DaVita "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

DaVita Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 27, 2019

3.2
DaVita CEO Javier Rodriguez
Javier Rodriguez
Pros
  • "The core values of the company are extremely important and they do their best to live by them(in 148 reviews)

• "great work life balance and great culture(in 91 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "great company"

Current Employee - R N

I have been working at DaVita part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great work life balance and great culture

Cons

None right now. Great company

DaVita2019-07-03
  2. "Not quite as advertised, but okay"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DaVita full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent work/life balance compared to other industries. Good, collaborative environment with friendly people. Great location.

Cons

Definite underpay (partly due to the Denver Discount). A lot of red tape when it comes to promotions and pay raises. Semi-questionable business practices if you look too deeply into it... but still decent compared to oil/banking.

Advice to Management

For those managers coming from consulting/banking, please leave your expectations at the door or campaign for better pay.

DaVita2019-12-18
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great opportunity to gain experience"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Renton, WA

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than a year

Pros

DaVita really stands behind their core values. The teammates are friendly and welcoming in the beginning. Continuous improvement is one of my favorite core values, as the company gives plenty of feedback regarding work performance and etc. DaVita does make it their mission to provide the best care the world has ever seen. Also they do annual events to get teammates together to have some fun (bowling, etc.).

Cons

I believe that there could be a better work life balance as PCTs are expected to work long hours. Compensation is pretty fair, however, you might have to work a lot of overtime just to make ends meet. Other facilities in the area are always in need of PCT coverage. You will see that there tends to be a lot of drama in various DaVita facilities between teammates. My advice would be to keep to yourself and remain professional at all times. Don't converse confidential information to teammates as they will not keep your personal life confidential. Most of the patients are nice but there are some that are somewhat difficult to work with. Also beware of some of the nurses who may try to insult new PCTs or make them feel stupid. DaVita tends to praise their nurses and not give much recognition to their PCTs, unless you have a manager that deeply cares and understands what it is like to be a pct. Hence, manager has former pct background. Teammates tend to form cliques/social groups. They gossip a lot. Expect call outs from teammates in some facilities.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be more selective in there hiring process for clinical teammates. I am aware that it is difficult as some potential teammates can put on a show/their best foot forward during the interview. Also to show more appreciation to their teammates and compensate them more to keep the good ones around who do work hard in the village. Also to not play favoritism and neglect other teammates.

DaVita2019-12-25
  5. "Your experience is very team-dependent"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at DaVita full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many great things about DaVita: the eco-friendly pushes, the abundance of budget for happy hours/celebrations, the great reputation in the dialysis world. I also find that JR is a very present CEO.

Cons

Work-life balance is poor - especially if that's the norm for your direct team. A lot of gossip and cattiness around large departments. Very few opportunities or praise for introverts (promotions felt as though they happened first to a boss's friends, even if others on the team have had longer and more impactful tenure). If you are started at a lowball salary, you'll always be lowballed with every promotion or bonus. No pay transparency. I did not dislike my time with DaVita, but the culture and interpersonal environment wears on you and can make your work feel less meaningful. There were days when no one on my team even made mention of dialysis patients.

DaVita2019-12-22
  6. "Terrible Company"

Current Employee - Pct in Racine, WI

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They like to feed employees

Cons

They don't care about patients or staff, just money. No work/life balance Pay is below the standard Poor management High stress environment

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Care about more than the bottom line.

DaVita2019-12-27

"Severely Overworked For What It Was Worth!"

Former Employee - Social Worker in New York, NY

I worked at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only good thing said about working with this company were the teammates at the clinic I was located at. The health care experience in a dialysis setting can translate anywhere as well! Honestly didn't complain much about salary but living in a high cost of living area, it does make a difference in how much you are paid.

Cons

The challenge was the caseload as a social worker--expected to work with over 150+ plus patients is madness! Burnt out so quickly even when I asked for help I never received it just to manage the workload (assessments, KDQOLs, PHQs, case management work, patient complaints/behavioral conflicts, interim Admin Assistant work and more! Felt like the work of 3-4 peoplewas being done for 1 person!) Even the local hospitals don't kill you with the workload! Frankly work/life balance was non-existent as there were phone calls even on days off and before/after work hours from teammates/management (worked over 40 hours a week just to clean up the mess left by previous workers!) PTO was frankly terrible as they lump sick time, PTO and holidays which were taken out of your total balance and if you did not have enough time you did not receive your regular pay. What people to quit was the disrespect from the management and a side note, in previous pulse surveys, there was mention stopping the hiring of FAs from Target and Best Buy when they should get someone with direct clinical experience or health care experience (SW, RD, RN, MPH, MHA, PA, NP for examples!) Management was condesending, insulting and gaslighting teammates which made you question your own intergrity and sanity. The higher ups take things too personal when someone leaves as they strong arm you to stay even though a resignation is given. The pay /raises are crap, the workload is unbearable and frankly nothing will change. A bunch of empty promises and people being full of crap/super phony to work for non-competitive pay! Felt so insulted when notice was put in that coming back to the company will never happen even if given $1 million dollars. How stupid do you take people for!? Feeling bad for the people who stay for their teammates/friends and are taken advantage of working long hours for garbage pay! The clinic was so toxic as it was run so horribly by management I had to get out! Even the patients complained about management! The work will break you and if it wasn't for the horrible management, I definitely would have lasted longer! Not worth the money or stress!

Advice to Management

Hiring people with a healthcare background, manageable caseloads for social workers, firing people that insult teammates as they make the clinic so toxic, promoting from within and spare people the free lunches as they would prefer more money and reasonable work!

DaVita2019-11-23
  8. "RUN... Toxic work place"

Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at DaVita full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance Some of the people there are good

Cons

Pay Managers that incompetent Force weird cultish culture on you

DaVita2019-11-15
  9. "Facility Administrator"

Former Employee - Facility Administrator

I worked at DaVita full-time for more than a year

Pros

Training opportunities. Other than that no pros!

Cons

No work life balance. Bait and switch role. No opportunities for growth. Extremely labor driven even to the point of negatively impacting patient safety. Long 14-16 hour work days. Toxic culture!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Listen to your team. Trust your team. Patients should always come first!

DaVita2019-11-07

"Overall nice place"

Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at DaVita full-time

Pros

People are nice and good work life balance

Cons

Things may take a while to process

DaVita2019-09-13

"Worked to death"

Current Employee - Facility Administrator RN

I have been working at DaVita full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good core values, if they followed them.

Cons

Middle management, abuses by ROD, pressure to make employees happy while giving them unrealistic goals and staffing short. Work load for FA impossible to complete. Zero work life balance. Expected to work on PTO but no one talks about it.

Advice to Management

Get back to your core values. Concentrate on patient care and the profit will follow

DaVita2019-09-19