DaVita Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 27, 2017
1,691 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,691 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Company values home/work life balance, and supports teammates in maintaining that healthy balance (in 56 reviews)

• The company itself truly believes in it's core values which is difficult to find in corporate America these days (in 104 reviews)

Cons
  • Demanding environment and hard to maintain work-life balance (in 79 reviews)

• No 401k match, no consistency in RN hours per center (in 76 reviews)

1. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Renal Dietitian II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Renal Dietitian II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company culture, benefits, compensation, co workers, growth potential is endless

Cons

If you are not team player or type A go getter with an amazing personality then may not be for you

"Bye Felicia."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA

I worked at DaVita full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros or benefits.

Cons

What a rat race! Poverty wages. Benefits are mediocre to bad. Warehoused in a cube farm. They treat contractors like garbage. The sheeple working there appear to be blissfully ignorant and content. Management style includes lies and insults. Is this the new normal?

Advice to Management

You're hopeless!

"My hard core village experience"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Baltimore, MD

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k, annual bonuses, medical, dental, vision, always overtime available, stable career (somewhat)

Cons

401k is not matched, training is not monitored to make sure new hires know what they are doing or to make sure preceptors are actually precepting and God forbid the new hire didn't know something that they didn't even realize their preceptor was supposed to teach them, the nurses will throw the new hire under the bus, no doubt about it instead of guiding and correcting them. There's no work life balance, just early mornings and late nights that never end. Get to work a little after 5am, don't leave until about 8:00pm at night and come back and do it again the next day and the next day and the next day and so forth and then you're dealing with crazy coworkers and patients alike the entire time. I can't imagine this is safe for workers or patients. Can I call the state about employee scheduling and the risk of incidents and errors due to lack of sleep? Guess I'll call and find out.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair and stop being office ornaments who only act as kissbutts to corporate and stand up to these techs who've been working for the company for 20 years and think they can do what they want from unlimited smoke breaks to caddy gossiping, and not following policy and procedure unless state surveyors are in the building

"High Turnover and Bad Management"

Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts in Irvine, CA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Onboarding team, teammates, the facility, location, and coffee.

Cons

The company takes advantage of the Patient Account Specialist. The job duties and workload are for "Analyst" yet do not compensate. Management will over work and bully teammates that are not favorites. Tons of favoritism and leaders would ban together to push out hard working colleagues. Managers are never around and make bad choices. When they are around they use foul language during meetings, leaders belittle each other, never prepare for their own meetings (then starts cussing), look half awake, and comes in late every day to avoid the team. No professionalism and makes teammates feel uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Higher up needs to get involve and see what's going on. There needs to be a REAL anonymous survey taken for all supervisors and managers. The last survey given were direct from emails to the director or manager, which does not allow teammates to tell higher up what is really going on. Look awake and be involve with the team. Stop doing the blame game. With all the changes going on we need real leadership, guidance, and not report cards.

"PAS"

Former Employee - PAs in Tacoma Junction, WA
    Former Employee - PAs in Tacoma Junction, WA

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great to work with, we were like one big family and the training is great. Lots of opportunities for training to be better at the systems they have at DaVita

Cons

New people coming in at higher pay then the devoted workers that of been there for years. Pay raises are horrible only pennies on the dollar. You are not compensated for your very hard and dedicated work

Advice to Management

Get up-to-date with the pay salary scale and treat your teammates that of been there for a while better

"Profit oriented, not patient centered."

Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Dayton, OH

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The nurses and the techs in the trenches are some of the most hardworking and caring people I've ever worked with. The pts range from almost intolerable to the sweetest people you'll ever care for.

Cons

Extremely top-heavy management. Cost cutting at expense of quality of care to patients while funding alcohol-fueled retreats for management. Upper tiers create unreasonable initiatives for staff to implement. These upper tiers have never worked, or have forgotten what it's like to work, on a treatment floor. Clinics are expected to retroactively account for labor hours lost when pts do not show up as scheduled.

Advice to Management

Cut the excessive bonuses you reward yourselves with and invest in better clinics. Quit buying dialysis machines from our biggest competitor. Accept responsibility for goals not met. If our clinic didn't meet triple crown criteria, then neither did Davita... one for all and all for one.

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Collections in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Collections in Denver, CO

I worked at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Eco pass, excellent location right next to union station, the building looks nice from the outside.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. They don't care about work life balance, you will be told numerous times how lucky you are to work there. The 'culture' they shove down your throat about is a farce, this place is run so much like scientology watching a documentary about it gave me goose bumps. If you're a woman, they will offer you a $1 less per hour, ask for more. I negotiated and ended up making more money than someone who had been in the same role for 6+ years.

The PTO/sick time/holiday time all comes out of the same bucket and you will be written up if you end up at 0 hours. If you get suck or something happens that causes you to run out of PTO they will suggest you work 12 hours a day every day to make it up and act like you're lazy for saying no.

They reward a job well done by piling on more work then micromanage every action you take. If you slip up, slow down, you'd better communicate exactly why and have a good reason or you will be pulled in to a meeting to discuss your performance. If something outside your control causes AR to shoot up, expect mandatory OT and/or additional pressure to go faster faster faster. When I left accuracy wasn't even the biggest concern, they just wanted everyone to get through as many claims as possible.

I'm aware of two instances of sexual harassment, the first one was reported to a manager who never reported it to HR, she was later fired for other reasons. The same guy started stalking another female employee. This time it was reported up, he had to attend some sort of "don't harass your coworkers" training but that was it. He still works there.

There was one manager in all this who had my respect, she had learned to navigate the insane culture at DaVita without compromising who she was. That said, get on her bad side and you will be forced out. Over the 1.5 years I was there on a team of roughly 25 at any given time, I lost count at the number of people who had left and been replaced at somewhere around 30. Only two of the people who left went to another department. The culture here speaks of integrity and team and continuous improvement but I saw these things turned on employees constantly. They throw a years worth of training at you in a few weeks and if you don't pick it all up immediately, you're watched like a hawk and treated like an idiot. Things change constantly, you could have one process for something one day, and a completely different one the next, it's impossible to catch everything but you're treated like a moron if you miss even one thing. If you're out sick or injured you're letting down your team if you don't make up the time.

They may present bonuses as part of your compensation in the interview, i got one the entire 1.5 years I was here and it was about $100. You're not eligible for some bonuses until you've been there a year.

If you work here now, don't tell anyone when you plan to leave unless you have a REALLY good report with your manager, I've seen people walked when they gave their two week notice. Better yet, just don't work here.

Advice to Management

Don't focus so much on making DaVital look good from the outside. Pay your employees fairly, if the job is as difficult as collections, they should be salaried and given some leeway with PTO. Also, divide up the PTO into separate buckets, having it all in one is insane, no one does that.

Stop ramming the culture down everyones throat, loyalty should be earned. Stop feeding a culture of fear, I know people with broken bones who were too afraid to stay home and heal because they could be walked the next day for using too much PTO.

Allow for transparency, honesty and real feedback. Don't promote inexperienced leaders, they tend to micromanage and constantly attempt to "trim the fat" rather than focus on actually improving someones skills.

The chanting is creepy, it's not fun, its creepy.

DaVita Response

Apr 24, 2017

Hello. We want to apologize for your experience as a DaVita teammate. We take concerns such as these contained in your comment seriously and would like to speak with you to gain better understanding ... More

"Don't work for their IT department"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an interesting culture, that you won't be a part of since you are in the IT department. The HQ is beautiful, but again you won't be a part of that since you are in the IT department.

Cons

Fix your benefits package. People who work in the clinics are totally different than those who work in your business offices. You have one of, if not the worst benefits package I have ever seen in a fortune 500 company. Everybody paints this lovely story behind DaVita, and you get sued on a regular basis. You treat your IT department like third class citizens. You waste more money on junk when you could be hiring better employees.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the really smart people doing the work. It's no wonder the best people are leaving. You give college graduates the best desks, but the people doing the hard work for you to get your projects out the door are put in a cube farm that has mice and roaches running around. I would never tell a friend of mine to come work for your IT department. They are so out of touch with reality and new technology that you are stuck in the 1990s. Are you seriously still using a sharepoint site? Kent I hope you read this. You really need to turn this around or get out. You treat this team like garbage, and Allen is not helping at all. Time for some young blood. The Good Old Boys are done!!

10. "Hospital Services (Acutes) Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Hospital Services Administrative Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Training rated highly in the industry. Team approach atmosphere. Teammates morale is very important to Leadership and will be addressed on how to improve often. Overall the most positive company I have had the pleasure to work for in my career. Communication is also highly rated from Leadership to Front Line.

Cons

Can experience long hours at times of the year when hospital census is high. I've heard other related companies may pay more but then cut hours to compensate for budget targets.

Advice to Management

Continue to reflect the All for One and Team Core Value. it makes a big difference to work for a company where that is lived throughout the company and not just the Front lines.

"It has potential, most are poorly ran"

Current Employee - Dialysis Tech in Huntsville, TX
    Current Employee - Dialysis Tech in Huntsville, TX

I have been working at DaVita full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The patients. My former supervisor was amazing but some people did not care for her, banned together, and had her fired. If the culture was implemented as it is presented in theory it would be amazing

Cons

The unpredictable hours. They can range from 3am-10pm. The pay is terrible for pet's considering they run the place

Advice to Management

The pay of $13/hour for certified dialysis Technicians is ridiculous compared to an lvn who does the EXACT same job but gets paid over $22 an hour. Also for the clinics only opened MWF or TTS please consider a second shift, maybe let some employees work from 3am-12pm and a second shift from 12pm-closing. The turnover rate at my clinic was ridiculous and those are the top 2 reasons why. Also the fact that we lost our FA because a few of the slackers in administration banned together and got her fired mysteriously. Now, they are running the clinic.

Showing 1,691 of 1,728 reviews