DTS Reviews in Calabasas, CA | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DTS Chairman & CEO Jon E. Kirchner
Jon E. Kirchner

1. "Love working for DTS!"

Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with a great team. (Makes all the difference!)
    Flex schedule. Some departments allow a flexible start and end time.
    Occasionally permitted to work remotely from home. (Dependent on department manager)
    Great cross-team collaboration.
    Recent acquisition by Tessera is very promising!

Cons

Our competitors offer better benefits.

Advice to Management

In order to attract and retain top talent, get creative in finding new types of benefits for employees.

"Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very intersting company with a long history

Cons

To many latofff over the years.

3. "Good and bad"

Former Employee - Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and dynamic technology.

Cons

Upper management lacks long term vision and focused on short term finances.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Some of the worst management in the audio tech industry!"

Former Employee - Senior Audio Engineer in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Audio Engineer in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many great audio software engineers, with the passion, drive and expertise to build world-class algorithms.

Cons

The upper management is filled by cronies that have no understanding of the technology or technology potential. For this reason, great engineers with great ideas get stuck trying to defend their research and development, all while the rest of the industry moves forward and embraces potential.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs a complete overhaul, beginning with the CTO and all his cronies he's put in place to keep his job security, overly high salary and compensation package, and of course retirement topped off. The upper management in the technology department has little to no understanding of the tech DTS develops! Trust me... if they could reinvent DTS as a pencil manufacturer, or just outsource the audio tech Dev to China or India, they'd do it in a heartbeat to fill their pockets faster. The last thing they'd want to do is actually learn about 3D audio tech and have something useful to contribute!

"Not a good place for a temp."

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Calabasas, CA

Pros

Most of the people are very nice.

Cons

I was brought in as a consultant in the Busyness Systems Department to set up reporting workbooks on Excel for their clients to report royalty sales. The Excel is very sophisticated but that was not the problem. The problems were two: One, their business is very complicated and Two, they do not want to take the time to explain it. I was being "trained" in the process by a business analyst who continually apologized for not being able to have the time to spend with me showing me to show me the process. That was mostly because he was almost never there. He would get in at ten in the morning then take an hour lunch and afterwards leave at five or six. But during the time that he was there he would spend most of it shopping on the internet for motorcycle equipment or socializing. Because of that mostly I had to communicate with him by e-mail but he never answered my questions. Whenever he would talk to me it was just to threaten me that they were going to get someone else. I was there less than two months and finally they decided to get someone else. My opinion is that he was using me as a scapegoat for the work not being done. His work that is because he kept on telling everyone that he could not do his work due to the fact that he had to constantly help me. That was not true.

I would advise anyone being offered an opportunity to work as a Financial Analyst in that department to consider your options VERY carefully. It has been almost six months since I have left and just about every month I see that they are posting a new classified add for that position. What that means to me is that they keep on hiring people then getting rid of them.

I particularly resent it because I left a good job to go to work there. They painted the opportunity in wonderful colors. The reality was very different. Good luck to you if you ever go there. And please understand that I am only talking about that particular department.

Advice to Management

Quit being a revolving door for people and be more patient when training them. The business model may not seem very complicated to you because you have been there a long time. But to someone new it will be challenging. If you had done this from the beginning you would not still be looking for someone to fill that position and all of your other projects would be up to date.

Also stop blaming new people for your own failures. When I started to work there you were blaming my predecessor for many things which were not his fault. When I looked at his work it seemed to be well done. Especially since he was only an intern and still a college student.

"Still not ready to stand with their competition"

Former Employee - California in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - California in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart product team. DTS technology works very well. Very nice office.

Cons

Top heavy in Senior Management, some with very limited experience in the industry.
    Very political with limited communication within teams.
    Insufficient understanding of hardware partner's market needs and how it relates to DTS.
    DTS is consistently late to respond to their competition in the market. Always playing catch up. Stock's inability to grow is a good indicator.

8. "Great team and interview process!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office location, very friendly people, cool music vibe.

Cons

Ask me in 6 months.

Advice to Management

Free snack in the vending machines wouldn't hurt.

"Eh..."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company. Its better than McDonalds.

Cons

Cliquish. Not as bad as WalMart.

10. "High end tech company."

Former Employee - Product in Calabasas, CA
    Former Employee - Product in Calabasas, CA

I worked at DTS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative folks across all departments. Audio technology that "rocks". Great sound rooms for listening pleasure. Always have the latest Audio/Visual surround sound systems to test. Its great to be in the testing lab with high end Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, you name it, they have it.

Cons

Competitive market with the likes of Dolby. Always needing to re-invent to stay fresh in the audio space

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

11. "Many Global Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at DTS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an exciting work environment as we touch just about every consumer-facing device around the world. Success and performance is rewarded, recognized and communicated to the rest of the employees on a regular basis. I've watched a lot of people move to the top of the organization in just a few years--pretty cool to watch. Lastly, this is a company that any employee can walk into the CEO's office and a have a conversation.

Cons

In some positions there is worldwide travel requirements so depending on if you like that or not, be prepared. Technology moves fast and we need to keep up.

Advice to Management

We have a lot of employee monthly events at HQ but I think it would be great if we do more off-site events like Beach Day, a Dodger Game, volunteering for local community events as a team, etc..