Dairy Farmers of America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Smith

Pros
  • Good pay and benefits - neither good enough to justify staying at the job (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, great insurance, nice people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Stark difference in flexibility between upper management and everyday employees (in 9 reviews)

• Strict work schedule which doesn't help with work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

"Production lead"

Former Employee - Production Lead in Fort Morgan, CO
    Former Employee - Production Lead in Fort Morgan, CO

I worked at Dairy Farmers of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The daily work was easy. The pay and the benefits were great. The coworkers were great to work with. The days off were awesome.

Cons

Management, a lot of delegating to the employees, doing three times the paperwork, 12 hour shifts, big problems that are not getting fixed that can cause harm to the product or people!

2. "Run as fast as you can"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Dairy Farmers of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons to work at this place

Cons

Harassment from management to fellow employees

Advice to Management

wake up and smell the coffee

"Overall would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Dairy Farmers of America (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and tuition reimbursement

Cons

If something appears "too good to be true," it probably is. I received a decent salary and benefits package from the get-go, however the stresses I incurred in my 4+ years here were not always worth it. I began dreading going to work each morning. Management's attitude is to keep middle managers and everyone below in the dark. Sometimes they'd even keep upper/senior management in the dark. There is little to no regard for employees' health, well-being, etc. There are often undertones of sexism in dialogue in this old boys' club. Also just multiple conflicts of interest abound between family/business. It all comes down to the almighty dollar for them, and in the end the nice salary was not worth it. Going to HR didn't seem to amount to much (unless things have changed since I left). Bad behavior is encouraged and enabled, and there is little to no positive reinforcement.

Advice to Management

Upper management and leadership - stop letting the business unit leaders pull your strings. Some of them may have significant impact on your bottom line financials but you are losing good, talented and intelligent employees left and right. Reward good behavior and work and stop enabling corruption.

"Production"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Springfield, MO

Pros

There aren't any pros at that company

Cons

Overworked,treated poorly, your are replaceable,management is very poorly

Advice to Management

The HR directors need to actually do there jobs and stop the harassment and bully that goes on there!!

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Corporate Payroll Administrator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Corporate Payroll Administrator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Dairy Farmers of America (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment and provides great compensation to it's employees. Always friendly management that is helpful on daily tasks or questions

Cons

Strict work schedule which doesn't help with work/life balance

"Lots of Unrealized Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Dairy Farmers of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I have ever worked with are at DFA, specifically on the commercial side in the manufacturing facilities. Almost without exception, everyone in that part of the organization really cares about their job and doing a good job because it is the right thing to do. That is refreshing and inspiring to work with.

Many chances for professional development. I was able to get professional certification and a few offsite training courses that were always approved for reimbursement.

Good financial outlook, as the market for DFA goods in the US and globally continues to grow.

Cons

However, the cons of the company far outweigh the pros. The core corporate management in Kansas City seems to lead with the mindset that all the employees are trying to put one over on them. No flexibility or working from home because they did not think we could be trusted to do work if we weren't sitting at our desk (and they were referring to fairly experienced individual contributors, not that it should matter). If you trust an employee to work for your organization, you should be able to trust them to manage their time like adults, whether they are sitting at their desk all day or working from home. The dress code is antiquated (heaven help you if you dare wear pants that come to your ankles!) and the vacation policy (2 weeks vacation time, 4 sick days per year, and the bare minimum required federal holidays) is as minimal as you will find for a salaried position in KC.

Advice to Management

Many people have left my department in the last several years and no one with any power to do anything about it has asked why. DFA could be a first-rate organization if corporately it was willing to do some self-reflection and see where things could be improved. An employee survey of current employees might be a good eye-opener for where to head next. And a more robust exit interview process than the 10-minute one that I had as I was leaving might help focus some efforts in a pro-active way. If the powers-that-be could be willing to ask (and answer) the tough questions about the culture at DFA, I think improvements could happen. But if they continue to keep their heads in the sand, it will be same sad status quo.

"Maintenance Team"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in La Grange, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in La Grange, TX

I have been working at Dairy Farmers of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The maintenance team is very easy to work with.

Cons

Not all issues get put into the work order system

9. "shipping an receiving clerk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sharpsville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sharpsville, PA

I have been working at Dairy Farmers of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good co workers an equibment to work with

Cons

no hrs an management is awful

"Growing company with decent pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Pros

There are plenty of hours available to those who are willing and able to work. There's plenty of work to go around as the company continues to grow. The new management is also very friendly and easy to work with/for

Cons

Unfortunately there are usually not enough people on a shift due to people calling out or not coming in. Also there's no one to supervise in the evenings and most employees don't like to work later hours putting more stress Oh they ones that are willing to stay late

Advice to Management

I would advise them to develop two shifts and have a supervisor available on both shifts. Also maybe a slight increase for people seeking to work the evening shifts to entice more people to be willing to work late

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Dairy Farmers of America (More than a year)

Pros

Really enjoy working with this company.

Cons

Culture needs to be updated.