DaVita Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
DaVita Chairman and CEO Kent J. Thiry
Kent J. Thiry

Pros
  • Company values home/work life balance, and supports teammates in maintaining that healthy balance (in 56 reviews)

• Living the Core Values of DaVita is put into reality as they intentionally make decisions in alignment with each of them (in 99 reviews)

Cons

"Most incompetent department I have ever seen."

Former Employee - LICENSURE and CERTIFICATION SPECIALIST in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - LICENSURE and CERTIFICATION SPECIALIST in Brentwood, TN

I worked at DaVita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, overpriced cafeteria, encourage you to walk on your 10 minute break, constant construction, lunch break is flexible enough to interview elsewhere

Cons

Holidays aren't paid but you're forced to take them off, after one year of being there no one knew what I was responsible for doing, if you take into consideration federal and or state holidays you get roughly 9 days of PTO, for a fortune 200 company I worked with people who couldn't read or write, high turnover, I can't even begin to elaborate on the Cons. If you're tempted to work here. Ask a lot of questions during the interview and if they're truthful, you'll be inclined to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Give the tasks to the administrative assistants at each facility. It would require about one hour of additional work per year and save the company a million dollars a year.

2. "Don't work here."

Former Employee - Collections in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Collections in Denver, CO

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Eco pass, excellent location right next to union station, the building looks nice from the outside.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. They don't care about work life balance, you will be told numerous times how lucky you are to work there. The 'culture' they shove down your throat about is a farce, this place is run so much like scientology watching a documentary about it gave me goose bumps. If you're a woman, they will offer you a $1 less per hour, ask for more. I negotiated and ended up making more money than someone who had been in the same role for 6+ years.

The PTO/sick time/holiday time all comes out of the same bucket and you will be written up if you end up at 0 hours. If you get suck or something happens that causes you to run out of PTO they will suggest you work 12 hours a day every day to make it up and act like you're lazy for saying no.

They reward a job well done by piling on more work then micromanage every action you take. If you slip up, slow down, you'd better communicate exactly why and have a good reason or you will be pulled in to a meeting to discuss your performance. If something outside your control causes AR to shoot up, expect mandatory OT and/or additional pressure to go faster faster faster. When I left accuracy wasn't even the biggest concern, they just wanted everyone to get through as many claims as possible.

I'm aware of two instances of sexual harassment, the first one was reported to a manager who never reported it to HR, she was later fired for other reasons. The same guy started stalking another female employee. This time it was reported up, he had to attend some sort of "don't harass your coworkers" training but that was it. He still works there.

There was one manager in all this who had my respect, she had learned to navigate the insane culture at DaVita without compromising who she was. That said, get on her bad side and you will be forced out. Over the 1.5 years I was there on a team of roughly 25 at any given time, I lost count at the number of people who had left and been replaced at somewhere around 30. Only two of the people who left went to another department. The culture here speaks of integrity and team and continuous improvement but I saw these things turned on employees constantly. They throw a years worth of training at you in a few weeks and if you don't pick it all up immediately, you're watched like a hawk and treated like an idiot. Things change constantly, you could have one process for something one day, and a completely different one the next, it's impossible to catch everything but you're treated like a moron if you miss even one thing. If you're out sick or injured you're letting down your team if you don't make up the time.

They may present bonuses as part of your compensation in the interview, i got one the entire 1.5 years I was here and it was about $100. You're not eligible for some bonuses until you've been there a year.

If you work here now, don't tell anyone when you plan to leave unless you have a REALLY good report with your manager, I've seen people walked when they gave their two week notice. Better yet, just don't work here.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on making DaVital look good from the outside. Pay your employees fairly, if the job is as difficult as collections, they should be salaried and given some leeway with PTO. Also, divide up the PTO into separate buckets, having it all in one is insane, no one does that.

Stop ramming the culture down everyones throat, loyalty should be earned. Stop feeding a culture of fear, I know people with broken bones who were too afraid to stay home and heal because they could be walked the next day for using too much PTO.

Allow for transparency, honesty and real feedback. Don't promote inexperienced leaders, they tend to micromanage and constantly attempt to "trim the fat" rather than focus on actually improving someones skills.

The chanting is creepy, it's not fun, its creepy.

3. "Don't work for their IT department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an interesting culture, that you won't be a part of since you are in the IT department. The HQ is beautiful, but again you won't be a part of that since you are in the IT department.

Cons

Fix your benefits package. People who work in the clinics are totally different than those who work in your business offices. You have one of, if not the worst benefits package I have ever seen in a fortune 500 company. Everybody paints this lovely story behind DaVita, and you get sued on a regular basis. You treat your IT department like third class citizens. You waste more money on junk when you could be hiring better employees.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the really smart people doing the work. It's no wonder the best people are leaving. You give college graduates the best desks, but the people doing the hard work for you to get your projects out the door are put in a cube farm that has mice and roaches running around. I would never tell a friend of mine to come work for your IT department. They are so out of touch with reality and new technology that you are stuck in the 1990s. Are you seriously still using a sharepoint site? Kent I hope you read this. You really need to turn this around or get out. You treat this team like garbage, and Allen is not helping at all. Time for some young blood. The Good Old Boys are done!!

"Very Poor Company/Staff"

Former Employee - Registered Dietitian in Fremont, MI
    Former Employee - Registered Dietitian in Fremont, MI

I worked at DaVita part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ongoing quality patient care by SOME staff members

Cons

-Poor pay
    -Poor group/IDT collaboration
    -Short staffed
    -Pay raises and bonuses based on personality, not work performed
    -I would NOT recommend this company to anyone for any reason
    -Poor Administration, they do NOT follow their own Policies
    -Some professional staff, based on personal prejudices, do not treat all patients fairly

Advice to Management

FOLLOW YOUR OWN CORE VALUES- Live your core values, Act with INTEGRITY
    WALK THE TALK CORPORATION WIDE FROM TOP TO BOTTOM!

"Charge Nurse"

Former Employee - Charge RN in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Charge RN in Baltimore, MD

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved that I only needed to work 3 days a week; each day appx. 15 hours, and had all of my weekends off. Scheduling treatment days around the holidays was fair enough.

Cons

I was sick in my stomach all of the time knowing that I could never get sick or have an emergency arise as their RN staff pool was limited to staff; meaning, there were only enough RNs to work their scheduled days. If you "did" get sick, it was your responsibility to cover your shift. Shifts began at 0500 so it was IMPOSSIBLE to wake up sick and try calling other nurses, which were already scheduled for that week, and expect them to come in to cover you, especially when you were working a 15hr shift. They also were in the practice of shafting you when it came to asking you for coverage at another clinic, promising you a bonus, and letting you return to your clinic and shirt. I was begged to travel 40min each way to a clinic they wanted me to cover, offering me a cash bonus with the promise of returning to my home clinic which was 5min from my home. I had trained 2 new nurses and did work for the distant clinic only to be stuck there when my Facility Administrator quit. I never received my bonus but on top of that, the 2 nurses I trained were given my shift and I was thrown on the opposite shift which then, shorted me 15 hours/week. I was furious ! I know it was only because they (DaVita) were paying the newer nurses much less than I was making. Atop of ALL of that, the began forcing the Charge Nurse to not only be responsible for their duties, but to pick up a section of patients too so that they could rob the company of even more money by bringing in 1 less PCT on the schedule.

Advice to Management

Your Charge Nurses are responsible for not only their patients, but the PCTs are working under our licenses. THIS IS THE MOST UNSAFE SITUATION I'VE EVER BEEN EXPECTED TO WORK UNDER !!

"NEVER again!"

I worked at DaVita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely NO pros!

Cons

Everything is a CON including all of the management. They are so nice and friendly until you make the wrong step and then someone doesn't like you anymore.

Advice to Management

Fire the management that are ruining lives.

8. "Intake call appointment schedule."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malvern, PA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Malvern, PA

I worked at DaVita as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot food days, generous with office gifts, onsite gym and food vendor. When they were closed the brought food in. The staff was nice.

Cons

The phone training was too short , two weeks to be responsible for scheduling patients for dialysis, even some long term employees agreed it was to short. Within 1 month from our class 3 people left. Either by choice or force out. Promised forty hours up front then cut to 20. We will keep you in mind if the phone volumes go up. They agreed that they hired us late in the season. A month wasted.

Advice to Management

Better training for the new people coming in .

"Unpleasant place"

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large company with some room for internal growth; looks good on resume of you survive

Cons

Internal growth only possible with a graduate degree from an Ivy League or Stanford.
    No retirement plan and no match. They work you to the one and you're supposed to feel privileged for giving up your life to them. questionable whether patients really do come before profits. You have to sing silly songs and worship the CEO.

Advice to Management

an Ivy League degree or a Stanford degree doesn't ensure best quality leadership. Look around at unusual suspects (before you lose them) and you'll find real gems. Also, singing Davita songs doesn't make a company a great place to work.

"IT Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - QA Tester
    Current Employee - QA Tester

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High performing teammates. Most of the corp offices are high end and very updated. Modern amenities and facilities. Somewhat flexible work environment

Cons

Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. Company is at least 10% lower than other IT shops with pay and benefits. Management explains this is going rate and everyone needs to make sacrifices while they add more and more hours to your schedule all the while the high brass execs are cashing in millions of stock options. During your review as your manager explains they can't give you a merit increase despite grading out at highest level, goto yahoo financial insider transactions and see what your execs are cashing out in stock options.

Advice to Management

Get with the times of IT pay. You are losing too talent because you refuse to pay for it and allow employees to support their families.

"Is this the new normal?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at DaVita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros or benefits.

Cons

What a rat race! Poverty wages. Benefits are mediocre to bad. Warehoused in a cube farm. They treat contractors like garbage. The sheeple working there appear to be blissfully ignorant and content. Management style includes lies and insults. Is this the new normal?

Advice to Management

You're hopeless!

Showing 237 of 1,643 reviews