Daktronics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Daktronics CEO Reece A. Kurtenbach
Reece A. Kurtenbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Daktronics generally promotes a collaborative work environment that encourages employees to work together to help our customers (in 16 reviews)

• Management does a good job letting employees have a good work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay starting if you do not have many credits (get paid more per credit completed with an A or B (in 10 reviews)

• Hard to continue to advance within the company due to upper management having a lot of seniority and not retiring any time soon (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to have a family"

Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Hardware Design Engineer in Brookings, SD

Pros

Daktronics is a great place to work. The environment is friendly and welcoming. There are always different projects to work on and as an engineer you are not pigeon holed into a certain job. All engineers are apart of the development cycle from beginning to end. All of the workers there are tremendously helpful and friendly (that's what you get for being in the Midwest) and every day there was different.

Cons

The only two downsides are compensation and the city of Brookings itself. It was not my cup of tea but it is a perfect place to have a family. The compensation is much less than industry average which is a trade-off you must accept in order to work in such a place as Brookings, SD

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

Everything about the work is enjoyable. If you have a positive attitude and a desire to learn, you will enjoy the large majority of your co-workers, and also have great opportunites for growth and advancement.

Cons

Pay is not frequently average or below in comparison to similar positions in other companies.

Advice to Management

Excellent job of providing opportunities for growth ability for the individual to take initiative. This provides excellent motivation and encourages a very positive culture.

3. "Initial entry"

Current Employee - Applications Integration Engineer - Computer Specialist in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly supportive work environment with support and encouragement for personal development and education.

Cons

None from my point of view

4. "Student Tech"

Current Employee - Student Tech in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Student Tech in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of opportunities for diverse experiences.

Cons

When the snow falls it does not stay on the ground. One day of snow could turn into a week long blizzard.. If you move here buy a truck.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Great Place to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Engineer in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Engineer in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People, healthy work environment, people want to do well, enormous amount of trust (good people do good things)

Cons

Structure can be confusing especially comparing different factories and areas. Job security should go into the Pros section, but they have taken it too far (fire people that can not do the job!) Pay top performers top $ or they will be gone. High School and College GPA based hiring?

Advice to Management

More direction and involvement

6. "Excellent student opportunities available"

Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

Cons

The one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.

7. "Great Opportunity"

I worked at Daktronics part-time

Pros

Great exposure, had the opportunity to gain career experience. Very flexible on hours.

Cons

None that I can think of.

8. "Great student experience"

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Daktronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a student employee I was able to gain a vast amount of knowledge in my field of study. This experience taught me many things I would not have been able to learn in a classroom.

I was treated with the respect and responsibility of a full-time employee. I felt like a valued member of the team and knew I was able to actually make a difference.

They were very flexible with my schedule as a full-time student and were able to accommodate last minute changes when exams or large homework loads popped up.

Pay was respectable and increased with good grades, which helped incentivize strong academic performance.

Cons

Have known other students in different departments of the company who didn't seem to have as much responsibility or trust from their management teams. Not sure if that was a reflection on them or the teams, but there is a strong division of teams often within the same field.

Advice to Management

The student positions are great ways to gain valuable experience while going to school, and are very beneficial to the students who are lucky enough to take advantage of them.

9. "Great for contractors"

Former Employee - Independent Contractor
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor

Pros

Great learning environment. Worked as a contractor with great teams that left me with valuable experience.

Cons

Hours could be rough and were often scheduled by manager in large chunks that would have to be traded. My fault for having a busy schedule while working part time but caused some issues.

Advice to Management

Great management, learning program etc. Any team members that couldn't pull their weight were pretty quickly let go by management. Glad to have good managers who could determine who was worth a second chance and who was just bringing the team down.

10. "Daktronics review"

Pros

Daktronics generally promotes a collaborative work environment that encourages employees to work together to help our customers. Engineers often get to work on innovative technical solutions and the products that are created impact millions of people every day.

Cons

As I suspect is true of most mid to larger companies, there are many good opportunities to pursue. Occasionally, it is not always clearly communicated where which opportunity is most important at specific points in time.

Advice to Management

Continue to strengthen the things that allow Daktronics to be successful (collaborative work environment, ...) and strive to provide better clarity to front line employees on most important focus areas.

Daktronics Response

Nov 19, 2015 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for the feedback! You brought up a good point about the challenges surrounding communication. We're fortunate to have so many opportunities within our organization to pursue; we are... More