always on your back about getting people to sign up for the rewards program (in 41 reviews)

1. "Friendly and a easy job for anyone looking to get experience in a retail setting."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I worked at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on shoes and apparel. Laid back atmosphere with lots to keep you busy during your shift. 2 breaks, friendly people friendly customers

Cons

They have you working unstable hours, forced to meet sales or you will be penalized, constantly checking to see if your doing your job. Management can be a little too critical of your skills, sometimes your left alone with no direction in what to do

Advice to Management

Na

2. "Bad upper management and no productivity!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Share the shoe lover interaction with customers. Great employees and work life balance. Pay is negotiable base on experience. They offer plenty of hours, base on location.

Cons

My manager has no engagement skills at all. Meaning, she does not shadow her employees and see what capability her employees have. My manager, who works at MOA, cares too much about her own image. She got into an argument with me and made it personal. Which, in a management position, personal issue is to be left alone. My manager got offended at the fact that I compared her to the assistant manager, because they saw the good things that I did for the team, but she didn't. Anyways, this place is too concentrated on a HIERARCHY platform. There's little to no communication. Too much assistant manager and this causes competitions among them. I feel that this root of DSW, treats their employees with little consideration towards allowing them to engage with each other and towards moral respect. Cashiers can't even have a bottle of water at the cash drawers. Cashiers are to stay put at registers, sales floor workers are to float only within their zone. On a slow day, there's nothing to do for how many hours you work there for. All you do is organize shelf and greet customers who does not want help. This company needs to allow better productivity for employees and understand that not all employees are comfortable with saying "I'm here for you," because some customers hate it and feels offended by it. So, allow employees to say what's necessary to get by. Have a better work structure and flexibility within the communication. VALUE YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Advice to Management

Create better employee engagement with managers.
    Allow freedom of having beverages within register areas. This is not a kids job!
    Having less assistant managers can create better work flow.
    Perhaps pay more for more demands.
    Hire managers with actual knowledge of management, not with just experience.
    Allow men to wear flip flop, because women's can.
    Be more productive with the job in general, because this is the 21st century.
    Value your employees and give them something better than just a thank you note.

3. "Depends on the location"

Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Freight and Sales Associate in Dublin, OH

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At my original location, (Woodland Hills, CA) I worked with a wonderful team of upbeat, positive people who all worked well together to accomplish the goals set within the company. Plus the 30% employee discount was a great plus!

Cons

My second location had bad management who did not care about the employees, and would over work everyone with little to no recognition. Information from corporate could often be incorrect and some of the things they wanted us to do were a waste of time or our store was not set up to accommodate the changes they wanted done.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the moral of your employees... There's a reason you have high turnover

4. "Good Part-Time Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at DSW (More than 3 years)

Pros

DSW, back when I was hired, made sure its employees were well trained and provided them the tools needed to do their job. The rewards program is easy to get people signed up for because it's free and they offer actual benefits that people want. The associate discount is also a nice 30%.

Cons

Recently, our particular state has been struggling with holding on to employees and as a result, new hires are rushed through training before being thrown into the thick of thing. Upper management and store management seem cliquey with their almost all female staff. I was never approached about two separate promotions that I had expressed interest in and was told would be a good fit for me. The 30% discount also no longer applies to clearance which was a huge benefit before.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training new hires before putting them to work. Communicate better with employees who express a desire to move up about open positions.

""Americas favorite place to work""

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at DSW part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Employee discount is amazing
    -I had little to no experience in retail but it was fun, quick and easy to learn
    -You get a lot of team-work experience here
    -The schedule is done two weeks in advanced
    -401k

Cons

-Sometimes when we couldn't find the mismatching shoe in the clearance section, we stayed until 1AM when a closing is really supposed to end at 11PM.
    -There wasn't enough coverage
    -Constantly cutting hours
    -Store was really dirty until we had a visit

Advice to Management

It's not Americas favorite place to work

6. "Operations Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tyler, TX

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company program is actually an incredible idea in theory.

Cons

Poor leadership at the Senior level.

Advice to Management

I know it is the fashion industry, but the superficial judgement is too much.

7. "An okay place to work"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Utica, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Utica, NY

I worked at DSW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great focus on customer service and growth of employees.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations regarding time and resource management. Multitasking quickly became overwhelming due to inaccurate staffing and poor planning.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of what is actually going on in the stores and set goals that reflect reality, not unrealistic best-case-scenario.

8. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at DSW (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, Easy to work, Great Co-workers. Good location in Sf.

Cons

The upper management is crap. They don't care for the workers and there is a huge lack of respect. They also don't know how to properly communicate and they don't listen.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!!

9. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at DSW part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and considerate-ish managers

Cons

The pay is horrible/ Managers will hire you to do one thing, but then eventually expect you do other tasks in the store (i.e. hired as sales associate, but end up doing stock room work)./ The employee discount is laughable, you get a better discount by simply joining the rewards program/ Good employees are over worked

Advice to Management

Increase the pay and stop cross-training employees that do not want to be cross-trained.

10. "Great team to work with, but not alot of hours."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at DSW part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is amazing! They will help you if you ask how to do things and can teach you how to correctly work the store. Also, your fellow co-workers will help you out if they've been there for a long time.

Cons

You don't get hours and at times your hours will get slashed! I love working here and enjoy helping people find shoes (and even get shoes myself), but this is only a good job if you're currently a student needing money on the side. Full-time employees get all the benefits while part-timers won't! Also, you usually clock out later rather on time due to the amount of work that needs to be done during your shift.

Advice to Management

Management already knows the majority of the problems and are doing their utmost best to fix the situation.

Showing 1,522 of 1,535 reviews