Daily Press Reviews | Glassdoor

Marisa Porto

1. "Reporter"

Former Employee - Reporter in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Reporter in Newport News, VA

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with some great reporters and editors and enjoyed my time with them. I was entrusted with the freedom to find the best stories on my beat and given leeway to develop those. Many of the reporters and editors are dedicated to their work.

Cons

Low pay. Ongoing ownership/management turmoil. The newspaper industry is declining and there were no raises for years even though job duties and responsibilities were constantly increasing. The review process was totally bogus also and was humiliating.

Nov 9, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the midst of a significant transformation to address the current challenges facing our industry. Our performance review process is being improved to ensure a ... More

"Not a happy place"

Former Employee - Advertising in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Advertising in Newport News, VA

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent people
    Nice office
    Benefits are ok

Cons

Inexperienced Publisher, constant shuffling of sales managers, and low pay make this a challenging place to work in sales. The newspaper industry is in decline which makes it hard but the internal politics and other distractions do not help. In just the last year the VP of Advertising was replaced and several sales managers have left or been forced to leave. There is no consistency in leadership in the sales department. Anyone who is good at their jobs have left or are planning to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop turning over sales people. It is not their fault the industry is in shambles.

"Awful experience"

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very good people that work here who are passionate about the newspaper and care about the community.

Cons

The toxic work environment is created from the top down. Their has been no consistency in sales management for years and that continues to be the case. The sales department has been treated as second rate employees for years under past and current management. Constant drama from corporate was a huge distraction and has been for years but has been increased with the change to tronc leadership. Salespeople are underpaid and it is hard to earn a living. Even good reps struggle to make ends meet. If you absolutely need a job then okay, but don't leave a decent one to work here.

Advice to Management

Act like professionals and stop the drama. Treat all employees with respect regardless of what positions they hold.

Feb 24, 2017 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for the feedback. As a company we strive to create a dynamic environment where all employees can take pride in their work, collaborate with others to meet their shared objectives and be ... More

"Considering the newspaper was slowing dying not a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Major Accounts Manager in Newport News, VA

Pros

Nice people, management mostly understanding, sales goals realistic given declining industry conditions

Cons

no job security, high pressure sales environment, no upward mobility or career opportunities, compensation only fair, upper management detached, bad morale due to continuing layoffs

6. "Current Employee"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Daily Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community involved, great position for a networker & a make a difference kind of job!

Cons

Just plain office politics...but you can overcome them!

"Good People, Horrible Environment"

I worked at Daily Press full-time

Pros

The people who work there have funny personalities and literally are the only reason I've stayed here for so long. There's also a lot of perks associated with the job because The Daily Press sponsors many community events and receive free tickets to those events.

Cons

The environment will suck the life out of you. None of the management know ANYTHING about employee retention, they don't do anything to implement positive change and they are beyond manipulative and will do whatever they can to hold their positions of power. They also micromanage insanely! And forget a raise! Those happen once in a never... they never happen.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES! They are trying to tell you something. If you want to save time & money from training people, and people quitting, and unemployment, then listen to what your employees are complaining about and raving about and then implement that change. That's all it takes to make all the difference in their world!

Mar 15, 2016 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Your input, and the feedback you provided is important to us as we strive to create collaborative work environments. We thank you for your advice ... More

8. "2013 Review of Daily Press"

Former Employee - IT Support in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - IT Support in Victorville, CA

I worked at Daily Press part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Deadline driven (Newspaper) , excellent process flows, well established company.

Cons

Have many facility items that should be upgraded/replaced, writers/publishers are using very antiquated equipment (PCs/MACs) which require older software.

Advice to Management

Due the due diligence, establish a plan for the business, research IT solutions (server & deskside), develop a plan for deployment in parallel to current systems, get a bigger server room with adequate ventilation/cooling, tighten your security. Be realistic in what 1 person can do in 25 hours/week when supporting 60+ users and servers. Treat people the WAY you want to be treated.

"In four years there were layoffs every couple of months."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people were nice to work with.

Cons

Management turnover, lack of regard for employees.

10. "Declining readership and advertising dollars equals declining earning potential"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Newport News, VA

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you enjoy calling on local small to medium businesses. The Daily Press is a trusted brand within the local business community. Management team does not micro-mange and each sales rep has the autonomy to build their account list.

Cons

Company has a poor track record of rolling out a competitive pay plan. Sales reps are told they can earn 60K or more, but this not true. I have seen very talented people depart this organization because of the earning potential.

Advice to Management

News print is an eroding industry, and I believe management would like to offer their reps a better salary. Declining readership and advertising revenue is causing quality sales reps to walk out the door. Find a way to offer a competitive salary

11. "Great time"

Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Sales in Newport News, VA

I worked at Daily Press full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, aggressive people who want to grow the media space

Cons

Emerging from BK was a drag

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart people