Daktronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Daktronics CEO Reece A. Kurtenbach
Reece A. Kurtenbach
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment with an excellent support staff (in 16 reviews)

• Management does a good job letting employees have a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay starting if you do not have many credits (get paid more per credit completed with an A or B (in 10 reviews)

• Slightly lower pay than industry standard (in 7 reviews)

"Ok"

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are competitive. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Career advancement is absolutely impossible.

Advice to Management

Please don't be so rigid regarding people's academic credentials and promote from within. Promote and reward folks that do good work. I have a very hard time advancing here, even though I take my job very seriously and have always had great feedback from my supervisors. But frustratingly, I have seen a couple of my peers promoted because they have a degree in "X" when I have a degree in "Y", even though I have had literally years and years more practical experience at Daktronics than they do. 6 years to be precise...

I've been strung along when applying for several positions now, only to see a newer coworker or someone from the outside with a related degree but no experience get hired. Then when I ask for feedback, I'm literally told by my supervisor "it's because you lack the degree in X" or "so-and-so from outside of the company was a better fit for this (internal) position". Very frustrating. Then to top it off, I've even trained in 3 people for jobs I was rejected from. I'll be honest, I try my best, but it's hard to keep a good attitude and to keep your morale going knowing you give your job 110% but neither management nor HR recognizes that.

***Daktronics HR and management: Please, please read these reviews, take these reviews seriously, pass them along to the appropriate people, and revamp some of your hiring processes, because I'm seeing a lot of the same themes. Like many other people, I've brought up my concerns to my supervisor and it's gone nowhere. You're losing a lot of good employees with a lot of Daktronics dedication and experience to your current hiring processes.

"Customer service"

I have been working at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work hours and ability to move within the company.

Cons

Supervisors vary greatly from bad to good. Leaders are chosen thru political network - not necessarily due to skill and understanding. Once a supervisor, they never hold that person accountable. Pay varies according to what they can get by with. Don't count on being paid on your performance. Someone doing less may be paid more. Supervisors may load work on you for months if not years until you leave. Overtime is expected of salary employees - and a lot of it. Bad leaders stay. It's up to you to find the right team or supervisor and move to them.

"Lots of flexibility for 25% less pay."

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a ton of flexibility for those looking to work remote or have flexible hours. It seems that more and more people are taking advantage of this opportunity. It's a great place to work as a student because it seems students are given the same responsibilities as full-time staff.

Cons

One major con is the pay. I've found the pay to be about 25% below the industry average. Secondly, there is a lack of accountability. People don't follow the processes put in place and others have to go back to clean up the work instead of holding people accountable to do what is expected. Lastly, I think the company cares more about developing student employees than catering to their existing, full-time staff.

Daktronics Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for your review. We are glad that you appreciate the flexibility of our work arrangements. We strive to provide developmental, professional experiences for all employees.

Regarding... More

4. "Not great company ,but great town"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

Pros

Short commute, Brookings is a great town to live in if you have a family

Cons

Pay and benefits. Pay needs to be raised for all salary employees. Benefits should be better for size of company. Bonuses needed for engineers.

"Make sure roles, responsibilities, and structure within your group are clear."

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many different divisions with wide range of product offerings to work with, some positions provide travel opportunities. Decent pay, ESPP...

Cons

Terrible management skills in certain areas. Focus on engineering is much lower in certain areas and and all about supporting manufacturing. Really more of a tech role in most cases. No clear definition as to the what the responsibilities are and there is not trust that engineers can get projects done without being being micromanaged in some cases.

Advice to Management

Work on people development and training both in the engineering groups as well as in manufacturing. Largest problem in manufacturing today is that there is no standard or structure that is strictly followed in any group so no one ever knows exactly what it is that they are suppose to do. Leads to terrible productivity and more quality issues requiring engineering resources and taking away from time working to improve areas of production. You'll never get ahead if you continue to beat people down as they are 10 steps behind.

"Terrible work experience"

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Redwood Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Redwood Falls, MN

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are good if you can afford them.

Cons

Worked the night shift in Redwood Falls. If there was any job movement people from the previous company before Daktronics acquired them seem to get all the job growth. Your experience is not taken into consideration. They try to keep everyone you work with on a even playing field holding the people with more to offer from gaining any job advancement. Way to many people who are related working there. Micromanaged. Supervisors have no idea what there employees are capable of as far as job skills. If you don't agree with how they are doing things and bring up ideas on how to improve they tell you they have it all figured out and wont listen to you. If you know more then your coworkers they will vindicate you to management so you cant get a head of them in job placement. The work life balance is terrible. The shift that has the worse hours is the one that always has to work extra overtime which means you have no family or personal life. Some shifts never put in more then thirty six hours a week while most others are working fifty plus. Night shift Supervisor comes and goes as she pleases and is gone for hours at a time. I could go on but I am sure you get my point.

Advice to Management

Watch what goes on in Redwood Falls more closely. You have big moral problems among the workers because of how they get treated by management. No trust in upper management.

"Only for people who don't know any better"

I worked at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Great product; really cool to see product up and running. If you have never worked anywhere else this company appears to be great

Cons

Complete lack of ETHICS! They abuse interns by treating them like delivery people, would be amazed if the interns actually learn anything. Low pay unless you are in with upper management. I brought up a "conflict of interest" and was fired soon afterwards.

Advice to Management

Put a CEO in who did not grow up in this broken system!

"LABORERS, Stay Clear from Daktronics"

Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Redwood Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Redwood Falls, MN

I worked at Daktronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are always hiring in Redwood Falls, MN. It's not to difficult to get a laborer position. They will take anyone, literally.

Cons

The pay is digustingly low for the laborer, especially for those who don't even have a GED. Daktronics will pay the same hourly rate for the laborer who has an extensive education versus no education. They struggle to help those financially who want to pursue an education and work at different locations wherever the company exists in America. The education program they offer will be reimbursed if you continue to work for them, but it takes them FOREVER to pay it back to you.
    How is that possible?

Advice to Management

Day Shift Management in the Final Department: Don't take comments personally. Your excessive actions on those when one or many voice their comments strongly is not necessary. You tend to look into peoples comments too deeply.

Night Shift Management: Keep on doing what is necessary to be successful. If you can figure out a way to provide a better pay for the highly educated individual(s) versus experience then congratulations. At least you are willing to explore that area versus the Day Time Shift.

"Great for students"

I worked at Daktronics (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Learn real world experiences with opportunities to be mentored by front-line employees
    - Always encouraging learning
    - Student incentives for applicable classes
    - Flexible work schedule (depending on the position)
    - Variability in work assignments, ability to apply internally for different positions
    - Global company (travelling possible)
    - High visibility of products

Cons

- Pay lower than average
    - After making money hand over fist, they continue to struggle since the downturn
    - Coaching out(passive or active) is more likely for current employees that need mentoring
    - Few leadership opportunities because of stagnant growth
    - Many aspects of culture are unprofessional (HR doesn't help either)

Advice to Management

Management/HR needs to connect more with employees - there is an impression of rule by fear. You aren't immune to mistakes yourselves, be willing to be vulnerable. Show a bit more love to your employees than investors for a time - both will thank you, one over time. Don't delegate employee recognition - make it personal.

10. "Machine Operator"

I have been working at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Steady hours, farmed out to other sections if no work

Cons

Repetitive and boring, low pay.