Dallas Independent School District Reviews in Texas | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Hinojosa

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of communication of District's teacher evaluation system (in 7 reviews)

• Absolutely no support from administration, admin have very little compassion or empathy for students or teachers, micromanagement by admin (in 7 reviews)

1. "teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salaries are competitive, but the cost of living is also higher.

Cons

This is the most negative environment in which I've ever taught.

Advice to Management

Remember that you were a teacher once.

2. "Teacher"

Former Employee - CTE Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - CTE Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay to live wherever you desire. There are many schools to choose from and some great staff are employed here.

Cons

Pay not enough for all the work teachers get and do. Students are not great. District is very unorganized. No pay raises due to TEI program that is honestly not fair to any teachers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of TEI and pay teachers for there degrees and years in the career.

"Top Administration Doesn't Respect or Listen to Employees"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching some of the sweetest kids around, supportive coworkers, summers off (kind of)

Cons

I quit under Superintendent Mike Miles. I would come back in a heartbeat if district level attitudes and policies toward teachers rewound to the way they were the year I started (2007). District admin seem to be more focused on rolling out the next trademarked, multi-million dollar initiative, than asking the teachers to just do what is right for their students! Children are cooped up in overcrowded, windowless classrooms all day. Recess is shunned even when studies prove health and learning benefits. The district continues to whittle away at teacher's personal family time, while increasing scrutiny and failing to increase pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to teachers! They are the ones who actually work with the students. Also, look at what schools in Finland do and try to duplicate it!

5. "Run Far Far Away"

Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was attracted to the district because of the salary, closeness to home, and the way it marketed itself as a progressive school district.

Cons

Crooked management, micromanaging, meetings about meetings, unrealistic expectations, weekday tutoring, saturday school, treated teachers like low-lifes. I quit after 5 weeks.

Advice to Management

Quit hiring crooked managers.

6. "Bilingual Teacher"

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dallas Independent School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good students, schools are near home and plenty of autonomy.

Cons

TEI is horrible! External DTR team very incompetent that visited my classroom for 30 minutes! Marked in observation report 1.5 out of 3.0, class was on top talking, a great MRS with a well behaved group all had graphic organizers and the teacher all diving into the text, what more?
    From what I hear, TEI is still a disaster! Insist to managers to model a 3.0 with a varied group of students!

Advice to Management

Salaries need to increase, eliminate TEI. Biased TEI sytem that desperately needs changes otherwise more teachers will walk out!

"Fooled me once...shame on you and me"

Former Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Dallas, TX

Pros

I didn't have duty except once a day for 15 minutes. The job paid well but not as well as I thought it would pay.

Cons

John F. Kennedy is a school that is not to be trusted. The administration at that time was not good at all. The principal showed me one side of the school but hid the worst parts. I hope things have changed since she ran off or fired over half the staff and then she moved to Houston. District is WAY too large. It needs to be broken down into much much smaller single districts. Thank God, Mike Miles left, he was a joke. Principals decide the most effective way is to yell at the faculty and staff instead of discuss. Micro-managed.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way of the teachers. They are the professionals, they don't need your micromanagement.

8. "Meh"

Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Having the opportunity to teach and nurture a child of any age is always a good thing.

Cons

Dallas ISD loves the words "engagement" and "effective". It's gotten to the point where administrators use the words out of context. Administrators love to see students working together and talking to one another during class with little concern of whether the students are actually learning. Ever hear of sharing the same wrong answers? Teachers are scored based on how much "student engagement" is taking place in the classroom. So, lazy and incompetent teachers can easily get away with bluffing or pretending to teach. Teachers who actually take the time to TEACH are penalized.

Principals and assistant principals can easily use the TEI rating system as a tool to manipulate teacher scores. No one from the district ever comes in to score the teacher to make sure that the principals are being fair.

My advice to prospective teachers is to run, don't walk to a different district. Don't be fooled by the highest teacher salary line. Visit the websites of other districts. Dallas ISD pays only $500 per year extra for entry level teachers on average. The starting pay for new teachers is $50,000. Another DFW district actually pays $1,000 more. Teachers who are performing well based on their evaluation scores receive a pay raise. If the teacher scores lower the following year, the teacher's raise will be deducted. Other than making a difference in the lives of students who need the support there really is no incentive to work as a teacher for this district.

Advice to Management

My experience teaching at Dallas ISD has been less than positive. I can handle students with behavior issues. What I cannot tolerate is incompetence, hostility, and unfair treatment from administrators. There is no advice to give. Teachers have been complaining about the same issues for years. What are you going to do?

9. "Substitute teacher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, only have to work 25 days out of a school year. Choose days and assignments . Off holidays but don't get paid for them.

Cons

No pay raise in 15 years ...they want you to have a degree but don't want to pay you for it ...Education

Advice to Management

Pay your employees foe what you are encouraging students to obtain...a degree that pays the. enough to make a living ! They expect an awful lot and pay very little for havina degree without certification. ..

10. "Bilingual Elem Teacher"

Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary School Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Elementary School Teacher in Dallas, TX

Pros

The district offers good pay.
    My experience was always with good kids.
    Most of my experience was with supportive parents.

Cons

I am becoming depressed just thinking about this. No support from administration, principal on up. Unless you define support as walk throughs / gotcha moments. They say that it is to determine if you need help. But they start a paper trail in order first chance they get. It didn't matter that I was a top tier teacher in 2008/2009 and 2007/2008. It didn't matter that I had a masters degree. It didn't matter that I consistently showed up early and worked late. For DISD the name of the game is MICRO MANAGEMENT!!!! If you want to be a practitioner of your trade, a true professional, then I would stay far away from Dallas.

Advice to Management

Don't fix what isn't broken.
    Give personnel the benefit of the doubt.
    Leave teachers alone until they show that students aren't learning......hint...this can take a year or more.

UNHAPPY TEACHERS OR OTHER EMPLOYEES ARE NEVER IN THE BEST INTEREST OF CHILDREN. SO STOP THE FOOLISHNESS.

"Don't Settle!"

Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Teacher, Elementary School in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Dallas Independent School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I must say I miss the former superintendent that led true reform for this district.

Cons

Gross lack of leadership and professionalism. Effectiveness does not lead to being hired or promoted. That is determined by who you know and what sorority or fraternity you belong to. In addition, there is a common thread amongst ineffective leadership in this district. There is not a focus on students on many of these campuses.