Daktronics Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Daktronics CEO Reece A. Kurtenbach
Reece A. Kurtenbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Daktronics generally promotes a collaborative work environment that encourages employees to work together to help our customers (in 16 reviews)

• Management does a good job letting employees have a good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay starting if you do not have many credits (get paid more per credit completed with an A or B (in 10 reviews)

• Hard to continue to advance within the company due to upper management having a lot of seniority and not retiring any time soon (in 7 reviews)

"I had worked at Daktronics for 5 years"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Brookings, SD

Pros

Edge-cutting software and good computers
    Flexible work hours if work as student

Cons

One of the worst companies I have worked for. The headquarters are located in Brookings, SD which is a very cold, small college town. The site for the headquarters is probably purposely selected by a big engineering college where no other engineer jobs are available. As a student you are exploited at Daktronics doing work of full-time engineer for $8 per hour without any benefits or bonuses. During school you will be working 20 hours and during summer you will be forced to work 40 hours and will be pushed really hard. 80% of work at Daktronics is done by students. You will be always told how good you work and how they want you but at the same time you will be jokily reminded that you are a student and will continue working as a slave for nothing. There is a lot of red tape at Daktronics. All your activities are constantly monitored to make sure that you work all the time and don't check you email. Your supervisor will be breathing behind you often to make sure you work really hard. Also by some reason you don't like to tell you that you by law allowed to take two 15 minutes paid breaks. If you ask them if you are allowed to take those breaks, they will say that you work on computer in a relaxed environment, so you kind of don't need those.

When you are about to graduate the following will happen: if they don't want you, they will not offer you job saying something like they have no positions available. If you worked really hard reminding often how you love them, they will give you an offer with a laughable salary. Even after working really hard for them for 5 years, to a software engineer, going 5 years to university and studying really hard, they may offer salary lower than a truck driver makes in SD. Many people leave the company as soon as they graduate. There are few who decided to stay and later on, 8 years later, they quit barely making $50K for hard engineering work.

My personal experience with the company wasn't good. When I just started I was really happy to do software engineering and I was getting lots of experience. After a while when you get experience working there is hell. You know you are doing really skilled high paying work but you get paid really really low. You also get really stressed at some times. After the graduation I rejected the offer from Daktronics and got an offer from a different company that I never worked for before. The new company offered me 2.5 more than what Daktronics offered after 5 years of hard work, plus amazing benefits and bonuses. Working here comparing to Daktronics is like in paradise.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees.

"steer clear of here"

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+nice community
    +friendly labor force
    +clean,well maintained facility
    +convenient location on interstate
    +exciting,interesting product
    +well known in its industry

Cons

-lacking in ethics and morals
    -labor force treated extremely poorly
    -wage not even close to local cost of living
    -HR dept disorganized,and inefficient-too many personal agendas
    -middle and upper mgmt could care less about the labor force
    -no advancement opportunities for labor force
    -way too many people sitting in offices with no apparent function
    -no longer the area's top employer for labor due to the poor treatment of the workforce
    -if you dont have a college degree or are not enrolled in the local college,you're expendable
    -no family involvement allowed-no company gatherings for families at all
    -very low,if any,raises or incentives
    -corporate greed is management's only driving force
    -labor force is required to do the engineering function,so the engineering staff can claim the reward
    -the least qualified people are put in charge of production functions,at a company loss
    -first line supervision is very ineffective,and overstaffed
    -management at all levels is very arrogant,and detattched from the workforce
    -most administrative errors are taken out on the labor force
    -no managerial accountability at all-the labor force is always guilty
    -the most experienced laborers are dismissed to make room so interning students can have a desk
    -original core values have been totally abandoned

Advice to Management

there used to be a waiting list of people trying to get into daktronics,not so long ago.but now they are just a building full of laborers waiting for thier next job to call them with an offer.this is sad,because there is so much potential there that management refuses to agknowledge.I know that the founders did not intend this to be the case.your company has failed its community,and has become the laughing stock of the workforce.workers around your area are talking to each other about it .with the upcoming industrial growth in the area happening,do you really think you'll be able to stay? no matter how much money you throw at this upcoming dilema,you will soon find out that you cant buy loyalty.maybe you should give in to a hostile takeover so your entire management can be replaced with a competent one

"Lost Their Way"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good people that work in front line positions at the company, interesting industry, and a useful learning opportunity.

Cons

Largely disorganized management and customer service, lack of ethics, arrogant leadership with no regard for others, be they customers, shareholders, or employees. Inadequate and unequal pay for like work, terrible Human Resources and customer service departments. Lack of consistency.

Advice to Management

That new-school management style looks terrible on you, as a company. It will take many years for the company to recover from the damage you're doing to Daktronics. Take a hard look at yourselves, recent changes in policies and procedures (or lack of observance of said policies), and accept that your loss of customer base is due to your own failures. You can't keep blaming your losses on your competitors' success, when it's you who've lost your way.

"Company is ran by engineers with no business sense."

Former Employee - Electronic Technician
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A pay check but you will probably need a second job to pay the bills.

Cons

Low pay, no advancement, and employees are not people they are just a number.

Advice to Management

Scrap your HR department and hire some managers that are not engineers.

"Daktronics treats people like machines and they enjoy having a lot of turnover out on the floor."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daktronics has very good benefits and there are a lot of interesting people that work there, but it is still a depressing place because these nice people are all paid low and not given enough recognition, so the morale is always low out on the floor.

Cons

Upper management needs to appreciate the entry level managers (crew leaders) more and compensate them better. They are the ones driving morale and efficiency on the production line. They are held to a high standard when it comes to policies, but they are only paid .75 more than an assembly worker.

Advice to Management

6. "One of the worst employment experiences ever!"

Former Employee - General Assembly in Redwood Falls, MN
    Former Employee - General Assembly in Redwood Falls, MN

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Startup of the Redwood Falls facility was wonderful.

Cons

This all soon changed when micromanagement set in. There was much favoritism and employee abuse going on. This facility has the worst planning and scheduling I have seen in all of my working years. Work hours/days changed several times a day/week and with no notice to the employees who were to follow these schedules. In the few years they have been in Redwood Falls, MN they have made a very bad reputation for themselves. I would not recommend this employer to anyone who enjoys their basic human rights, safety, or wants a position with the potential for advancement. Higher management has no clue how lower management is treating employees and needs to wake up to what is really going on.

Advice to Management

Look at how the leads are treating people. They are not nice or even cordial many times. When an employee asks a question it is not okay to scream at them until they leave crying. This happened far too often when I was there. People in management positions (leads) should know how to do the jobs in the area before they tell others the "best" way to preform the job.

"Minimum Pay, Minimum Return"

Pros

Good local community supporter, convenient.

Cons

Absolutely outrageously low paying. Human Resource department does whatever they want, whenever they want. Very gossipy office culture, numerous adulterous in-office relationships. Low grade benefits package. Definitely a last resort employer.

Advice to Management

Rebuild your entire HR and personnel department.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to this company.

Cons

I quit because I couldn't stomach watching them poor chemicals down the drain anymore. There are no real safety standards either. I'm surprised OSHA hasn't stepped in and shut them down.

"Used to be good. Now really bad."

I worked at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Relatively modern facility.
    Some benefits available.

Cons

Extremely low pay for both manufacturing and office based employees.
    Wages capped for certain employees.
    Very small raises and often no raises at all.
    Far too much emphasis put on employment evaluations.
    Terrible internal software - buggy and slow.
    Minimal benefits with very little choice.
    Only one way to accrue time off for any reason - no sick leave, no paid vacation.
    HR department has way too much power which it uses to the detriment of employees.
    Hostile work environment - employees harassed, threatened and bullied.
    Far too many middle managers with very little to do.
    Experienced workers fired and replaced with students who are paid much less.
    Employees treated with total disrespect by supervisors and HR dept.
    Ineffective supervisors promoted laterally instead of being fired.
    Total lack of ethics among managerial staff.
    Slavish implementation of corporate philosophies without actually understanding them.
    If you don't have a degree you will most likely never be promoted.
    Arrogant leadership totally detached from the realities of being an average employee.
    Favoritism shown to long term management staff irrespective of their ability.
    Oppressive privacy rules - staff IM messages, emails, phone calls etc. all recorded and monitored.
    Very low staff morale.

Advice to Management

You are arrogant. That's the first thing that needs to change. The HR department leadership is tyrannical and wields far too much power. It should be restructured. There are too many middle managers who have been coasting for years with no real job description. This had lead to there being an entire level of bureaucracy which is not only superfluous to requirements but also costs the company money in the form of salaries and benefits. It should be eliminated. After having removed all the dead weight, you should pay the remaining employees properly. There are other choices for employment locally. Underpaying employees and providing substandard benefits is not going to serve you well in the long term. Daktronics is a tech company. Look at successful tech companies to see how things should be done. Here's a few suggestions to get you started: better than average salaries, more choice in retirement planning, paid vacation, sick leave, free breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks, modern office furniture, flextime and a non draconian privacy policy. Stop implementing useless, gimmicky corporate fads. You are doing far more harm than good. Lean, for example, should not have a department. It should be inherent in all departments. A Lean department is the antithesis of Lean. Spending hours in meetings discussing when to have the next meeting then writing an A3 to determine the root cause for further analysis then organizing a gemba and misinterpreting the word kaizen might sound comical but, in reality, it's extremely detrimental to employee morale. Remember, the phrase "innovate or die" does not only apply to products.

"Worked hard, underpaid, no advancement."

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck, the health benefits are somewhat decent.

Cons

Even if you have an Engineering Degree that doesn't mean you'll get an "Engineering Job" with this company. They like to hire people as a technician and make them do the exact same work as the engineers, but for about half the pay. It's bad enough that this company underpays its workers compared to other companies around here, but still. I have just as much schooling and skill as the "Engineers" I work with but as soon as an Engineering position opens they give it to someone from outside the company that just graduated and has minimal knowledge about Daktronics and its products.

The big hurdle to career advancement here is that Daktronics is truly all about who you know and not what you know. Unless you are willing to kiss someone's behind you'll never get a head here.

Another issue is that management ignores any advice you try to give them about a situation. I can't even count how many times I have tried to give some sort of advice to them when I see a problem with the way the are trying to implement a change and had them say something along the lines of "well you don't see the big picture that we do", just to then have it blow up in their face. I have had to bite my tongue so many times to keep from telling them "I told you so".

On the issue of HARASSMENT, I have seen so many instances where one of my coworkers was repeatedly berated by Line Lead and she had gone to HR multiple times about the as well as the Supervisor and NOTHING WAS DONE! It all ended when she had enough of the HARASSMENT and walked out at break one day in tears and never returned.

Favoritism: we had a guy that would brag about things that he was able to STEAL from the scrap bin (which is a big no-no) and was able to sell them on Ebay, management was informed and never did a thing about it until someone from a different department caught this guy stealing brand new Surface Pro Tablets worth about $10,000. It took something major before this man was fired, on top of that the work he did (when he actually did work) was sub par and despite multiple complaints about his poor workmanship that the rest of us would have to fix nothing ever got done... good riddance to him.

You know how some companies give their employees some form of Christmas bonus, even if it's only $50 to $100... yeah, Dak gives you a $5 T-shirt. I've worked in fast food and around Christmas our store manager gave general labor a $25 gift card, supervisors got $50, and assistant managers got $75... a fast food taco joint gave us a better bonus than a company that $20.8 Million in Net income in 2015.

Someone will probably figure out who wrote this and I'll get fired shortly after, but hey not like I need money to be able to feed my infant right?

The pay raises suck, I got better raises in fast food, I sometimes got a $0.75/hr raise. At Dak it seems the max raise is $0.50 even if you perform way better than your boss expected, went above and beyond... for some of us that translates to our raise being LESS THAN annual inflation. Which means eventually our salary wont be able to keep up with the cost of living, and the higher ups don't care, they never do.

Circling back to the issue of advancement, one of the things that has always bugged me is that they will open up dozens of student positions, but rarely open up a new full time position of the same type. Daktronics would rather hire three or four students to do a job instead of giving one or two of their full time employees an opportunity to advance their career. I have seen so many people that started with this company, but then leave because there is almost no way up from wherever you start. Even if you are one of the lucky few that do advance its because you have to fight multiple times to get a head (unless you're into kissing butts).

I would say the work life balance is pretty good since I don't end up working from home or on weekends very often, but this places stresses me out so much that it still eats away at me even when I'm off work.

Advice to Management

Address the issues in the "Cons" section

Daktronics Response

Apr 14, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your candid feedback. If you have felt as though your voice was not being heard, we apologize for that. Please know we strive to have the type of environment where employees feel... More