Daktronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Daktronics Reviews

Updated October 2, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Daktronics generally promotes a collaborative work environment that encourages employees to work together to help our customers (in 16 reviews)

• Management does a good job letting employees have a good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay starting if you do not have many credits (get paid more per credit completed with an A or B (in 10 reviews)

• Hard to continue to advance within the company due to upper management having a lot of seniority and not retiring any time soon (in 7 reviews)

"Good people but sometimes frustrating for career advancement"

I worked at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Some good people to work with, HR encourages growth, they try to make it a good work environment

Cons

The pay is great in some areas but not in others. Engineers can make a lot more somewhere else. They also draw a big line between hourly and salary employees in each department. Many people that are very qualified with Bachelor's degrees are hired as hourly employees (in the professional depts) with many of the same responsibilities as the salaried employees but paid lower and given less freedom in their work and in their work/life balance. Hourly employees are definitely not treated as well and they can't do certain things (attend trainings or conferences in their field) even though they have the same level and type of education as the salaried people. In summary, if you are hourly, you are going to get treated like a doormat and not as competent.

Advice to Management

Stop drawing such a thick line between hourly and salaried employees. I felt like hourly employees are treated as second class citizens and it's why a lot of them that I personally know of have left the company. Hourly employees have just as much (sometimes more!) education, talent and knowledge than their salaried counterparts so there is no reason to treat them like they need to "earn" certain privileges. You are losing a lot of great talent because of the way you separate the two groups.

"Customer service"

I have been working at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Flexibility with work hours and ability to move within the company.

Cons

Supervisors vary greatly from bad to good. Leaders are chosen thru political network - not necessarily due to skill and understanding. Once a supervisor, they never hold that person accountable. Pay varies according to what they can get by with. Don't count on being paid on your performance. Someone doing less may be paid more. Supervisors may load work on you for months if not years until you leave. Overtime is expected of salary employees - and a lot of it. Bad leaders stay. It's up to you to find the right team or supervisor and move to them.

3. "Sales"

I have been working at Daktronics full-time

Pros

Management does a good job letting employees have a good work/life balance.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities in regional locations.

"Worked hard, underpaid, no advancement."

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get a paycheck, the health benefits are somewhat decent.

Cons

Even if you have an Engineering Degree that doesn't mean you'll get an "Engineering Job" with this company. They like to hire people as a technician and make them do the exact same work as the engineers, but for about half the pay. It's bad enough that this company underpays its workers compared to other companies around here, but still. I have just as much schooling and skill as the "Engineers" I work with but as soon as an Engineering position opens they give it to someone from outside the company that just graduated and has minimal knowledge about Daktronics and its products.

The big hurdle to career advancement here is that Daktronics is truly all about who you know and not what you know. Unless you are willing to kiss someone's behind you'll never get a head here.

Another issue is that management ignores any advice you try to give them about a situation. I can't even count how many times I have tried to give some sort of advice to them when I see a problem with the way the are trying to implement a change and had them say something along the lines of "well you don't see the big picture that we do", just to then have it blow up in their face. I have had to bite my tongue so many times to keep from telling them "I told you so".

On the issue of HARASSMENT, I have seen so many instances where one of my coworkers was repeatedly berated by Line Lead and she had gone to HR multiple times about the as well as the Supervisor and NOTHING WAS DONE! It all ended when she had enough of the HARASSMENT and walked out at break one day in tears and never returned.

Favoritism: we had a guy that would brag about things that he was able to STEAL from the scrap bin (which is a big no-no) and was able to sell them on Ebay, management was informed and never did a thing about it until someone from a different department caught this guy stealing brand new Surface Pro Tablets worth about $10,000. It took something major before this man was fired, on top of that the work he did (when he actually did work) was sub par and despite multiple complaints about his poor workmanship that the rest of us would have to fix nothing ever got done... good riddance to him.

You know how some companies give their employees some form of Christmas bonus, even if it's only $50 to $100... yeah, Dak gives you a $5 T-shirt. I've worked in fast food and around Christmas our store manager gave general labor a $25 gift card, supervisors got $50, and assistant managers got $75... a fast food taco joint gave us a better bonus than a company that $20.8 Million in Net income in 2015.

Someone will probably figure out who wrote this and I'll get fired shortly after, but hey not like I need money to be able to feed my infant right?

The pay raises suck, I got better raises in fast food, I sometimes got a $0.75/hr raise. At Dak it seems the max raise is $0.50 even if you perform way better than your boss expected, went above and beyond... for some of us that translates to our raise being LESS THAN annual inflation. Which means eventually our salary wont be able to keep up with the cost of living, and the higher ups don't care, they never do.

Circling back to the issue of advancement, one of the things that has always bugged me is that they will open up dozens of student positions, but rarely open up a new full time position of the same type. Daktronics would rather hire three or four students to do a job instead of giving one or two of their full time employees an opportunity to advance their career. I have seen so many people that started with this company, but then leave because there is almost no way up from wherever you start. Even if you are one of the lucky few that do advance its because you have to fight multiple times to get a head (unless you're into kissing butts).

I would say the work life balance is pretty good since I don't end up working from home or on weekends very often, but this places stresses me out so much that it still eats away at me even when I'm off work.

Advice to Management

Address the issues in the "Cons" section

Daktronics Response

Apr 14, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your candid feedback. If you have felt as though your voice was not being heard, we apologize for that. Please know we strive to have the type of environment where employees feel... More

"Lots of flexibility for 25% less pay."

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a ton of flexibility for those looking to work remote or have flexible hours. It seems that more and more people are taking advantage of this opportunity. It's a great place to work as a student because it seems students are given the same responsibilities as full-time staff.

Cons

One major con is the pay. I've found the pay to be about 25% below the industry average. Secondly, there is a lack of accountability. People don't follow the processes put in place and others have to go back to clean up the work instead of holding people accountable to do what is expected. Lastly, I think the company cares more about developing student employees than catering to their existing, full-time staff.

Daktronics Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

Thanks for your review. We are glad that you appreciate the flexibility of our work arrangements. We strive to provide developmental, professional experiences for all employees.

Regarding... More

6. "Opportunities abound, fun place to work, great people, flexibility when you need it."

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Skilled teams, fun, flexible schedules. You can have a challenging, diverse career all within one company. Encourages employee growth.

Cons

Office space is dull, boring and uninspiring.

7. "Great Fulfillment But Underpaid"

I worked at Daktronics full-time

Pros

The promotion of teamwork makes working at Daktronics feel like a true democracy in which your voice is being heard. The travel opportunities and event involvement is outstanding. The product is solid, which makes selling and supporting it easy. There's opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Good pay is top heavy.

"I like it"

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Representative in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I think they truly care about their employees. They have flexibility (hours, location), make an excellent product for cool customers (NFL, McDonalds) and there are great coworkers.

Cons

Though I feel overall Daktronics is an excellent employer, it's really all about one's supervisor. If you a current employee and you don't like your supervisor, your not going to like Daktronics. Not all supervisors here are great but many are.

9. "Good place for students"

I worked at Daktronics part-time

Pros

Not too much pressure on students

Cons

Don't expect to be taught too much.

10. "Administrative Assistant Student"

Pros

Flexible schedule and good pay incentives for students! A great place to work as a student.

Cons

I haven't had any big problems here!