Daiso Japan Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • easy fun environment, friendly atmosphere, flexible schedule (in 18 reviews)

• Great co-workers and flexible hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Offer minimum wage but it is worthy for student summer job (in 14 reviews)

• Management and store leaders have favorites and it was obvious (in 14 reviews)

1. "Was a great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Daiso Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the workers are friendly
    Easy job for 1st timers
    You get some work experience

Cons

Customers are rude and demanding
    Not getting paid enough for all the work you do

Advice to Management

New management is needed. The Store leader isn't allowed to make their own decisions. The Corporate leader for the stores never listens and should not be allowed to run the store the way they do.

"Easy part-time but shady management"

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Artesia, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Floor Team Member in Artesia, CA

I worked at Daiso Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was my very first job and I had no problem with handling the easy day-to-day responsibilities. They either start you off as a cashier or floor staff but you take on a little bit of both. Both cashiering and stocking are simple and do-able. Shifts are short, anywhere between three to six hours. You are given a mandatory break (10 minutes to 1 hour) depending on how long your shift is. The coworkers are friendly. Nothing really stands out about the job itself other than the ease.

Cons

Management is disrespectful and unprofessional, treating employees as slaves thus creating a very hostile work environment. Hours given to you are based on if the manager likes you or not. The rules are ridiculous and uptight. Managers communicate through emails because they are rarely ever physically present at the store actually managing and doing their job. They 'accidentally' sent out an email to the employees rather than amongst themselves threatening to "cut down their labor hours if they do not obey our rules" and said "we can hire more new members instead of them". Their response was, "We will cut down hours of old members again and hire new people when I am back in LA". Later, we found out that they purposely sent that to us to scare us.

Advice to Management

The way you deal with your employees needs to change. If you have a problem with an employee, do not be immature about it and cut down their hours without explanation. Be a professional, sit them down, tell them what they need to work on and give them time to improve. If they do not improve, then you can take action. Your employees are human beings, not slaves. If someone is not doing their job right, instead of cutting their hours, show them how to do it properly. Managers are supposed to be respectable professionals that the employees look up to, not frown upon. If you took the time to actually do your job, put on a friendly face, and help out your employees rather than scolding them for something you failed to properly teach them, then maybe your stores would operate better.
    You are adults, please act like it.

"Cashier"

Pros

Cute stuff and if you work there you are always the first to see what they have
    friendly coworkers

Cons

Management does appreciate they took away the 10 cent raise they gave us cause minimum wage went up. The amount did matter but it was kind of insulting

4. "sales associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Daiso Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy fun environment, friendly atmosphere, flexible schedule

Cons

minimum wage, standards high, part time only so no insurance

Advice to Management

give store perks

5. "HORRIBLE work place environment. 0/10"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in El Cerrito, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in El Cerrito, CA

I worked at Daiso Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you'll make a few friends.

Cons

names wont be used to protect the innocent.

DISCRIMINATION:
    The manager here favors Chinese employees over others. You are more likely to be hired if you are a girl, and you are Chinese. You gain higher positions faster. Here's a real example of what I'm talking about. Worker A has been at daiso for more than a year, and they are given store manager task. However, they are not granted the hours they want, and they are paid the same as a regular floor member. They are also not being considered for a raise, or a promotion due to poor reasoning from the manager. Worker B has less than a years experience, even less so experience as a shift leader, but is given all the hours they want, and is being considered for Store manager position, they are also Chinese. Let me give you another example, around the month of may this Daiso was given a budget cut, there were reduced hours for everyone. On average, the employees here work 3 or more days. After the hours were cut, everyone was working 3 days or less, except for the manager, and that same shift leader who both were given 5 days. You should be promoting people because of their work ethic, not because you favor them. Common sense.

COMMUNICATION:
    If you ask about real communication here, you'll have none of it. The manager does not want to get involved in anything. The manager was encouraged to have group meetings by the corporate level, and refused to do so, passing it off as not being able to bother. Drama at this store happens, because of the divide between manager + people she likes, and everyone else. Who can you really talk to about your personal disagreements about the store? how do you know they won't snitch on you and twist your words? Who's really by your side? I've heard shift leaders snap and yell and floor members for not doing things the exact way that shift leader wanted. How is this able to happen? how is this just being ignored? You can also get set up at this job, that's ridiculous. You can honestly get put in an unfavorable position on purpose by someone you thought you could trust. I was told months into the job by my shift leader at the time, that I was doing a good job. I had great performance. So why suddenly am I called to the back, and the manager has told me the exact opposite? why suddenly are my hours being taken away? I felt betrayed. No one is upfront here, they would rather be emotional, and gossip among their friends about someone, than to actual resolve things. The manager if you could even call them that, would rather check the surveillance footage , and make assumptions base on that than to talk to everyone about what the issue may be. The manager has poor communication skills, instead of building good relationships, and being constructive, they opt to go on a emotional rant about how things aren't being done the 'correct' way on email, mostly in bold capitalized large font, sometimes red font. Then the manager wonders why no one talks to them. Also to answer the question, no one knows how you want things done because you don't get good clear examples, and you do not fully train your new floor members. Even now there are people months in who do not know the basics, so old problems keep occurring. You cannot cross your fingers and hope they'll just "get it".

Overall, tell me how you can motivate people in this capacity? how can you expect people to do things the way you want, when you don't give them a reason to care? Nor do you praise them for doing things the right way. Every worker wants to feel appreciated, every worker wants to feel like they matter to the store, and are a contributing factor to its success. If you only privilege the few, what you create is an inner circle of ignorance, and an outer circle of disdain, and resentment.

Advice to Management

NO MATTER WHAT, there is no excuse, not personality, or anything. it is your job as manager to COMMUNICATE with your employees. How can you be a leader with your eyes and your heart closed? how do you feel right, picking and choose who gets benefits and who gets the short stick? why is there even a short stick? if you can't handle the task of being the positive example the store needs then politely make way for someone who will. The livelihood, and general welfare of your floor members are nothing to play with, and disregard.

6. "Go work at McDonalds, same pay and probably better treatment."

Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Cashier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Daiso Japan part-time

Pros

Friendly co-workers
    So far, all the customers range from standoffish to friendly

Cons

Extreme nepotism
    Managers out of touch with people under them

Advice to Management

Don't go around constantly shouting stuff like "You wanna fight? Let's go!" or "I am going to murder you." every 5 minutes even if you are joking. It's unprofessional.

If you implement a new system and it increases people's workloads, do realize that it means it will take them LONGER to complete the work.

Try getting actual evidence of wrong doing (like the many cameras you have) before accusing people.

"Cut hours after a month"

Current Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Daiso Japan part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Good for students who need a part time job.

Cons

Cut everyone's hours a month after opening. Little to no training.

Advice to Management

Train your employees hands on, don't just give them a stack of manuals and tell them to memorize it. Be clear about cutting hours before you just do it because a lot of people are actually dependent on their paychecks to I don't know, live?

8. "It was an okay college job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Gardena, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Gardena, CA

I worked at Daiso Japan part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1 hour lunches, fun co-workers

Cons

Not enough hours, not enough pay, understaffed

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees needs

9. "Cashier job"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

Coworkers were nice, mostly young people. Very easy, good for first-time job.

Cons

Uniform requires you to have a watch.

"Unorganized company"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Daiso Japan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work, interesting products, 45 minute lunches, in this particular location monthly set schedules. Friendly employees and variety of customers.

Cons

No communication, higher management is in Japan and impossible to reach. Every store is on their own but once an issue occurs all the higher management in other countries and cities bombard you with questions. Even if you're promoted, you must work with previous pay until you prove that you are worthy of the higher pay, which can take over a year. Management is not professional, cussing and yelling at employees.

Advice to Management

Organization!!!!!!! Please get everyone on the same page and set some standard rules for every store. Also learn to respect your employees and stop all the illegal activity. Saying "this is how they do it in Japan" is no excuse, because we are in America. If you want to follow "Japans rules" pay us in Yen.