DaVinci Financial and Insurance Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darren Sugiyama

Pros
  • CEO provided great motivational speeches during the board meetings (in 3 reviews)

• I am a seasoned vet, so i was familiar with the industry and very appealing (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much motivation after the several hundred phone calls so there is also that (in 3 reviews)

• 100% commission, but with time the sky is the limit (in 2 reviews)

"Opportunity Unlimited"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

Pros

DaVinci offered me the opportunity to spread my wing into a different sector. What appealed to me was the opportunity to grow with the company, and the CEO. I am a seasoned vet, so i was familiar with the industry and very appealing.

Cons

Not familiar with the products and services offered. Memorization of scripts.

"Not worth it."

Former Employee - Junior in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Junior in Irvine, CA

I worked at DaVinci Financial and Insurance Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think the only pro here is that you get have experience working on the phones and also understanding which life insurance carrier has the best products.

Cons

There's too many problems here to list. Darren, the CEO is convinced that the only reason somebody wouldn't work at DaVinci is because they have a lack of work ethic or are not committed enough, which I don't think is true at all. I've seen many hard working people go at it 8 hours a day working hard making cold calls on the phones and to leave because its not financially sustainable.

So I'm going to give my review based on my own personal experience. When I first came to DaVinci I was completely aware that there was a possible risk of not making any money at all because it is 100% commission, so I was completely prepared for that. My dissatisfaction with DaVinci has nothing to do with how much or little money I made. It has to do with the following.

At DaVinci Financial, when I first started what I wasn't aware about was that there was a strict hierarchy that you are supposed to follow as a new agent since one of the supposed "advantages" of working with DaVinci is that you are supposed to be "independent" agent.

I'm not sure in what sense of the word they are using the word independent because you have very little discretion in what you can do since you start off at the bottom of a predetermined hierarchy as a Junior. As a Junior, you are supposed to make phone calls following a script to book appointments so that your Senior who are more experienced than you can run the appointments and close cases.

Sounds good in theory but horrible in practice. Why? Because a 2nd or third party will never care about your cases as much as you will. Since each Senior will have several Juniors working under him, they will have plenty of appointments booked on their calendar whereas you will be struggling to have your appointments on the calendar because you're competing for appointment slots with other Juniors.

So if the Senior doesn't close your case, you're out of luck. They have other appointments on their calendar that other juniors booked so they're not that concerned. In fact, it actually says in the DaVinci Guide that the fate of a Junior is in the Senior's hands. Now does that sound like an "independent" agent to you?

As a Junior, for some reason, you feel looked down upon by the Seniors. If you ask basic questions that someone new to the industry would ask such as "How do you get paid?" or status updates about your case, you can feel they get annoyed. And the most common behavior that Seniors do is just stare at their computer screens and pretend you're not there even if you're next to them and it feels like they do this so you can just keep making calls and they don't have to talk to you. So in other words, it just feels like you are being used to make phone calls and for nothing else.

Also, the commission split isn't that great either. You are told from the beginning that the commission split is 25% DaVinci 75% agent. If you read the fine lines, the commission split is 25% DaVinci, 10% Regional Vice President, 35% Junior, 30% Senior. But most of the time (not always), the Senior and the Regional Vice President are the same person! So you're not getting the majority or even 50% of the commission, which makes it unsustainable unless you get a 2nd job or are financially supported by a third party.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people about DaVinci. It's not worth it and that's why many people even Seniors leave.

"Bait & Switch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at DaVinci Financial and Insurance Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pro's that i can list here.

Cons

Too many to list... Unless you like working for free, enjoy catching hell over the phone from cold calling people who aren't interested and enjoy not seeing a paycheck, this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Stop poaching people from posted resumes on CareerBuilder., How does someone who's a software engineer become a perfect fit for your financial company? Easy, because it's a scam.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in Irvine, CA

Pros

meet a lot of different people

Cons

It's all a smoke screen you don't make any money they show fancy cars and make promise that they don't it just cold calling

Advice to Management

Tell the people the truth it just cold calling and it take about four months to make any money

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

I've been working with the firm about 8 months now. One of the greatest things about the firm is the endless opportunity that you can achieve. The training's they provide are priceless. I have been in this line of work for about 2 years now and the firm I was with previously before DaVinci taught me nothing. DaVinci has taught me so much and I'm learning more and more each day.

Cons

The only downside is that there are some people who are not very entrepreneurial. If you are looking for more and not afraid of taking a shot at the big times then this is for you. But if you are wanting to get rich quick and have short term thinking then this is definitely not for you.

Advice to Management

The trainings would be a little longer.

"Wealth Management Intern"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Pros

From what I recall it was a humbling experience. CEO provided great motivational speeches during the board meetings.

Cons

If you like cold calling this is the place for you. Not much motivation after the several hundred phone calls so there is also that.

Advice to Management

Provide more for employees because in the end they are the ones keeping the place afloat.

8. "Very professional interview"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Irvine, CA

I have been working at DaVinci Financial and Insurance Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and the environment is clean. The CEO himself interviews you unlike other companies. This establishment is unafraid of expressing it's awards and achievements.

Cons

None so far. Although the interview timetables maybe off by a little bit, everything still end up being accomplished successfully and professionally.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Really???"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Irvine, CA

Pros

not really any pros.... will provide you with an employer for resume building.

Cons

commission based no base pay! requires extensive training and a thick skin. don't plan on being paid anytime soon!

Advice to Management

stop preying on the helpless

"Boring, horrible, useless"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Intern in Orange, CA

I worked at DaVinci Financial and Insurance Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this job

Cons

Get interns and try to brainwash them that they'll make tons of money and some do believe it while others can see through this and leave. Boss showed a video of himself to the interns.

Advice to Management

Horrible boss, he is narcissistic.

"We once watched a video about unemployment for a "motivational team meeting." Scam."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Irvine, CA

Pros

Office is modern and clean.

Cons

I am pretty sure most of these reviews are fake. Darren's business model is to invite individuals to make cold calls without paying them. Commissions take a very long time to actually row in, and at that point most people have already left. The company (Darren) keeps all the profits. Moral is pretty low except for a few individuals. That's how I know these reviews are fake.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management. They know what they are doing. My advice is for those that are considering to make cold calls for Davinci. If you decide to go into an interview, just listen and think about the purpose of their messages.You can think for yourself and will understand how their words are crafted to brainwash and manipulate you.

Only reason to take this is if you are interested in a career in sales or want to have something on your resume so you can apply for a job without an employer questioning you length of unemployment.