Daktronics Reviews | Glassdoor

Daktronics Reviews

Updated April 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Daktronics generally promotes a collaborative work environment that encourages employees to work together to help our customers (in 15 reviews)

• Great Work Life Balance and People (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay starting if you do not have many credits (get paid more per credit completed with an A or B (in 10 reviews)

• Hard to continue to advance within the company due to upper management having a lot of seniority and not retiring any time soon (in 7 reviews)

"Software Engineer Intern"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Brookings, SD

Pros

I was luck enough to get placed onto a team with extremely knowledgeable people. Extremely smart, could tell you just about everything you need to know about C# and have a very good understanding of the projects the team works on. Cubes where you work are large and have plenty of space. For my workstation I got a brand new computer which is worth over $2,500 and can do anything you need, also got brand new dual monitors.

Cons

Code base is very large, and takes time to find your way around. Code is not commented at all, and in my opinion the 'var' keyword in C# is used for every single variable they use in their code. Makes it hard to read. Have not done much straight up development, more so bug fixes and small feature additions.

2. "Electrical Design"

Current Employee - Electrical Design in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Electrical Design in Brookings, SD

Pros

Great people, culture, and values. Exciting seeing product all of the world and on TV that was manufactured in Bookings, SD.

Cons

The work can sometimes be very repetitive and the salary could be a bit higher.

3. "Working at Daktronics was a great experience!"

Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Buyer/Planner in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fellow employees were helpful and friendly
    -Relevant projects that impacted multiple business units
    -Course increment pay is fantastic

Cons

-Work at times can vary due to season

5. "One of the worst employment experiences ever!"

Former Employee - General Assembly in Redwood Falls, MN
    Former Employee - General Assembly in Redwood Falls, MN

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Startup of the Redwood Falls facility was wonderful.

Cons

This all soon changed when micromanagement set in. There was much favoritism and employee abuse going on. This facility has the worst planning and scheduling I have seen in all of my working years. Work hours/days changed several times a day/week and with no notice to the employees who were to follow these schedules. In the few years they have been in Redwood Falls, MN they have made a very bad reputation for themselves. I would not recommend this employer to anyone who enjoys their basic human rights, safety, or wants a position with the potential for advancement. Higher management has no clue how lower management is treating employees and needs to wake up to what is really going on.

Advice to Management

Look at how the leads are treating people. They are not nice or even cordial many times. When an employee asks a question it is not okay to scream at them until they leave crying. This happened far too often when I was there. People in management positions (leads) should know how to do the jobs in the area before they tell others the "best" way to preform the job.

6. "Project Coordinator Student"

Former Employee - Student Project Coordinator in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Student Project Coordinator in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to get a background on how things operate in the background when a project comes down the pipeline.

Cons

Can be hard to really get into the job, work can be tedious data entry.

Advice to Management

Compensate those who have invested significant quantities of their time and career towards the company better. Most people appreciate the work environment, however good talent is lost to those who can reward their employees better.

7. "Great starting career opportunities with many avenues for success."

Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Buyer/Planner in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, healthy work environment.

Cons

Lack of leadership, small-thinkers, do not invest in quality employees.

"Terrible work experience"

Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Redwood Falls, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Tech in Redwood Falls, MN

I worked at Daktronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are good if you can afford them.

Cons

Worked the night shift in Redwood Falls. If there was any job movement people from the previous company before Daktronics acquired them seem to get all the job growth. Your experience is not taken into consideration. They try to keep everyone you work with on a even playing field holding the people with more to offer from gaining any job advancement. Way to many people who are related working there. Micromanaged. Supervisors have no idea what there employees are capable of as far as job skills. If you don't agree with how they are doing things and bring up ideas on how to improve they tell you they have it all figured out and wont listen to you. If you know more then your coworkers they will vindicate you to management so you cant get a head of them in job placement. The work life balance is terrible. The shift that has the worse hours is the one that always has to work extra overtime which means you have no family or personal life. Some shifts never put in more then thirty six hours a week while most others are working fifty plus. Night shift Supervisor comes and goes as she pleases and is gone for hours at a time. I could go on but I am sure you get my point.

Advice to Management

Watch what goes on in Redwood Falls more closely. You have big moral problems among the workers because of how they get treated by management. No trust in upper management.

9. "Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Sales in Brookings, SD
    Current Employee - Sales in Brookings, SD

I have been working at Daktronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for college grads. Internship is gateway to full time offer. Diverse experience. Young workers given advanced experience and responsibilities.

Cons

Benefits are good for young, healthy workers. A lot of out-of-pocket if you are sick or have a family. Too much focus on process, not enough on being the industry leader.

Advice to Management

Don't forget what put us on top in the first place. Lead the industry and don't let internal bloat bog us down.

10. "Student position was favorite job I have had so far."

Former Employee - Human Resources Student in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Human Resources Student in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun relaxed atmosphere, daily work and projects were presented clearly, got to work on projects and daily work that I felt really applied to my career goals, pay increases from course increments were great (really offset the low base pay, the increments can really add up for students who work there for multiple years). This experience has helped me get opportunities at a lot of big companies after my graduation.

Cons

Base pay was low and also seemed low for FT employees

11. "Excellent student opportunities available"

Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD
    Former Employee - Materials Buyer/Planner Student in Brookings, SD

I worked at Daktronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Daktronics allows for autonomy in the workplace. There are friendly and respectful coworkers. Student employees are treated like full-time employees rather than just seen as students.

Cons

The one con is that I would have liked to see more of the upper management, even if it was just a quick trip around the plant on an afternoon to wave at employees.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting student employment. It offers a great place to work for students and gives real opportunities to learn real-world knowledge. Hopefully enough students transition to full-time upon graduation that the investment is worth it.