Dallas County Community College District Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Joe D. May

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits, including vacation time during the holidays and spring break off (in 6 reviews)

• Work/life balance is great here (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't offer full time jobs (in 6 reviews)

• Part-time, not many classes available for pick up (in 3 reviews)

1. "Adjunct Faculty Member"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty Member in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas County Community College District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility in terms of lesson plans, easy eConnect system for results submission, helpful and nice staff.

Cons

Part-time, not many classes available for pick up

Advice to Management

Keep doing! Great place for work!

2. "Career Services"

Current Employee - Career Services Advisor
    Current Employee - Career Services Advisor

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The District is committed to ongoing training and development. There is a strong sense of community and teamwork. Staff and faculty genuinely care about student success. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Salaries are lower than I am accustomed to.

3. "In the great state of Texas"

Pros

A great place to start if your looking for up to date education in the industry of welding, inspection, and testing

Cons

(Political tape) Funding could be increased by the school district to allow students to personally build onto the education facility....We are welders ya know!

4. "Adjunct Instructor"

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District part-time

Pros

You can schedule classes around your own time, if they're available. Some colleges are better to work at than others.

Cons

You only get 3 classes maximum and your pay depends on how many you have, so you could make between $500-$1500, but it's often that you'll only get 2 classes. They don't really have any benefits unless your full-time and they don't help out much when it comes to getting your Master's degree which is needed for a full-time position. Many of the instructors only do it as a side gig, so they don't really put 100% effort in and I don't blame them.

Advice to Management

Let adjuncts work more.

5. "peer tutor"

Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Peer Tutor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible with schedule, great environment

Cons

Max 19.5 hours per week

6. "Pathways Everywhere - Except for Employees"

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time

Pros

1. The people you'll work alongside. They are passionate about their work, talented, and dedicated to the overall mission. This warm, friendly culture is why many stay for life. The culture applies at districtwide for the most part.
    2. Work-life balance. If you are staff, you can count on regular hours. No staying late. As for faculty and admins, it depends on the department and college location.
    3. The benefits, including vacation time during the holidays and spring break off. Also good healthcare! And they are always trying to keep improving the benefits, probably to distract people from con #3.

Cons

1. No pathways for career advancement. Most supervisor(s) will not create a firm plan for you to grow your skills and move up in the organization. That is up to you to figure out (good luck). Which is frustrating with constant talk of helping students advance their careers, but never our employees.
    2. Working on a task? Things will progress slowly due to lack of consistency across the colleges. The left hand rarely knows what the right is doing. You'll find multiple committees working on the same goal.
    3. The salaries. Most are not market rate. The jobs that pay decently will be in the admin area, so plan to move into management if you want to make decent money. Most will ask for a masters or higher. So take that little money you make and go spend it for hopes at moving up. no guarantees or firm plans though. See con #1.

Advice to Management

Career paths for employees. This will help retain and motivate motivate new generations of employees who likely won't stay long just for "the friendly culture."

7. "Quality Assurance"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This location is very good.

Cons

Lack of support for professional growth.

Advice to Management

I am seeking new opportunities for growth.

8. "Good work environment"

I worked at Dallas County Community College District full-time

Pros

I enjoyed the friendly and professional work environment. People treated each other with respect. Good place to work.

Cons

The pay for most of the positions is very low compared to other colleges with similar positions. People worked there for many years and would apply to other positions to make a little more money. If people left it was usually because of the low pay.

Advice to Management

Make the pay comparable to other community colleges in the state.

9. "Losing faith"

I have been working at Dallas County Community College District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability
    Opportunity to learn new skills through robust PD programs
    Service to community

Cons

District leadership is absolutely dismal
    Chancellor May
    Centralization is diminishing impact of individual campuses on distinct communities

Advice to Management

Allow the leadership at each college to serve its unique student body in unique ways
    Hire for the experience and potential; not the PhD

10. "Raise the Parking Stipend!"

Pros

Amazing students. They are willing to learn and put in the work. They are the reason why I teach and enjoy my field.

Cons

The parking, the parking and the parking. I work at the downtown campus and it's ridiculous how Adjuncts only get $100 for a semester. Parking is constantly going up. On average, I will pay $10-12 a day. There is cheaper parking but it's several blocks away from campus and with the heat and the creepy people by the train station, I cannot do it. Plus many of the cheaper parking lots only have space for like 7 cars and they fill up fast. I've been teaching since 2014 and the stipend is still the same. They say it's the budget. I have plenty of students who drive and not use the free dart pass. That could be why the enrollment has gone down over the years. In addition, please make more full time positions in the humanities and not just stem. There are courses that are mandatory but we are not considered as important.

Advice to Management

Think about your staff. We already are having to pay for parking and you can't even give us enough money for a living wage