Daimler Trucks North America Reviews in Portland, OR | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daimler Trucks North America Head of Daimler Trucks North America Martin Daum
Martin Daum

Pros
Cons
  • Lay offs, unstable, sometimes to fast of pace (in 11 reviews)

• Not a great place for work life balance or for people that do not fit the white male profile of management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Benefits Second to Nonw"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits at DTNA are second to none. The employee match for 401K, vacation and holiday time gives you over 30 days off a year.

Cons

The German structure for career advancement can sometimes be a pain.

2. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project/Product Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Project/Product Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America (More than a year)

Pros

It was best working place

Cons

NO Cons at all all. NA NA NA

"A Tragedy of Epic Proportions"

Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR
    Former Contractor - Instructional Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I can only name two redemptive experiences while at Daimler; the cafeteria at the new headquarters and the tour of Western Star.

Cons

I was first impressed by the speed at which Daimler offered me a position, but that was the only time Daimler moved swiftly on ANYTHING. Among the many difficulties and obstacles experienced, the primary one related to the complete lack of ANY onboarding. I felt a bit like a person who was blindfolded and then put into a mine field. I literally spent days trying to find the most basic information.

My experience also taught me that many departments don't seem to value history or experience; meaning that nothing is documented or available to a new person trying to navigate crocodile-infested waters. And, it is treacherous. I was expected to have access to documentation (which was non-existent), shared drives, specific websites, all buildings, etc. with absolutely no guidance from supervisor, manager or coworkers.

Full time Daimler employees seem to be fed a constant diet of 'entitlement vitamins'; in that they seem to rule their small universe like mildly benevolent dictators. They have 'secret meetings' where they talk about the contractors who seem have one purpose; to do the work of the full time employees. Although I can only speak to my experience, I can say that it is shared by many other contractors.

I have been a contractor for many years but I NEVER treated with such disrespect, rude and dismissive behaviors and undeserved arrogance by childish full time employees who perform and behave like infantile spoiled brats rather than well-rounded, talented wise contributors.

To polish off this tragic and painful experience, I will share my parting moments. Despite trying to manage a work load big enough for 4 people, I was told to attend an all day team meeting. Once the meeting ended, I tried to use my badge to access another part of the building. My badge didn't work, so the security assumed it was a technical issue. I gave security my badge; looked at the face of the receptionist and held back tears as she told me that I had been terminated immediately.

Now if that isn't the antithesis of professionalism, I don't know what is. My manager couldn't even step up, behave like an adult and contact me to inform me of my termination. Not only did Daimler give me an experience of being disrespected, dismissed, dehumanized and discarded, I got to be knocked down again by the representing agency who couldn't seem to find the time, make a phone call or prepare me for being given notice for no cause.

Advice to Management

I have no doubt that no single manager at Daimler will read this, therefore, I will simply ask you to give pause before jumping into this shark-infested culture. Yes, my experience was just that; mine. However, if you read on, you will see many other people who have also experienced some painful and negative moments.

Being human and treating others as 'HUMAN' is something we all learn by the age of 5; to think that a multinational company not only sanctions, but encourages the objectification of their contract personnel is frightening at many levels and gives me serious pause for how this company moves into the future. There are extensive, well-documented incidents that this company should review if in order to not replicate one of the darkest times in recent world history. I thought that we had progressed in our efforts to no longer dehumanize people. I am saddened to be so misguided in that naive notion.

4. "Good company to retire at, sub-par salaries, terrible to contractors"

Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice new office, discounted employee leased mercedes benz, relaxed work environment, good vacation and 401k

Cons

Contractors are second hand citizens, salaries are atrocious, very slow promotional opportunities, stale work environment, not receptive to innovation or change.

5. "Mechatronics Intern"

Former Intern - Former Intern in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Former Intern in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of benefits and off-site activities for employees. Beautiful campus/location. Opportunity to work on cutting edge technology.

Cons

Salaried employees can be overworked at times, and pay seems to be on the lower end for comparable jobs. Can be difficult to get promoted past Senior Engineer.

Advice to Management

None

6. "Hidden stresses"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus
    Great services
    Good location if you live in Portland area

Cons

A lot of worried people running around stressed out

7. "Dedicated to innovation and safety"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent teams and teamwork, Dedicated to their customers, caring for the environment, and promoting safety.

Cons

I have no cons to share, I loved that job.

"Good Company with Many Politics"

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Daimler Trucks North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Successful, Innovative, Proactive when under Good Manager. Good Benefits, Nice Facility and Environment.

Cons

Significant Politics in some areas. Especially those tied to Parent Company Leadership.

9. "Mechanical Engineer II"

Current Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - Mechanical Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Daimler Trucks North America as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is constantly trying to improve itself and it's products.

Cons

There is a lot of current bloat in processes.

10. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Engineer in Portland, OR

Pros

Very modern minded company. Put their employees personal growth as a priority.

Cons

Very hard to get a permanent position.